Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping goods from USA to Ireland

Options
  • 23-01-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there,

It's my first post in this forum so I'd like to say HELLO :)

I will be moving from USA to Ireland shortly and I am going to hire a moving company to move my stuff from Charlotte, NC to Dublin.

I've checked some options and got some quotes already from moving companies. There are mainly two shipping options:

1) DOOR to PORT
    2) DOOR to DOOR

The difference is, that the first option is always MUCH cheaper, but you need to take care of your goods as soon as they arrive to the port in Dublin (customs, transport from port to home etc.)

Has anyone had any experience in that matter and would be able to advise what exactly would I need to do, when they call me to pick up the goods?

Thank you in advance for any help in that matter.

Always,
    drink_milk :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I dunno if this will help much but I did a move in the opposite direction and moved my stuff port to port.

When it arrived at the airport I had to go down and pick up some forms and then head over to the customs office and they asked me a few questions (whats in the boxes? Is it all your own stuff? etc) then they signed the forms and I brought them back to the cargo carrier and they gave me the boxes.
    Was all fairly painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

Thanks mack1,

I think I will go for door to port option, as the difference in price is $150 per 100 lbs between those two options. With a load of approx. 1000 lbs that makes a difference.

Anyone else was moving bigger loads from US to Ireland and can share the experience??

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Siobhanbergin

Hi there

I will be happy to help if you can share the quotes with me and we will see if we can better them - I am moving back stuff end summer. I came back without my goods as did not want to store in Ireland - much cheaper to do so in USA. You will only get the one chance to move as your own personal goods , claiming tax relief for the move, not ongoing!! With the price of goods here, bring as much as poss with you - everything. I would go for full container loads to PORT - I have gotten quotes for cars as low as 1000 dollars! NC a probelm as not on coast and you will have to seek a carrier that takes a 20 foot container (if you can fill it) cheap to the sea port. At Irish side, you will need to have taken on a carrier to deliver immediatly and that may be expensive. Goods cannot be left at port as you will be charges so transportation must be pre-arranged. Check quotes for port charges, handling charges, document charges here in Dublin. Also you will have to measure delays in goods not clearing on time and then transport may be charging more.

With rate of exchange diff right now, it is very neg if you can wait for the goods and may be worth while getting door to door at a dollar rate. That way, the handler is responsible for customs clearance. Get all quotes in writing and fully inclusive. Also check as to what may stop the clearance - what goods not allowed - taxes here through the roof.

If goods smaller than a 20 foot container, they go as small lots and may even be more expensive - check all levels.

Best of luck and let me kinow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

Hi Siobhanbergin,

Thanks for your reply.
    I won't have the full 20 foot container. I'm moving stuff from one bedroom apt only and I don't bring any furnitures. I would ship only boxes. Till now, estimated weight I got, completing item lists or talking to agents, is approx 800 lbs. Quotes for DOOR to PORT option vary from $1500 - $2300 . I have to add insurance and all charges on the Irish side.
    However, I can't check port charges, handling charges, document charges in Dublin on the quote, as none of the companies can provide me with those details.
    As I will be shipping only household goods, I don't think that there will be a problem with customs clearance.
    As you're moving end of summer, have you already found a moving company? Can you recommend a transportation from Dublin port to my place in Dublin 9?

Thanks for your help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Siobhanbergin

" However, I can't check port charges, handling charges, document charges in Dublin on the quote, as none of the companies can provide me with those details.
    As I will be shipping only household goods, I don't think that there will be a problem with customs clearance. "

I recommend that you dont ship blind and is why I said that you may be better in this climate and dollar versus Euro with an all inclusive rate. Yes you can have a major prob with c clearance for personal goods. Costly probs.

Dont deal with anyone who cannot tell you handling, port and dox charges. It tells me that they dont know what they doing in shipping INTERNATIONAL and you will be billed for all of their mistakes and will be fully liable for them.

No I have not finalise yet as in middle moving here but think you should give some thought to this and perhaps review.

You dont have to tak emy advise but be warned. I worked for 10 years in Intl freight shipping and also did a stint in US with DHL key account global. I suggest you reinvestigate fully.

sIOBHAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shirl & steve

Hi Siobhanbergin,
    My husband and I and our kids our moving from Ireland back to US and are researching cheapest options to send our stuff. I read your comment above about your experience with DHL etc. and wondered whether you'd have any advice for us?
    We probably have the equivalent of around 1/5th of container worth of stuff (it's mostly books, sentimental toys, paintings, etc.).
    Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way, I'm new to using boards, so I may have not "posted" to this thread correctly. If so, my apologies!
    Thanks very much for your help,
    Shirl & Steve

Advertisement