Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat 24 Sun 25 - Where to

Options
  • 22-01-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

What beaches would be working this weekend. Travelling form Dublin saturday morning so prefarably Sligo area as it seems to be the quickest spot to get to but will travel further if recommended. Only surfing a little while so at the stage of popping up in most whitewater waves we go for and attempting to catch (and stay up) on proper waves......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

abcjonesy wrote: »
    Hi,

What beaches would be working this weekend. Travelling form Dublin saturday morning so prefarably Sligo area as it seems to be the quickest spot to get to but will travel further if recommended. Only surfing a little while so at the stage of popping up in most whitewater waves we go for and attempting to catch (and stay up) on proper waves......

I'm at a similar level by the sound's of things and i was dying to get out this week. Spoke to someone in Sligo and said conditions were too rough for most surfers especially anyone in the beginner(ish) category.

I was speaking to someone in Portrush however and he said it should be ok for lunchtime surfing. Said i'll probably be working the whitewater for the most part. Portrush is just an hour from Belfast so it's not a crazy distance from Dublin.

I'm still undecided.....

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Was out west yesterday. Strandhill and Bundoran were way too big and messy but we found a beach that was sheltered and was ok for beginners so had some fun there. But it began to get too messy there after two hours. Not sure what the forecast is like for the weekend but if you are a beginner there is plenty of whitewater about. Just be aware of rips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

abcjonesy wrote: »
    What beaches would be working this weekend.....

Try Tramore. According to http://www.surf-forecast.com/europe_wam.shtml the waves should be in the 5-9ft range. According to http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/pressure/ the wind shouldnt be too agro, so thats where I am headed.

It helps to constantly refer to those sites as the likes of Magicseaweed is permanently wrong and Windguru isnt far behind. Try the buoy data on Marine.ie too for trends and surf-forecast.com gives you an overview as to what beaches work best in what conditions.

Tramore works in the current swell, though the wind direction is just a bit off at the mo. Still, I would prefer smaller clean waves than blown out beaches any day.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

Thanks for all the info guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Thinking Inchydoney (Cork) is looking good Saturday - any thoughts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

There are 3 of us heading to Portstewart/Portrush. Hopefully it'll be ok I have been checking all week and in my very very limited forecasting experience it looks to be the best of what's out there. I'm beginner/intermediate so I'm hoping the fact that the swell has to wrap around Malin head will take some of the size out of it and the wind should be ok. I did talk to someone up there and they reckoned it should be ok this weekend. But then again I'm not very good at this the best of luck where ever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

garrettstown in cork at around midday, low tide, offshore, 30ft westerly swell (i.e under 10ft faces). Wind's gonna pick up around 3pm though!

it's gonna be a battle getting out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Portrush was decent today. out for a couple of hours round lunchtime. Probably head back again during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Myself and a couple of mates ended up in Clonea today..was a bit messy but we got a couple of good ones...its got bigger as the afternoon went on.

Advertisement