Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debs are a ripoff!!!

Options
  • 24-01-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

are debs committee decided to organise our debs this year through debs ireland. €87 per ticket.... anyone else think thats ridiculous. theres supposed to be a medieval theme to it but they just use that for every school they do and so we are paying for decorations that they reuse over and over again. don't book with debs ireland if your wise! how much is everyone else paying for their tickets??????????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

laura! wrote: »
    are debs committee decided to organise our debs this year through debs ireland. €87 per ticket.... anyone else think thats ridiculous. theres supposed to be a medieval theme to it but they just use that for every school they do and so we are paying for decorations that they reuse over and over again. don't book with debs ireland if your wise! how much is everyone else paying for their tickets??????????

Anyone think there's a debs thread already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Welcome to Rip-Off Republic. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm on our Debs commitee (kind of wish I'd never been roped into it :rolleyes:). We booked through Debs Ireland, and our tickets are €90 each. We've seen the venue and are very happy with it. We've heard the spiel about everything they're offering, and we like the sound of it! Plus, it means they organise everything, rather than have to book things separately. Besides, €87 seems like an average. I've heard of people paying over €100 a ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

I'm on our Debs commitee (kind of wish I'd never been roped into it :rolleyes:). We booked through Debs Ireland, and our tickets are €90 each. We've seen the venue and are very happy with it. We've heard the spiel about everything they're offering, and we like the sound of it! Plus, it means they organise everything, rather than have to book things separately. Besides, €87 seems like an average. I've heard of people paying over €100 a ticket!

well other schools in my town are organising it themselves and they are only paying €45. there was one last week and they only paid €40 and word is that it was great venue, meal, decorations etc. so if you can get it for that price it does seem steep when you have to consider all your other expesses.

well other schools in my town are organising it themselves and they are only paying €45. there was one last week and they only paid €40 and word is that it was great venue, meal, decorations etc. so if you can get it for that price it does seem steep when you have to consider all your other expesses.

Dont go if its such a rip off............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

€87 euro a ticket seems pretty reasonable to me. Then again my debs is €150 euro a ticket and we don't get half of what debs Ireland offers.

Fad wrote: »
    Dont go if its such a rip off............

are you actually even suggesting that a girl wouldn't go to her own debs!!!!hahahaha your funny

Well it is your choice to go, you don't *have* to pay the €87 euro if you feel you're being ripped off that much.

I know 300 euro for two tickets is a rip off, but I'm still going to go (but might go alone)

Well, book with whoever the €40/€45 tickets people are booking with then! Tickets for our schools debs last year were €60 and it was absolute rubbish (there were flies on the table... flies!). Whereas the school up the road paid €90 and had a really great night. Seems to be you get what you pay for. The €40 people were very lucky.
    Piste wrote: »
    €87 euro a ticket seems pretty reasonable to me. Then again my debs is €150 euro a ticket and we don't get half of what debs Ireland offers.

Pistes tickets are a rip off though! What are you getting then?

The Shelbourne and a club. Really not that much when you think about it, just a fancy meal in a fancy hotel. Then again I also wanted to have my wedding in the Shelbourne but have decided against it cos I'm having my debs there. So think how much money I'll be saving my getting married elsewhere, far more than 300 euro. So really I'm saving money.

/logic

• Advertisement

are you actually even suggesting that a girl wouldn't go to her own debs!!!!hahahaha your funny

Hahahaha, you're funny. It's really not that big a deal. It's just a glorified session. You'll go out many more times in your life, in fancy dresses and all. And it won't cost you €87 per person.
    The Shelbourne and a club. Really not that much when you think about it, just a fancy meal in a fancy hotel. Then again I also wanted to have my wedding in the Shelbourne but have decided against it cos I'm having my debs there. So think how much money I'll be saving my getting married elsewhere, far more than 300 euro. So really I'm saving money.

Ah, it's a long term plan really. I see. When you think of it that way, it makes perfect sense! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

maybe debs are a rip off, but i thought you said dabs, and i think dabs is great value, going now,my debs was 13 years ago

I think you'll find that is my suggestion, if you have a problem with the cost, but still wouldnt even consider not going, then why complain?
    /logic

Our recession will be cured by Piste! Screw medicine and become the female and non-annoying Eddie Hobbes (Where did he get to actually?)

i get to complain because my year didn't have a choice when our committee picked debs ireland. but of course i would go to my debs no matter what the price. its the last time i will see most of the girls i go to school with because not a single one of them is going to college anywhere near where i'm going

i get to complain because my year didn't have a choice when our committee picked debs ireland. but of course i would go to my debs no matter what the price. its the last time i will see most of the girls i go to school with because not a single one of them is going to college anywhere near where i'm going

You could always organise your own night out another time! Just because you won't see them everyday doesn't mean you have to never see them again! There's only one girl in my year planning to go to the same college as me - this won't stop me seeing my old friends! :D

i'm goin to college in galway and they are all either going to dublin or over to england!!!! so it'll be tough to see them because i'll only be coming home at christmas

i'm goin to college in galway and they are all either going to dublin or over to england!!!! so it'll be tough to see them because i'll only be coming home at christmas

Fair enough. Just as a matter of interest which hotel did you choose, do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Tickets for mine are only 60:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

My debs were around 80 euro

It was actually a good night from the parts i can remember..

I dunno why people have such big problems with debs

Generally the Debs committee exists to bypass the involvement/requirement of cosultation of the entire year. I'd say they did the best that they could.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Generally the Debs committee exists to bypass the involvement/requirement of cosultation of the entire year. I'd say they did the best that they could.

the debs committee get they're own V.I.P. room that we're not allowed into with free champagne and a wii in it all night. thats why they picked debsireland.

its in the carrick court hotel..

the debs committee get they're own V.I.P. room that we're not allowed into with free champagne and a wii in it all night. thats why they picked debsireland.

Then you should have been apart of the debs commitee and tell them what you want instead of ranting about it on boards

And not the fact that they tend to organise fairly decent debs?
    I'm sure a VIP room with a WII is gonna be great craic when EVERYONE else will be out enjoying themselves, drinking themselves stupid, having fun with eachother, NOT playing video games :)

names were picked out of a hat so i couldn't

names were picked out of a hat so i couldn't

Then its not there fault

If names were picked out of a hat, they were probably pushed by the school to use Debs Ireland by the school, the school could only affiliate with Debs Ireland

Oh yeah, I forgot about the VIP room. I've been in it though - it's not that exciting. And I'd imagine by the end of the night, whoever wants in, gets in, and who cares really. It's just a room with some seats, a Wii, big flat screen, and eh, thta's about it. Heard nothing of free champagne.

Oh, we were considering that one, but chose The Park Inn instead, because we liked the drive up/entrance thing.

Tbh, there's a lot of crap involved in being on a Debs Committee, and don't get me started on the money end of things :rolleyes:. We gave our year a choice of various different places, so that they couldn't moan - and they still moan. They brought it to the Principal for ****s sake, and naturally these are the people who won't actually organise something, just moan when they don't feel its done right. If you wanted more say, you should've been on the committee. Otherwise you can't really moan, it's really unfair on the committee who probably, as Fad said, did their best, even if you think it was just because of a little room with a Wii.

Carroller wrote: »
    Then its not there fault

If names were picked out of a hat, they were probably pushed by the school to use Debs Ireland by the school, the school could only affiliate with Debs Ireland

nah they had the choice to do whatever they wanted. lots of places sent brochures and that

nah they had the choice to do whatever they wanted. lots of places sent brochures and that

Tough Shiz :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about the VIP room. I've been in it though - it's not that exciting. And I'd imagine by the end of the night, whoever wants in, gets in, and who cares really. It's just a room with some seats, a Wii, big flat screen, and eh, thta's about it. Heard nothing of free champagne.

Oh, we were considering that one, but chose The Park Inn instead, because we liked the drive up/entrance thing.

Tbh, there's a lot of crap involved in being on a Debs Committee, and don't get me started on the money end of things :rolleyes:. We gave our year a choice of various different places, so that they couldn't moan - and they still moan. They brought it to the Principal for ****s sake, and naturally these are the people who won't actually organise something, just moan when they don't feel its done right. If you wanted more say, you should've been on the committee. Otherwise you can't really moan, it's really unfair on the committee who probably, as Fad said, did their best, even if you think it was just because of a little room with a Wii.

the park inn... there's been alot of rumours of it closing down. are you from dundalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ha, the tickets for my debs were only €40 each last year. And that included the works- 4 course meal, the band, "champagne" reception.
    I dunno.

If you don't want to spend much money then don't be wasteful about stuff like... the dress. Borrow one off someone else or get one in warehouse or something. Meh.
    And don't get a tack-tastic limo. Do your own make-up etc.

Advertisement