Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pub opening in charlesland?????

Options
  • 22-01-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

has anybody else heard that the pub in the charlesland centre might be opening soon??? i heard the rent was slashed and that it is currently (or very soon) being kitted out and will open in the spring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

not heard a peep but hope your right because the current selection is pretty poor. the only places to get a decent pint of guinness is the molly malones in kilcoole and the carrig in killincarrig.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Never knew there was a pub opening. Great news though because it will be a short stroll home and no queuing for taxis! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rumours, rumours, rumours. does anyone know anything concrete? With the Woodlands lodge for sale and various other local pubs struggling, it seems unlikely to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

i heard from one of the lads that will be working installing furniture etc. i won't believe it till i see it, but he said he was going to be working there from january onwards. time will tell i suppose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

happyhappy wrote: »
    i heard from one of the lads that will be working installing furniture etc. i won't believe it till i see it, but he said he was going to be working there from january onwards. time will tell i suppose!!

The is NO pub opening. The selling agent has confirmed that with current economic climate, they cannot attract any publican to take this lease off their hands.

He also said that the other establishments in the village are not performing to their potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dubrunner wrote: »
    The is NO pub opening. The selling agent has confirmed that with current economic climate, they cannot attract any publican to take this lease off their hands.

He also said that the other establishments in the village are not performing to their potential.

I find it amazing that there is no pub there. It would have decent trade. How many of us in Charlesland have thought about a pint but cant be bothered to walk into Gstones? Pubs in Gstones have competition where as Charlesland wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that there is no pub there. It would have decent trade. How many of us in Charlesland have thought about a pint but cant be bothered to walk into Gstones? Pubs in Gstones have competition where as Charlesland wouldnt.

I agree. I don't like Kilcoole and can't be bothered going to Greystones that much as I'd have to walk home or get a taxi. A pub in Charlesland would do great business and I can certainly see myself there on Saturday and Sunday afternoons watching whatever match they have on.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

it would defo do a good business. how many people live within walking distance of it?? a couple of thousand or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SJPRogue

pub there would be great for matches and things like that. It would probably need to do food too to get decent turnover.

Even then, though, I'd wonder if it would get enough day-to-day, week-to-week trade to survive. It's expensive to run a pub and while charlesland/eden gate are pretty big, i don't know if they are big enough to support a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

SJPRogue wrote: »
    pub there would be great for matches and things like that. It would probably need to do food too to get decent turnover.

Even then, though, I'd wonder if it would get enough day-to-day, week-to-week trade to survive. It's expensive to run a pub and while charlesland/eden gate are pretty big, i don't know if they are big enough to support a pub.
    At €1m just to get in the door. No they're not big enough to support and show a return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

At €1m just to get in the door. No they're not big enough to support and show a return.

€1m for the key money for a lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SJPRogue

WOW!!!!!

€1M.... no wonder no1 has gone near it. They'd be mad!!! another sign of the celtic tiger's rabies! developers gone mad....

You'd need another 7 or 8 charleslands at least to make that work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I over heard someone saying something like 250,000 rent a year, not sure if that is right, although i was talking to a landlord that was interested in it, and all he said was hat they were asking stupid money, no chance now.. bubble has burst... that place will be empty for years to come now..

Shame really.. could be a really nice place.. Could see myself sat there for most sporting matches

I over heard someone saying something like 250,000 rent a year, not sure if that is right, although i was talking to a landlord that was interested in it, and all he said was hat they were asking stupid money, no chance now.. bubble has burst... that place will be empty for years to come now..

Shame really.. could be a really nice place.. Could see myself sat there for most sporting matches

Sounds about right for the times we've had. They'll eventually lower the rent, better to have it getting some money in than sitting there.

Sounds about right for the times we've had. They'll eventually lower the rent, better to have it getting some money in than sitting there.

thats what I've been saying for the last 3 years but they've still left it sitting empty - how much lost revenue is that?

loyatemu wrote: »
    thats what I've been saying for the last 3 years but they've still left it sitting empty - how much lost revenue is that?

I dont know the exact unit, but there may be licensing issues?

I dont know the exact unit, but there may be licensing issues?

well, whoever took the lease would also have to get a Liquor License, but I don't think this is as difficult as it once was - there are pubs closing around the country every day and selling their licenses. Script managed to obtain one. The unit already has planning permission to open as a pub...

loyatemu wrote: »
    well, whoever took the lease would also have to get a Liquor License, but I don't think this is as difficult as it once was - there are pubs closing around the country every day and selling their licenses. Script managed to obtain one. The unit already has planning permission to open as a pub...

Strange. Prob due to high rents, cost to kit out, possibility of not trading well, and complaints.

Here's a thought... Why doesn't everyone that wants a pub get together and in a year or so, the rent may be low enough start something..

Would be funny if it did.. Could we make our own home brew and sell it... ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Misslizzy

Yes, I've often thought that the residents should set up our own pub co-op with crappy secondhand furniture and resist the urge to make it all swanky... Keep it very low budget... and have something low tech and accessible like a weekly cinema night. We could do with some type of community focal point!

• Advertisement

Misslizzy wrote: »
    Yes, I've often thought that the residents should set up our own pub co-op with crappy secondhand furniture and resist the urge to make it all swanky... Keep it very low budget... and have something low tech and accessible like a weekly cinema night. We could do with some type of community focal point!

I was saying on another thread that over the weekend i overheard a bloke in the Carrig saying he was doing up that empty space behind Superquinn and it will be open in the next 3 months. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

With pubs and nightclubs in the centre of Dublin going to the wall i cant see a pub opening in there for a good while, the way Ireland is going maybe he is fitting it out as a soup kitchen :D

Ireland first Co-Op pub would be savage.......cost price beers and no taxi home!

With pubs and nightclubs in the centre of Dublin going to the wall i cant see a pub opening in there for a good while, the way Ireland is going maybe he is fitting it out as a soup kitchen :D

Ireland first Co-Op pub would be savage.......cost price beers and no taxi home!

Too many pubs in the centre of Dublin. This estate is crying out for a pub. Well, im crying every time i walk back from Greystones :cool:

What on earth is going on with this country, a country known for its pubs and having the craic but yet one of the biggest housing estates in Wicklow and all we have within walking distance is 2 health clubs / gyms...

Madness....:mad:

Advertisement