Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Broadband Race - The Business, RTÉ R1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not exactly a scientific test. Pointless really.

To test Mobile you need 1000s of people in different locations at different times of day and do MEASUREMENTS of various things not just a download.

Mobile data is so variable in performance that such test as RTE's is just entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

watty wrote: »
    Not exactly a scientific test. Pointless really.

To test Mobile you need 1000s of people in different locations at different times of day and do MEASUREMENTS of various things not just a download.

Mobile data is so variable in performance that such test as RTE's is just entertainment

True, on my parents 3 Mobile connection it would be possible to download a 10mb file in roughly 3 mins in the morning or late at night. The same file in the afternoon or early evening could take up to 20 mins. And its possible they may not be able to download it at all if there are too many people connected at the one time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'm happy with my 3G - wish I had real broadband but it's better than dialup - but even under the best of scenario the issue with 3G will also be the long ping times. This won't effect email, browsing and downloading but cannot use VoIP (sometimes it will work and sometimes not), you might have issues with online webinars/online meetings and playing online gaming, which is important for some, is a big no. Basically, we can do the tasks with did 10 years ago quicker ... but we'll never be cutting edge. 3G users will always be second class citizen of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

croo wrote: »
    I'm happy with my 3G - wish I had real broadband but it's better than dialup - but even under the best of scenario the issue with 3G will also be the long ping times. This won't effect email, browsing and downloading but cannot use VoIP (sometimes it will work and sometimes not), you might have issues with online webinars/online meetings and playing online gaming, which is important for some, is a big no. Basically, we can do the tasks with did 10 years ago quicker ... but we'll never be cutting edge. 3G users will always be second class citizen of the internet.

Can we quote you on that:) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bealtine wrote: »
    Can we quote you on that:) ?

Don't feed the troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Apogee

Not exactly a scientific test.

They stated from the outset that it was not scientific.
    Pointless really.

Indeed, especially when service providers continue to ignore the problems faced by their customers. As highlighted in that programme by the guy living in the Kerry who had spent around €5000 over 3 years for Digiweb's satellite service which "by the day [is] becoming totally unreliable".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe he needs a bigger dish or re-alignment. That's the problem with satellite, a storm or subsidence can put the dish off slightly (needs better than 0.5 degree accuracy) and the transmit power of the satellite can drop with age. Or coax to ODU from modem can corrode or any number of things really.

Or if heavy rain fall is heavier with time a bigger dish is needed. All satellite operators tend to fit the minimum dish that will do as the services are weaker in Ireland than UK or France and people don't want 1.2m dishes.

We are nearly 10 years behind on Infrastructure now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll

Why do you say that?

I was just saying, as a user (all day every day as I work from home) of a 3g service it has some use... browsing, email & downloading is much faster than over dialup. Given the option of continuing with dialup from eircom or getting 3g from o2 or vodafone, 3g is cheaper and a world of difference in terms improved performance... for me anyway. Perhaps I am just lucky but being mobile I have used it out and about to and it generally works fine.

Now, am I happy with broadband in Ireland... no way! Which is why I read this board. I have friends with smart & NTL and I would dearly like to be able to get equivalent services. And I know too that even these services are what friends & colleagues abroad had 5 years ago. :(

But I think 3g in general is sometimes portrayed as worse than dialup here (which it might be if you are a 3 networks customer) and as a user I have not had that experience (with vodafone & o2). Hence my comments.

Advertisement