Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maine ply to wet rooms?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 3:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭

Marine ply around 'wet' areas.

Just looking for others views on specifying marine plywood as boarding for bathrooms, ensuites etc where tiling is speced for finish.

Theory being that if tiling on plasterboard and tiles are changed, they tear the plasterboard off with them...

any views??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Good spec . Can be enhanced by fibreglass tanking .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Marine ply instead of plasterboard, at least for the first 150mm. If on a timber structure any crack or joint in the tiles will allow water onto the pb and the tiles will fall off the wall.

Fibreglass tanking should be specced if its a wetroom but if its to be tiled over and a concrete structure then bitumen could be used.

All tiled junctions between walls and floors should be sealed with a flexible mastic instead of grout or else use an upstand tile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cementboard is great in wetrooms. Good mass for underfloor electric heating to floor tiles. Easy to tank.

RKQ wrote: »
    Cementboard is great in wetrooms. Good mass for underfloor electric heating to floor tiles. Easy to tank.

TBH that would be my preferance aswell but it still seems to be really expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

RKQ wrote: »

To right, Hydropanel is ideal for this type of application, timber should be avoided at all costs !

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Slates wrote: »
    To right, Hydropanel is ideal for this type of application, timber should be avoided at all costs !

why?

Tiling onto plasterboard is what many many thousands have on their bathrooms You can tile over tiles . Or if (refurb ) budget allows - rip tiles and plasterboard off . Honestly I would not see it ( ply ) as a must do

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Tiling onto plasterboard is what many many thousands have on their bathrooms You can tile over tiles . Or if (refurb ) budget allows - rip tiles and plasterboard off . Honestly I would not see it ( ply ) as a must do

I agree if its a bathroom or if the shower has a tray but if its on a timber floor and its a wetroom then I think the added security of cement board/marine ply is worth the marginal extra cost

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look at http://www.wetwall.com/ You have to get it from the UK, but it's very good stuff. I've no idea of price, but have seen it "in the flesh" and it looks good and wears well.

Slig wrote: »
    I agree if its a bathroom or if the shower has a tray but if its on a timber floor and its a wetroom then I think the added security of cement board/marine ply is worth the marginal extra cost

no argument there

• Advertisement
Advertisement