Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay of Biscay storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Estofex has a level 2 warning out, edit upgraded to level 3:eek:. Only seen that a few times in the last few years, last time I seen a level 3 was when Poland had those deadly tornadoes a year or 2 ago.
    The main threat will be a widespread damaging wind gust risk with this line of storms as convective gusts likely exceed 33m/s. Otherwise, LCLs around 600m, LL shear of 25-30m/s, aforementioned LL CAPE release and intense directional shear also point to a significant tornado risk and strong tornadoes are possible.

I'd love to see those supercells forming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some severe damage down there.

1 million homes without power.

Wind gusts in excess of 100mph.

Look at the wind speeds from 0100 - 0700 in Cap Ferret near Bordeaux.

00:00: 31mph
    01:00: 43mph
    02:00: 56mph
    03:00: 90mph
    04:00: 107mph
    05:00: 102mph
    06:00: 99mph
    07:00: 105mph

That is a prolonged period of extreme winds, the damage can only be imagined.

A once in a decade storm alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

WC, any data on mean speeds?

While the gusts figure are comparable to what was recorded at Belmullet recently, if one can imagine the Belmullet gusts in Dublin, then one starts getting an idea of what the potential damage in south France and north Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Near gales in Montauban and the Munster match is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've just returned from a week in Termignon which is in the French alps. There were severe storm warnings on all of the Meteo bulletins on French TV. Early yesterday (Friday) morning last we had around 12" of snow fall in a fairly short space of time. Last night we had gale / strong gale conditions that whipped up the lying snow into blizzard. Around 5am this morning the heavens opened up again and we had another 7-8 inches of snow by 10am. It took nearly 20 minutes of hard shovelling to dig the car out! The road conditions were the worst I have ever experienced anywhere and it took me around an hour to drive 18km to get to the Frejus tunnel. Next time I'll hire a 4X4 and some snow chains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mothman wrote: »
    WC, any data on mean speeds?

While the gusts figure are comparable to what was recorded at Belmullet recently, if one can imagine the Belmullet gusts in Dublin, then one starts getting an idea of what the potential damage in south France and north Spain.

exactly. if these gusts are being recorded well inland, it's quite remarkable.

i doubt we've rarely, if ever, recorded gusts over 95 mph well inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

• Advertisement
Advertisement