Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To teach i need to rectify shortfalls

Options
  • 22-01-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

:mad::mad:Hi,

Im a nurse,leaving nursing to secondary teach (hopefully). I got my degree assessed by teaching council and they have said it is not recognised, They say I would need to study biology at 2nd or 3rd year level for one more year i.e obtain 20 ECTS on a conventional science degree programme from a recognised third level institution. And they say these credits need to be obtained in some or all of plant biology. biotechnology, dna studies.

How the hell do i go about doing this? I dont understand.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know a guy who has an IT degree and wants to be a maths teacher but doesn't have enough maths in his degree. He's doing a number of maths modules through open university to meet the maths requirements made by the teaching council. Perhaps it would be possible for you to complete the necessary biology modules the same way? I'm studying with OU at the moment and you don't have to enrol on a specified course, you can just do modules here and there. It might just suit you. It might be worth contacting the teaching council again to find out what courses they recommend exactly before enrolling on any course

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

I know a guy who has an IT degree and wants to be a maths teacher but doesn't have enough maths in his degree. He's doing a number of maths modules through open university to meet the maths requirements made by the teaching council. Perhaps it would be possible for you to complete the necessary biology modules the same way? I'm studying with OU at the moment and you don't have to enrol on a specified course, you can just do modules here and there. It might just suit you. It might be worth contacting the teaching council again to find out what courses they recommend exactly before enrolling on any course

Great thanks, I hadnt thought about that!! Ill look into that defo, thanks.

By the way, wonder how much it is going to cost me to do the modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's £755 per 30 credit module module

www.open.ac.uk

you might be able to get some tax relief on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Can I ask did you pay the Teaching Council the €1000 fee for having your fee assessed? I only found out about that this week and it really shocked me.
    That 1k is non-refundable whether or not your degree is deemed eligible as you claim?

• Advertisement

I had to pay 150 euro to have degree assessed. it is gone up to 200 but i was just in time! Absolute joke isnt it and all they do is give you a little sentance as to what you should do!!!! I asked them on phone what would be the story if my degree was not recognised and the girl was saying "Oh you will have somebody explain exactly what you need to do step by step" Excuse my french but what a load of ripp off crocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

The form I saw said €1000 per subject! So if I wanted to assess my engineering degree for JC science and LC physics, it would be two thousand euro :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

For shame !Teaching Council is an utter disgrace!Now THERE'S a suitable target for cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

bethm24 wrote: »
    :mad::mad:Hi,

Im a nurse,leaving nursing to secondary teach (hopefully). I got my degree assessed by teaching council and they have said it is not recognised, They say I would need to study biology at 2nd or 3rd year level for one more year i.e obtain 20 ECTS on a conventional science degree programme from a recognised third level institution. And they say these credits need to be obtained in some or all of plant biology. biotechnology, dna studies.

How the hell do i go about doing this? I dont understand.:mad:

my mate was told the same thing except he was 15 credits short in maths so he applied to do them as an occasional student with NUI Maynooth. He can teach maths now. He also studied previously with the open university and said there was no comparison between the level of difficulty. he said OU was 10 times harder than NUIM or UCD where he also studied.

Apply to the science departments of your handiest university and do the modules. Of course OU will save you travelling so ....swings and roundabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

the 1000 euro fee is for institutes of education who want their courses added to the TC's list as far as I'm aware.
    They couldn't get away with asking individuals for that.
    I'd personally march down to maynooth, and camp on the doorstep till they dropped it!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement