Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishing in Academic Journal

Options
  • 23-01-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I am a final year degree student in computing I had to write a paper to a publishable standard a month ago. My lecturer was very exact to ensure it was of an appropriate standard. After all my work on the paper I would very much like to have the paper published in an academic journal. As I am not a lecturer and finishing my degree would i have any chance of getting it published furthermore what do I have to do or where do i have to go to get it published. I have looked at emerald and IEEE.

Can anyone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is doubtful it is really is of publishable quality, it isn't that easy. The easiest way forward is to ask your lecturer and work on it together in your joint names.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated i have done lots of essays and research papers constantly looking at journals when researching i make every effort to enshure that i keep to the harvard referencing method just curious as to whether one can publish as an undergraduate before i decide whether i want to do some post graduate study or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

yes you can publish as an undergrad. I published in my second year of B.Sc. but the reason to publish is to present significant new research or findings. Can you explain what is new in your paper and we can advise better how to go about it?

An alternative might be to have it published in a student publication?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's pretty tough to get published as an Undergrad.

I'm a bit taken aback that you have to ask on here - can't you approach your tutor/course director?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

It's pretty tough to get published as an Undergrad.

I'm a bit taken aback that you have to ask on here - can't you approach your tutor/course director?

Perhaps the person is just trying to put out feelers to see if it is feasible at all rather than having it embarrassingly shot down by a tutor they will be dealing with regularly if it is out of the question. I can understand that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Perhaps the person is just trying to put out feelers to see if it is feasible at all rather than having it embarrassingly shot down by a tutor they will be dealing with regularly if it is out of the question. I can understand that.
    Come to think of it, so can I. Good point. There's nothing like a pre peer-review peer-review!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

As has been said, I'd let my supervisor know that you're interested in publishing. Never mind the Tutors, unless he/she happens to be a full-time academic keen on publishing.

Academics are usually very keen on having somebody to publish. "Publish or perish/be damned" is the standard academic mantra. Aside from journals, they need people to contribute articles on books they are editing. They have to get their own names out there. If your supervisor is not editing a book, he will know somebody who is, or have been approached by another academic to contribute to a book they are working on. In other words, he will be able to pass on your name to other people but tell them it will be your first paper so that they will know that they are going to have to put in the time correcting you. My first published paper got heaps of corrections; you can't take any of them personally. I thrive on corrections though and pre-publication corrections save you a lot of later embarrassment (until you realise that even the "stars" of your discipline make tons of mistakes- an ineffably comforting lesson indeed).

Additionally, like another fella above said, your final year undergrad stuff may not be as good as you think. I remember getting thick with a professor because he only gave me an 'A-' in an essay I thought was great. Now, with my PhD finished and the benefit of hindsight I look back on all my final year essays and projects (all of which got 1sts) and think '"oops" I could have written that better/more succinctly/more eloquently/ more carefully/ more gently.' I was so certain, but really I had an immature writing style. Criticism has been great in making me improve my writing, presentation, and argumentation skills. I suppose, therefore, what I am trying to say is that if you write a really good paper, get as many people to review it as possible. Get feedback, and then leave it aside for a while and from time to time think about how you could improve its presentation, clarity, and the ideas. Most especially, read the literature on the area and utilise its relevant aspects for your paper: that is a good deal of your framework. Make sure- make really sure- you are au fait with recent research in your field because the entire paper could collapse on a single issue that you had failed to note. Be kind to other people in your field. Be generous, and fair: ensure the reader is clear where you are using other writers' work and where you are adding new research. Clarity about what you are adding to the field is very important.

In short, then, let your supervisor know you'd like to publish. That's the first step. Get his views. If negative (very unlikely), approach another academic in your field. Remember that they are usually up to their eyes and their social skills are a bit stunted due to the long hours of isolation. It is very likely that they will facilitate your ambition. Maybe not in the leading journal of your field, but you will get a start in at least an edited published book/collection (many of which are widely cited and highly respected).

PS: I'd really be focusing on my final exams/project work now. You could publish in the summer between your last exam and your results, when you will still be an undergrad. Your final exams are your entry to the best PhD courses, and their ever-so-important funding. All the best/Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat.

The lecturer i had to do the paper for did my degree when she was an undergraduate i asked her before starting the paper what if one of us do a really good paper could we try get it published. She said anyone whom wants to try to talk to her i admit i was embarrassed to ask. However i did ask her after she corrects the paper if she could email a critique of the paper, ie is the paper of publishable standard of course she is on maternity leave either way I am sure I will here from her at some point in the future regarding the paper. I am more interested in her and others option as to where I need to improve for the future. I emailed the paper to Information Systems Journal on Friday I am not really bothered about getting it published but if they provide me with some critiques of the paper I would be a very happy student.

http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=1350-1917

Another thing I would like your advice on this year I have to decide whether I should go on to post graduate study my taught where to do a MSc taught and then research either at PhD OR MSc (Research) preferable PhD that said the lecturer about did not see the logic in doing the MSc. I recently went to an IRCSET meeting and that was very interesting the thing is the deadline is Feb 23rd and because the above was my plan I had not taught about research as such I have no ideas on research topics and have talked to no supervisors i don’t think I have enough time I am also busy trying to finish my fourth year project.

My idea was to do the MSc by taught which would give the experience of doing a dissertation/thesis and research while giving me the time to think of a really good topic and prepare properly for the IRCSET application.

Any advice would be grateful

Dionysus wrote: »
    PS: I'd really be focusing on my final exams/project work now. You could publish in the summer between your last exam and your results, when you will still be an undergrad. Your final exams are your entry to the best PhD courses, and their ever-so-important funding. All the best/Go n-éiri an t-ádh leat.

You make alot of sence if i don't get a 1.1 i can kiss any chance of postgraduate study/research good buy.

Thanks to you all very much it is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

cyberwit wrote: »
    You make alot of sence if i don't get a 1.1 i can kiss any chance of postgraduate study/research good buy.

Thanks to you all very much it is very much appreciated.

Not at all, a first is desirable, but by no means essential. Doesnt sound like you have much to worry about anyway, since you seem to have located a potential supervisor. You can put a proposal together by the dealine, it will take some intense writing, but it can be done. Honestly, if you have a feel for research, and are producing publishable material at this stage, the MSc probably isnt for you - or else is one possible route to a PhD (by registering as a masters-by-research student and upgrading after year 1).

Talk to your lecturers and see what research groups/ongoing projects/new prospects may be available.

On the publication side of things, it helps to get a feel for the journal - what types of articles get published, what sub-specialties do they deal with - it also helps if you can tailor your writing to engage with existing debates within the journal itself, so review your chosen journal carefully. Most, also, will ask that you not submit your work to another journal for consideration, so choose carefully. Either way, you have some long waiting ahead, with an almost definate revise and resubmit response (which is standard for 99% of submissions in most journals).

Also, (open to correction here), IRCSET put out second round calls (or is it offers?) around june/july - you may be able to submit a proposal then, but I am not sure

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement