Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3G speeds on vodafone prepay

Options
  • 24-01-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,

I have my 3G iphone working with 'Cellular Data Network' on a prepay sim card from vodafone ( its an old sim card ) using isp.vodafone.ie and it works fine. I use it when i am desperately in need of access some information in remote locations were no free wifi exists.

My question is if I enable the 3G button on the iphone under general-->Network--> 'Enable 3G' should i get faster speeds, i know it says I should get faster speeds but i dont notice any major speed improvement with it off versus it on? bascially I want to understand the difference between 'Cellular Data Network' speeds using isp.vodafone.ie and enabling the 3G button on the iphone using isp.vodafone.ie

Also has vodafone got the best 3G coverage in Ireland?

Another silly question, i presume i cannot use my vodafone prepaid sim card to access O2 or 3 data network i.e. change the isp.vodafone.ie to some O2 or 3 isp provider??

sorry if these questions have been repeated, these boards are packed with information and it can be difficult to find the right info.

cheers
    T.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're in a 3G area then using 3G instead of GPRS would give you increased performance. Depending on the website you may not notice a massive difference, but should notice with video streaming or large images etc.

Turning on 3G will decrease your battery life between charges. It uses a more powerful antenna (I guess this is the simple version .. but anyway? .. ) which will use more power.

The best 3G coverage in Ireland I guess is up for debate. Vodafone certainly had a head start. I've found the O2 network better in places where they have it but wouldn't really rule either out.

You can't use your Vodafone SIM to connect to other networks within Ireland. Vodafone use their network and their network only.
    sorry if these questions have been repeated, these boards are packed with information and it can be difficult to find the right info.
    The search function and letting people know what you've already tried can go along way toward people going out of their way to help you as well.

Hope this helps, give us a shout if you need any more info.

Advertisement