Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 09 Tips ??

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive just got an Xbox and i am looking for tips on Defending and dribblling with teh ball, Players are just flyin by me and i am using the button to nip the ball away but thats it .. Thy also seem much faster no mater wat i cannot keep up ..

Anysites for tips or tutorials ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Defending in FIFA is an art. What I always find works is to close down and then just before you get to tackle, step off (LT + RT), and press and hold A. I find that kinda traps the player. Also, dont dive in when you're defending on the wings, hold LT to jockey.

Some tips about midfield. You gotta time headers right, you cant just frantically button tap while the button is in the air. Look for through balls down the channels (Y) press and hold for more power.

Pick a team with fast attackers like Aston Villa, that'll get you used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I played a guy online today and it was so annoying. He was united and anytime he'd get up my end of the picth he'd make his player turn in a way that the ball went ahead of him and no matter if I had a player in the line of the balls path I couldn't get to it...it was like by doing that the animation is set so it can't be intercepted or something. So frustrating...It ruined my 7 match winning streak

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,

Ive just got an Xbox and i am looking for tips on Defending and dribblling with teh ball, Players are just flyin by me and i am using the button to nip the ball away but thats it .. Thy also seem much faster no mater wat i cannot keep up ..

Anysites for tips or tutorials ?

Thanks in advance

DEFENDING
    Don't run towards an attacking player that has some pace. Fall back, but at the same time cut down the distance between your defender and the attacker. If you see a through ball is possible, keep your defender in the way of that ball.

DRIBBLING
    When you have some space to attack, use the sprint button and use the R-Stick to tap the ball out in front of you go even faster. When you come up against defenders, release the sprint button so you can change direction quickly. Keep an eye out for an attacker making a run and use a throughball to get in on goal.

SHOOTING
    Spend an hour in the Arena and practice 4 different shots...

Regular-use use shoot button
    Lob-keep LB pressed when shooting
    Powerful-keep LT pressed
    Placed-keep RB pressed

After alot of practice, you will instinctively press the relevant buttin when the situation arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pick Man United or Barca, they seem to be the two best teams in the game with basiclly no faults.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Holsten wrote: »
    Pick Man United or Barca, they seem to be the two best teams in the game with basiclly no faults.

I wouldn't agree with this. I'd be more likely to pick a weaker team 4.5 star, I used to pick Utd all the time but now I play with Everton and it's much improved my game!! You might only get one chance in a game and sometimes that's all you need!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this. I'd be more likely to pick a weaker team 4.5 star, I used to pick Utd all the time but now I play with Everton and it's much improved my game!! You might only get one chance in a game and sometimes that's all you need!

+1

We've already had the United witch-hunt during the the boards Season 1 FIFA league, and guys complaining that United vs Chelsea was unfair.

You should start off using United. When you feel comfortable, play as a lesser side. It'll help you improve, because you can't run rings around people, you'll actually have to play some football and discover how important movement is. Then when you go back to play as United, you'll have the speed of the team, and the proper movement skills you've learned with the poor sides and you should be a really hard person to beat with a combo of skill and a good team.

First things first though. Find a formation that suits how you play, and fit in your tactics around that. These two things, but formation above all, are key to winning! I can't suggest any, because everyone plays a different way.

Some other tips:
    - Dont use a custom team, you may win a couple of games because of their speed, but you'll gain absolutely no skill what so ever by playing with the best 11 in the game.
    - Don't quit. You don't get better by quitting or acting the twat when you are losing a game.

Enjoy, and happy winning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Thanks . Im still trying to figure it out tbh but gettin better .. I know about the online teams 11 playing .. Is there anything else on it like a cup where u play a few teams online ?

When dribbling they seems to be able to dodge my lunge which i keep tapping A but i cant seem to understand how to get other buttons to wrk defending?

Thanks for the advice..Im hooked at the mo

If anyone wants to add me im bigslickpoker online

Also if u change ur custom tactics b4 play and speed up to 100 all of them wat does this do ?

Whats the best formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Thanks . Im still trying to figure it out tbh but gettin better .. I know about the online teams 11 playing .. Is there anything else on it like a cup where u play a few teams online ?

When dribbling they seems to be able to dodge my lunge which i keep tapping A but i cant seem to understand how to get other buttons to wrk defending?

Thanks for the advice..Im hooked at the mo

If anyone wants to add me im bigslickpoker online

Also if u change ur custom tactics b4 play and speed up to 100 all of them wat does this do ?

Whats the best formation?

I was like you at the beginning. But now im pretty solid at the game. I only ever pick liverpool though, need to start trying a few other teams.:rolleyes:

Regards tactics I think your better off just trying the first pre made ones like counter attack, possession, high pressure etc. Once you get used to these you may find one of them suits your style.

+1 regards all the tips about defending. NEVER press (hold x on my old pes settings) if its basically your defense against their attack youll get split open.

Another thing is check your game settings to see if your assisted or manual on anythings such as through balls, shooting etc. Manual and even semi shooting in the game can be a bit all over the place!

Also anyone wanting to add me check my gamertag. Since ive gotten half decent at this game I nearly have a ratio of 2:1 for people quiting on me!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i always keep my finger on X when defending, and id say im pretty solid at the back.
    it makes the player run beside your openent then he knudges him off the ball or sticks his foot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hey Neill

Those Fifa tips wont help you down in Hibs today :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

i always keep my finger on X when defending, and id say im pretty solid at the back.
    it makes the player run beside your openent then he knudges him off the ball or sticks his foot in.

Havent my joypad to hand but isnt X the slide tackle button? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I play really well with Man U I've really developed a style with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What, put Ronaldo up front and become unstopable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Axwell wrote: »
    Havent my joypad to hand but isnt X the slide tackle button? :D

no. its the stick your foot in and shoulder them button!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

no. its the stick your foot in and shoulder them button!

Its X on PS3, A on the XBOX to do this. X on the XBOX is slide tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

What, put Ronaldo up front and become unstopable?

lmao :D

What buttons do ye use for defending?

Most games I play when defending i seem to have a lot of hassle getting the ball off the attackers, yet when I am attacking, their defenders can nearly walk the ball off my feet!!!

I tried using LT + A to jockey, but my defends stop in their tracks, so when defending now, i am nearly always just whacking A in the hopes of getting the ball...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

CKWPORT wrote: »
    What buttons do ye use for defending?

Most games I play when defending i seem to have a lot of hassle getting the ball off the attackers, yet when I am attacking, their defenders can nearly walk the ball off my feet!!!

I tried using LT + A to jockey, but my defends stop in their tracks, so when defending now, i am nearly always just whacking A in the hopes of getting the ball...

Actually I could do with a bit of help with this aswell. I use LT + A to jockey and with RT for the running jockey but no matter what player I'm controlling or who he's against the opposite team are always faster and they easily get through my defense, yet when I'm attacking and sprinting with it the defense easily gets the ball off me.
    I'm also have a problem with alot of open spaces left by my defenders. Most of the time the opponents forwards can run into the box without even being put under pressure.
    Is this just the way I'm playing to do I need to change my match tactics? And if it is me does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remedy my poor defense?

Turd Ferguson, thats exactly the same problem I am having...

I've been messing around with formations and stuff too, but I haven't improved much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Ok, im a pretty experienced player with a great record (hehe) so here's some of my tips, I tried to explain at my best ok:

DEFENDING

Dont run straight to the defender holding A or whatever, this is what I do: Hold LT and keep backing off him and side stepping to stop him running past you so he will have to slow down and turn, and while holding LT hold B to bring a second CP controlled defender over to help you, and over time you will figure out how to use this to your advantage, i.e. you will use your controlled player to cover a overlapping player etc.

SHOOTING
    Dont hold down B (Or whatever button you use to shoot) to long only hold it until about half way up the bar as this will keep it low and hard, and moving the thumb stick is KEY. I.E. If you are 1on1 with the keeper, tap B and hold RB for a finesse tap shot, and while doing this, aim left or right, and with practice you will be able to guide it around the keeper 80% of the time, without kicking it straight at him. Also if you are 1on1 and the keeper is rushing out at you fast, CHIP SHOT HIM, as kicking it plainly at him will never score for you, but chipping it will either score, or cause a bit of mayhem with the defenders, where you might get a tap in.

GOALKEEPING
    Pretty simple this, if a player is racing at your defence, have your finger floating over the Y button, as to anticipate him getting through so your keeper can smother it.
    Also, here is another tip, if your defence is high and a player races through and is say coming at an angle at your keeper 1on1, hold Y for a second or 2 to bring your keeper out a bit, and then let it go, this will cause your keeper to start moving back to the line. With inexperienced players, this will cause them to chip the ball, and most of the time your keeper will catch it as he will be back on the line. This will need practice.

MIDFIELD
    With a CM, this is vital; if your opponents defence is high, and your CF's are trying to stay onside, tap LB twice to make your players make a run, which will open up space for you. This will alot of the time give you either a crossing chance or a through ball chance. This is probably worth showing in game to get the point.
    Also wingers are important as if you have a fast one, alot of the time you can cut inside buy holding LT and rolling the RS sideways (Hard to explain here) and this will alot of the time get you past a defender who is running alongside you.

VARIOUS

Custom formations are very important, tinker with them, and create ones for:
    1. Seeing out a match i.e. a VERY Defensive formation, with 5 defenders, 2 DM, 1 CM, 1 CF.

2. An attacking one if you are behind and don't have much time; 3 CF's, 3 Defenders, 2 CM's, 2 Wingers.

And just create others with your preference.

Custom Tactics
    are pretty useless in My opinion, dont bother with them.
    I always at the start of the game, start with the offside trap (up on dpad), as it will save you many times. If you dont have much experience maybe done bother with that.

If you want me to show you these in a private game, PM me for my GT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Ta for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Try and get the ball in the opposition goal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

fifa tournament at the next bigslickpoker event??

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

CyberWaste wrote: »
    tap LB twice to make your players make a run, which will open up space for you.

i actually never knew about this. god help everybody now

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Great tips, thanks.
    I just got the game a couple of days ago so I'm completely lame but I'm up for a game with anyone. I'd love to get into the boards league once I've had a bit of practice.

Xbox 360 gamertag is BlahPrime

Advertisement