Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS data downloads to cost over €270 per GByte!!!

Options
  • 23-01-2009 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I just noticed that 3 have revealed the price of data downloads exceeding the 12Gbyte cap.

http://www.3ireland.ie/pdf/Wholesale%20Access%20Offer%20Overview.pdf

2.77c per MBit - Wholesale, excluding VAT. This appears to be around €270 per Gbyte. Presumably the Retail price will be even higher? If you go 10GByte over your cap, you could be charged in excess of €2,700. Unbelievable!

The only consolation is that it will probably be impossible to exceed the download cap given the performance of their network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Because it's not Broadband!
    Data costs the operator about x400 the cost of phone calls on 3G. All (Vodaphone, 3, O2, Meteor) charge huge money for exceeding cap.

Also there are poor facilities for throttling so the kind of traffic management used on Cable, Metro, DSL, Fixed Wireless is not usually used. The system can't cope with P2P traffic really at all, so another reason for draconian implementation of cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This just further displays why HSPDA is not be considered broadband outside of Ireland and why 3 should never have been in the running in the first place. I know in my house 12 gigabytes could be got through in a week with the kids on youtube and the like. I could imagine there being a lot of very angry parents who are delighted to get off dialup for the first time only to get a bill of a few thousand euro after the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

cowboy1981 wrote: »
    I just noticed that 3 have revealed the price of data downloads exceeding the 12Gbyte cap.

2.77c per MBit - Wholesale, excluding VAT. This appears to be around €270 per Gbyte. Presumably the Retail price will be even higher? If you go 10GByte over your cap, you could be charged in excess of €2,700. Unbelievable!

The only consolation is that it will probably be impossible to exceed the download cap given the performance of their network.

It's worse than that!
    3 Website wrote:
    2.77cent (Ex VAT) per Mbit used outside of inclusive data bundle
    This makes it 8 times that, right? So it'd be €2160 per MB? Tell me I'm wrong!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's a reason why all discussions are not in the Broadband forum anymore, its not Broadband and is instead Midband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Short Grass

Obviously you were missing from school during maths class !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2.77c per mbit is 22.16c per mBYTE

add 21.5% VAT thats 26.92c mBYTE

There are 1024 MBytes in a GBYTE so thats €275.71 a GBYTE .

Exciting times opening the bills next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

Obviously you were missing from school during maths class !
    Obviously you were missing from College during Binary class

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

at present when you sign up for a mobile phone subscription service they have to send you a reminder every €20

perhaps something like that , where they send you a text and you reply yes / no to continue ?

otherwise IMHO it's entrapment , if you can run up a years worth of stuff before the next bill

Personally I'd prefer a sliding scale of throttling bandwidth rather than be exposed to massive financial loss should my computer become part of a spammers botnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If I remember correctly 3 charged 5 cent per mb that you went over cap. :eek:

• Advertisement

The really interesting aspect of the doc linked by Cowboy ( thanks) is that it appears to be a template for _other_ carriers to sell into NBS areas under their own brand and not strictly an Inhouse tariff arrangement .

Thoughts !!??!!

In other words Bond 007 may be right if you go directly to 3 for service .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

From reading the website it appears you have to go to 3 directly to get the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    2.77c per mbit is 22.16c per mBYTE

add 21.5% VAT thats 26.92c mBYTE

There are 1024 MBytes in a GBYTE so thats €275.71 a GBYTE .

:o D'oh! Sorry, messed up the calculation. Still pretty bad though!

They launched an inhouse MVNO so , like WTF is this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Short Grass

It was a prerequisite of the tender documents for the NBS that the winner had to provide a wholsale offer to all comers. This is what 3 are doing although I suspect that their reference to Megabit is a mistake. They obviously meant Megabyte. They are offering a wholesale connection at 2.7 which means it will be resold at say 5 cents meaning that it will retail for €50 per gig. This is still a sizeable kick in the crotch if you go over the limit.
    The Irish Times article says that Eircom are interested in selling it. Does this mean no more exchanges being up graded ?

It's on no revelance to exchanges as the NBS is not Broadband, DSL is.
    But DSL is near saturation. Many rural customers are on lines too long or pairgained.

If eircom enabled EVERY exchange 100% about 10% to 20% of people would not be able to get DSL.

The MVNO makes sense as a wholesale offer . I also think short grass has found that neither 3 NOR Eamon Ryans department know the difference between a a megabit and a megabyte , thank **** I saved the evidence so .

Anyone else fancies saving the evidence click on this link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wow three are gonna make alot of money from this!:D

Advertisement