Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suing a company that may be in financial difficulty

Options
  • 22-01-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to be careful how I word this because it is based on a real case that my own solicitor is dealing with but it kind of triggered a thought about the wider world.

At the moment there are any number of companies in financial difficulties. Chatting to my own solicitor she was saying that she has seen a marked change in her own practice - land and property work is at a standstill but litigation around debts has replaced it.

But there must be a point where teh advantage of suing for your money is lost simply because the client may not have the funds to pay even if you win a judgement against them. Do you approach it on a case by case basis? Is there an advantage if you are teh creditor who forces a firm into liquidation? If you suspect that a company may not have teh funds should you sue anyway to register your claim?

Like I said I don't want to discuss specifics or get advice (my solicitor is expensive enough to trust ;) ) but I'm interested in hearing about the general principles.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Question 1. Yes, generally case by case;
    Question 2. No advantage, but potentially you could collect under a fire sale, depends on Plaintiff; and
    3. Depends on the individual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

The general principles of litigation still apply. You should only sue a party if you think they will be able to satisfy any judgement that you get. Nothing worse than spending a fortune on getting a judgement and having nowhere to go to cash it in.

Advertisement