Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first appointment seems a bit late?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, everyone

Im expecting my second baby due 28/08. Have already seen my gp at 7 and 8 weeks. Got a letter today confirming new appointment for 27/03 ill be 19 weeks by then. Letter states that there will be scan and first consultation with the consultant and various other routine tests.

Does 19 weeks seem a bit late for first appointment ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Don't they only give you one scan in your second pregnancy if there is no noted risk?

If you go to your GP again and say you're worried etc you may be able to get a second scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

I know on the first one i had the dating scan at 12 weeks, another at 20 weeks and then with some complications i was having i was being scanned every 2 weeks for last trimister. So I have no idea is it 1 or 2 scans.

Seems a lil confusing 2nd time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hosps are very busy so first scan at that time not unusual these days, ( baby boom). I had my first official scan on Sept 1 at 17 weeks and I am semi-private. I paid for private scans for dating etc. myself

2 scans at rotunda semi-private - 1st scan ( 17 weeks) and then anomaly scan at 20 weeks. You should query them about the anomlay scan as 19 weeks is a little early to do it perhaps.

Good luck with your pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

I initally booked into semi-private clinic in Holles St. My first appointment wasn't until 17 weeks, and they only give you one scan (at about 18-20 weeks). I have friends who are also attending Holles St, and their first appointments are all between 16-20 weeks, so its seems pretty standard.

I ended up switching to Community Midwives Scheme where I had my booking appointment at 12weeks. But that wasn't why I swapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

As Grawns said, with the baby boom usually only one scan these days. I paid for a private dating scan at 12 weeks and got my big scan at 19w6d. I got two other scans, one was due to family history of facial defects at 31w and the other was because they thought the baby was too small for my dates (38w3d).

If you're unsure of your dates then ask your GP to refer you to the hospital for a dating scan as early as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Thanks ladies.. has put my mind at ease! at least i have a date for the appointment. Have heard that the maternity unit is chocka block these days!

Best of luck and thanks again for the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

Hi,

My wife is around 18 weeks pregnant and we booked a first scan in the Rotunda for February semi-private. We decided to go public instead because of the costs but they said the earliest one they could give us is April. We really need to get her scanned in the next couple of weeks. We've said it to our GP and he can't get the Rotunda to give us one earlier. I'm getting worried at this stage. Do we have any options? Is it possible to get the first one done privately elsewhere and still go public in the Rotunda? We don't mind paying for a private scan as we're a bit anxious now. Someone said we should just go into the Rotunda and wait to be seen. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Mount Carmel do private scans without the need for a referral from your doctor. Think they cost in the region of €200 - €250. There are a few other places that do them, one in Rathgar but a quick search on the net should throw up a few names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi

There is a private fetal assesment clinic in the rotunda. I had nuchal scanning and amnio done there. You could go for a 2nd trimester screening there. Not sure what it costs but probably around €250.

The good thing about going here is that it will link your results directly to your chart so have your hosp booking number ready when you book the appointment.

They are very nice and what you are doing is very sensible as the stress is not worth the money saved.

Best of luck

Are you still able to go public after doing a Private scan in the Rotunda though?

About Mount Carmel, if you get it done there can you still go to the Rotunda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fashionista!

denhamd2 wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife is around 18 weeks pregnant and we booked a first scan in the Rotunda for February semi-private. We decided to go public instead because of the costs but they said the earliest one they could give us is April. We really need to get her scanned in the next couple of weeks. We've said it to our GP and he can't get the Rotunda to give us one earlier. I'm getting worried at this stage. Do we have any options? Is it possible to get the first one done privately elsewhere and still go public in the Rotunda? We don't mind paying for a private scan as we're a bit anxious now. Someone said we should just go into the Rotunda and wait to be seen. Any advice?

you should pay for a private scan. lots of clinics do them. where are you based?
    ultrasound dimensions in Blackrock do them, as do Femplus in Blanchardstown. It costs €120 for an early scan. At 18 weeks I'm not sure how much it would cost.
    My first scan isn't until 22 weeks in Holles Street and I'm semi-private but I still have to pay for it! I'm having an early scan at 8 weeks for peace of mind.

i'm based on the north side but don't mind where we go. Our doc advised us to get it all done in the same place. shouldnt matter though should it?

i'm based on the north side but don't mind where we go. Our doc advised us to get it all done in the same place. shouldnt matter though should it?

No it doesn't matter, most people book private scans just for their own peace of mind, your doctor doesn't even need to know.

Thanks for the helpful info so far. I think we will just go ahead and get a private scan. Just one more thing, do they take blood pressure, diabetes tests, etc also as my wife has had none of these types of tests yet?

Thanks for the helpful info so far. I think we will just go ahead and get a private scan. Just one more thing, do they take blood pressure, diabetes tests, etc also as my wife has had none of these types of tests yet?

as far as I'm aware, no they don't. they just do the scan. did her GP not to all those tests? Usually the GP does that on the first visit. Is she doing combined care through her GP / Hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I would strongly recommend getting a private scan at 12 weeks [dating]. I was unable to do so and it led to a cascade effect of things happenning that didnt have to, most notable an emergency c section, not being able to breastfeed, and other issues from the baby being induced before he was ready. I think you need a GP to refer you?

This is what I'm worried about, her GP did not do this when we first went in, he said come back at 24 weeks. Seems very late. So she's 18-19 weeks, we've decided to go for a private scan as soon as we can get one.

This is what I'm worried about, her GP did not do this when we first went in, he said come back at 24 weeks. Seems very late. So she's 18-19 weeks, we've decided to go for a private scan as soon as we can get one.

The 12 week mark is when you will get the most accurate date. It is CRUCIAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hey all,

I am over 7 months pregnant, I remember I got a hosp appt at around 13 weeks where they take your bloods, do a small scan etc etc then around 21 weeks i went in and had my main scan and from here on in it will be combined care with the doc and hosp just for check ups no more scans unless as stated there are complications (touch wood there isn't).

Hope that helps ohhhhhhhh and im attending Holles St.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Denhamd2 sorry just re-reading the posts, I had to ring the hosp myself and make the appt. What happened with me was i went to the doc to confirm pregnancy, he did up a letter which the hosp didnt even ask for, i rang the hosp to book an appt which is when they take the bloods, medical history, small scan etc, i got this for 13 weeks. If you and your wife are really concerned, ring the hosp and explain diabetes run in her family and that you would like to get seen to as soon as possible, they may book you in sooner as they can't afford to take the risk... Hope that helps...

• Advertisement

Reading further down I'm even more worried. Our GP has been useless to be honest, he didn't tell us when we should book our first scan, or what to do. As this is out first baby we don't know this information. We were going to ring the private place in Blackrock and get a scan there as soon as we can. And then ask our GP to do the blood tests, etc. Do you think this would be ok?

The Rotunda have been unhelpful. There was confusion when we cancelled our semi private scan and changed to public, got a later date and then asked could we do it privately because she was so far gone without a scan. The woman on the phone basically was very rude and said would you make up your mind do you want to go private or public!

When I went to the Rotunda they were too backlogged to get me a 12 week scan, private or public. Also I didnt have a GP at the time, didnt know I needed one, was not aware of the Irish system of doing things and just thought Id be appointed an OB and that would be that for the duration of the pregnancy. I didnt know you could get a GP to write a letter to get you to a private scan somewhere else.

If I were you I would be insistent with the GP that you get a letter for the 12 week scan and do it privately in any number of clinics.

I would let the Rotunda do the bloods, that way you dont have too many chefs, if you know what I mean. Things can get confusing.

Ideally you should have 3 scans:

1 Viability scan
    2 dating scan
    3 abnormality scan

Our GP has tried contacting the Rotunda but he couldn't get us an earlier scan. As I mentioned he's useless. We're looking to change to another GP. I rang the place in Blackrock and they can give us a dating scan this weekend. I just saw your email now, does anyone know if that place does Viability and Abnormality scans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am pregnant with my first baby and I had an emergency scan at 8 weeks due to suspected ectopic pregnancy. The only other time they could schedule an ultrasound was at 31 weeks!
    Also my first hospital appointment was on Dec1st and baby due Feb12th.

I know it sounds ridiculous lenghts of time but really the hospital waiting rooms are full each time I go there and its not like the doctors are standing around gossiping or anything, they are trying to get all the women seen. Its annoying but what can you do:)?

Cheers again for the info. I checked with the place in Blackrock and they can give us an anomaly scan and a dating scan. It will hopefully set our minds at ease if nothing else. We're going to change our GP and get the new one to give my wife blood tests, etc. Finally what would be your advice about getting in synch with the hospital? They said the next scan they could give us would be in April. Should we tell them we got a private scan already and go for this scan then in April? Do these private places give you reports you can give to the hospital so they can catch up? Also do we need to book a bed for the due date (sorry thats prob a silly question)? We're going for the public treatment.

Sorry for all the questions, as you can see we're complete newbies to this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Finally what would be your advice about getting in synch with the hospital? They said the next scan they could give us would be in April. Should we tell them we got a private scan already and go for this scan then in April? Do these private places give you reports you can give to the hospital so they can catch up? Also do we need to book a bed for the due date (sorry thats prob a silly question)? We're going for the public treatment.

Absolutely still go for the scan in April. There is a huge difference in the babies development between now and then, and its free anyway! And the private scan places do usually give you a report to give to your consultant and a copy to your GP.

Re: booking a bed for the due date, no you don't need to do this. Once you've booked into the hospital system they look after bed allocation and all that. Besides, theres no guarantee that baby will arrive on its due date! That why its an "estimated" due date.

Best of luck

Thank you for all the words of advice, its really been so much help. Can I just ask as well when we're booking that April scan with the hospital should we tell them we got one done privately elsewhere already? I heard they don't really like you going to other private places?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Denham,

The Rotunda won't have a problem with you going for a private scan. They will take the photo from the scan that you get an put it on your file, and use this to help estimate your wife's due date. I know the feeling when it's all new, and seeing the baby and hearing a hearbeat really helps to make it all real!

I think you are right to get another GP if your appointment at the hospital is so late. If you go to see another doctor in the next couple of days they will be able to do all the little checks that are needed at this stage - such as urine checks for gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. The doc can also do a blood test to check your wife's iron level and check her blood type (which is important for when the baby is born). These are all the checks that are done at the first visit with the hospital too.

Re what was said about the importance of a dating scan to determine the estimated due date. Yes this is important when it comes to the decision to induce etc, but if you didn't have an early dating scan and there's any question over your wife's dates, you should ask the hosp should keep this in mind when making decisions about indcuing at the end.

I think the most important thing though is for you and your wife not to get too stressed or anxious about it all. I had a baby last year, and although I had a booking visit at Holles St at 13 weeks where they checked my bloods etc (no dating scan!) I didn't have another appoitnment with teh hosp til I was around 28 weeks. It's around this time that the care really kicks in. Although in a normal healthy pregnancy there isn't too much care to be done - just the same checks as above at each visit - usually in and out in 5 mins!

Ultrasound scans are useful for dating the pregnancy, and the anomoly scan can detect if there are any major problems such as spina bifida or any problems with the heart or lungs that would require special care when the baby is born. Having a late ultrasound scan won't endanger your baby in any way to be honest.

So get on to a new doc who has more empathy for first time parents and you and your wife enjoy the pregnancy and best of luck with the baby

Advertisement