Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting an MA

Options
  • 24-01-2009 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I essentially picked my MA course last year on the basis of who was offered me the best deal on scholarships/bursaries and, well, I hate it. I haven't enjoyed it since the beginning, and have had various personal problems going on at the same time which has led to me falling behind in coursework. I've been allowed indefinite extensions by my tutor, as he says they don't want to lose me. I was a promising student at the start (my undergrad results are the reason I have the scholarship funding) but a mixture of personal circumstances and course content have meant I've lost almost all interest in it.

My problem is really what to do next. I am still enrolled and think that if I drop out I won't go back (because I couldn't afford to self-fund a second MA) but at the same time I have precisely zero interest in it at the moment. The prospect of all the work I am behind on, aswell as Semester 2 work AND a thesis over the Summer is wrecking my head.

I know we all get periods of loathing through our thesis/dissertation writing (I remember them from undergrad!) but this is worse. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

To be given a scholarship is an honour but it is also a responsibility. Somebody has literally invested in you because they believe you have the talent and ability to achieve great results (and possibly great things in the future). An opportunity has been taken away from somebody else and given to you.

Consider those things before you give up such a great opportunity. A year is a very short time in the context of your whole life. Perserverance has always won out over any other attribute

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I agree with JDLK. Some people do not even have the privilege of paying for one, yet alone getting it for next to nothing.

It's January now, that means about seven more months of what you have been doing for presumably the last three years. And, in light of current job prospects, stepping out into the 'real world' now with a half-finished masters says alot of negative things about your character - more so than an average (maybe second class) masters does. I'm sure they'd prefer to see that than just a degree, especially if it's scholarship funded.

Also, keep in mind that if you have regretted your choice of quitting, it costs two grand more (on average) to do a masters than it was three months ago!

You're obviously talented if you received the scholarship in the first place, what's to say that you can't conclude it? We all go through things we hate to get to where we want to go. Right now I get paid for doing work that requires no brain yet get paid nothing for jobs that require vast amount of imagination and innovation. I don't do it fun, i do it for my future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I think you'd be right lazy to quit the course now. It's not like it's a four year degree or anything, you'll be finished it before you know it and even if you're not interested in it, it will stand to you. What are you gonna do for the next nine months anyway - it's not like there are many jobs going ha, you're as well using the time to further yourself. Also don'e most scholarships have a clause requiring you to pay back money if you don't complete the course (maybe that's just phd though). good luck with it

Advertisement