Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lited an R4 game card on ebay and received this scary email??

Options
  • 23-01-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I stupidly listed a DSTT (like R4 - it can be used for homebrew, movies but most people use it for downloaded ds games) on ebay. I stated there were no games on it and included my email address, I received this mail and dont know what to make of it - is it genuine or not? cfc.gov does not seem to work, the "section 67" part (after googling) refers to an indian obscenity law and at the bottom it has that "are you a pc" thing. I've removed the listing and mailed the email address saying I did not realise the cards were illegal. I'm worried

Subject: Fraud Commission

Sent By
    "police police" <counteringfraud@live.co.uk> On: 22 January, 2009 2:41 PM

CFC.gov

The Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland CO/REF - A316453

It has come to our attention that you may have been purchasing or selling counterfeit goods via -

Illegal downloading and distribution of Nintendo console games.

This is illegal under section 67 of the Information Technology Act 2000 and

The UK Fraud Act 2006 and if convicted you will face a criminal record for theft and could face a large fine or even a prison sentence.

The Countering Fraud Team works closely with web sites such as eBay and Amazon to detect and prosecute any individual attempting to buy, sell, download and distribute any illegal software.

To date Nintendo and other companies such as Sony and Microsoft have successfully prosecuted and received millions in fines, as the downloading of each individual game is charged at a retail value.

In the next 2 days we will be working closely with eBay, Amazon and other websites to access your account/s and see if you have made any recent purchases of downloading material such as R4 NDS, DSTT and N5 cartridges for use with Nintendo Ds and Ds lite and contacting any person/persons which may have purchased these items from you so we can check the legality.

If we find you to be in breach of any of the above laws the local police will be informed by our office and you will be arrested and prosecuted with immediate effect.

If you are found to be within the law please understand we have to investigate all matters that have been reported and no further action will be taken. For further assistance please contact us at counteringfraud@live.co.uk and quote our reference at the top right of this letter.

Rod Jones

CRB DDT

Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland

Are you a PC? Upload your PC story and show the world Click Here!

Comments

The fact it was sent from a Hotmail address has me suspicious that it may be a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did the posters here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468971) not point out enough reasons to tell its a fake ?

It's a hotmail address listing a website that doesn't exist from an organization that doesn't exist.

And it says it's from the "police police"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Wow, you actually thought that e-mail was real?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's totally real. I can sell you some magic beans which help get you out of this mess. Just post your bank account details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

i know i know, the other posters did help but it really is unnerving to get a mail like that. the reason i posted it here was in the hope some legal person might categorically say something that would convince me. i'm still worried about it. i've mailed the address and had no reply - even if they replied and saind they were leaving it, then i'd be happy. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

cruachan7 wrote: »
    i know i know, the other posters did help but it really is unnerving to get a mail like that. the reason i posted it here was in the hope some legal person might categorically say something that would convince me. i'm still worried about it. i've mailed the address and had no reply - even if they replied and saind they were leaving it, then i'd be happy. :o

Don't waste your time worrying about it or replying any further, its a complete hoax. If they contact you any further, tell them to get ****ed and report them to Ebay.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I am the Nigerian Foreign Minister. If you like to would pm me your bank account details, I have E11 Billion American Dollars which I needing to deposit.

Advertisement