Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of the so called Green party

Options
  • 22-01-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

another cllr, quits the green party....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0122/green.html

Dublin City Council Green Party member Bronwen Maher has resigned from the party.
    Ms Maher said she made the decision due to irreconcilable differences regarding policy and the direction of the party leadership.
    She said she could not support the party leadership as a result of its deliberate change of policy direction.
    She said the party has sacrificed its role as a watchdog for a weak, ambitious programme for Government.
    In a letter to the Party Leader John Gormley, Ms Maher said the party is now seen as propping up Government. She accused the Green Party of having no top or bottom line and she said its role in Government is ill-defined.
    Ms Maher said she would concentrate on getting herself re-elected in the Clontarf electoral area. She confirmed this morning she did not speak to Mr Gormley since sometime after Christmas when he rang her for a favour.
    She also said she had not made the decision to leave the Greens to improve her chances of re-election to the City Council.
    Greens 'have no Govt strategy'
    She said being re-elected would be equally as difficult be she in the party or out. The councillor added that she wants to be part of a party that has a more social justice focus, for now she remains as an independent.
    She accused the party of having no strategy in Government.
    In her open letter to Mr Gormley, Ms Maher said the Green Party had stood for activists protesting against the Poolbeg Incinerator, the M3 and Tara, the Shannon stop-over and the Corrib gas project.
    She said the party has traded that role for a weak policy platform, whilst at the same time supporting cuts in health and education, public transport and equality cuts.
    She said the withdrawal of a life saving vaccination programme recently is also a major issue for her.
    The gathering economic gloom is thought to be adding to disillusion among some in the Green Party at their performance in Government.
    But after the resignation of Cork City Councillor Chris O'Leary yesterday, the party leadership insisted it is in Government for the long haul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If she is campaigning against the major infrastructure projects she names then she is better out of the way. It seems to me that her approach is that typical of the more fanatical Greens -- stop everything, ban everything, look for suitable caves to live in. However, if she and her comrades manage to wipe out the Green party and thus get rid of Gormley, they I'd vote for her since that might also get rid of FF before it's too late;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The Green party does not deserve the name any more.
    ART6 wrote: »
    If she is campaigning against the major infrastructure projects she names then she is better out of the way. It seems to me that her approach is that typical of the more fanatical Greens -- stop everything, ban everything, look for suitable caves to live in.

It's typical for those who have lost an argument on intellectual grounds to resort to vicious parody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

The green party have given environmental issues a bad name. People are wary of anything the greens endorse now, be it a green issue or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Húrin wrote: »
    The Green party does not deserve the name any more.

Not really they just now represent a different sort of a green as in green slang for idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The Green Party have lost all their stratigies and greenness etc. to stay in power.

We need a proper Green Party, not the Ryan & Gormley joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Is this the end of the Green Party? Certainly not. They have 29 more where she came from. Her reasons for leaving are a little pathetic. Tara et al was abandoned when the Greens first signed up to Government, so they clearly have no bearing on her decision to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Our political system and laws can only be changed from within. I think that if you look closely at what is being done by the respective green ministers there is cause for hope. They are constrained by the devil we know and all the red tape that goes with it. Slowly slowly catchee monkey!

But look at what they have done, that would not have been done if they were not there. Have a look at the latest news reports here on an almost daily basis, I do. Try chasing a stag from 150 meters away! No fun at all, i'm sure.

http://www.environ.ie/en/

I for one cannot wait to see the promised new planning laws, promised very soon, that will get rid of the mindset within our planning laws that has allowed shifty greedy operators to operate unauthorised developments freely quarrying away our beauitiful limestone pavements, in the full knowledge of the council.

Anyone expecting miracles is not living in the real world,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I for one will be much more likely to vote Green once all the nutters have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I know that Trevor Sargent did'nt have too many fans in the plotically aware arena, but what he had, and what the green party has since lost, is an awful ot of credibilty, such as an actual green agenda. While it wasn't perfect, at least there were some ideals that wouldn't be sold out for the price of an impotent ministerial position. Yes the the Neo greens should form a Cuimnhe Glas, with new priorites and a new manner of of addressing them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think Fianna Fáil will claim another scalp with the Green party. The next election will tell a lot but I think the Green party have lost a lot of credibility in Ireland. It was a terrible decision to go into goverment with FF.

The justification that its easier to effect change in goverment than outside doesn't wash with me. FF will only give what FF want to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

murphym7 wrote: »
    I think Fianna Fáil will claim another scalp with the Green party. The next election will tell a lot but I think the Green party have lost a lot of credibility in Ireland. It was a terrible decision to go into goverment with FF.

The justification that its easier to effect change in goverment than outside doesn't wash with me. FF will only give what FF want to give.

As before, the kiss of death:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

According to a poll in tomorrows Sunday Business Post, Green support is up 3 points from 5% to 8%

Only a poll but more representative than the opinions of posters on Green Issues!

Advertisement