Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Wishy-Washy

Options
  • 22-01-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

folks

Anybody remember this character from the early days of "The Last Word" with Dunphy.

I was wondering if anybody knows anyplace on the net where u can listen to these comedy sketches?

BTW - these sketches were not exactly PC and not for those easily offended.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

folks

Anybody remember this character from the early days of "The Last Word" with Dunphy.

I was wondering if anybody knows anyplace on the net where u can listen to these comedy sketches?

BTW - these sketches were not exactly PC and not for those easily offended.
    Just giving this a bump as I would love to hear them again myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

One of the funniest characters on radio : whoever created the character and did the caricature was brilliant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

hinault wrote: »
    One of the funniest characters on radio : whoever created the character and did the caricature was brilliant.
    Tom Dunne was the voice if I remember correctly, same voice as Dr Bill on gift grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Beeker wrote: »
    Tom Dunne was the voice if I remember correctly, same voice as Dr Bill on gift grub.

I didn't know that.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Beeker wrote: »

i don't think it was tom dunne

i think it was the guy who did navan man

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »

You might be right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

philstar wrote: »

Stuart Carolyn was a producer of The Last Word and did the voice of Navan Man and was behind (and possibly the voice of) the Drunken Politician. As far as I know, Stuart was involved with all the funny sketches, including Dr. Bill, even when he was not voicing them. And, yes, Tom Dunne did the voice of Dr. Bill (by the way, that was a skit on Bill Cullen).

I cannot actually remember Fr. Wishy-Washy, but I would imagine Stuart Carolyn would have had a hand in that, if not the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Yeah it was defintley tom Dunne who used to do fr wishy washy

i too would love to hear the sketches again fr wishy washy was very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Was it Stephen Price who did it?? The (in)famous interview between Tom Dunne and Father Wishy Washy was one of the most hysterical pieces of radio I have ever heard in my whole life. It was the "three is the magic number" slot and he had The Pixies De-baser as one of them. The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson was another. Would love to get my hands on it again. Tom Dunne cracks up a thousand times in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

garbanzo wrote: »
    Was it Stephen Price who did it??

Yes, it was Stephen Price who did it. He was a producer on the Dunphy show. Wrote a book called the Monkey Man, which was a hilarious piss take on the Dublin media scene, and featured a character who seemed to resemble Mr Dunphy. Now writes the media column for the Sunday Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

IronMan wrote: »
    Yes, it was Stephen Price who did it. He was a producer on the Dunphy show. Wrote a book called the Monkey Man, which was a hilarious piss take on the Dublin media scene, and featured a character who seemed to resemble Mr Dunphy. Now writes the media column for the Sunday Times.
    His writing on media for The Times is top rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

bob50 wrote: »
    Yeah it was defintley tom Dunne who used to do fr wishy washy

slightly off track - but the words
    wishy washy & tom dunne sounds about right IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Yeah I think it was 2001/2 whwn dunphy last worked on the last word but fr wishy washy was the man

I'd love to get my hands on some of the recordings. It was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I was googling Father wishy washy and it lead me here.

Don't suppose anyone has links to the pedophile priests past sketches??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 geekfromduleek

I was listening to Matt Cooper yesterday evening, he interviewed Stuart Carolan the writer of Love/Hate and briefly recalled him doing the voice of Fr Wishy Washy and Navan man.

BTW it was a very awkward interview, he seemed very nervous or scattered brained. Interview was all over the shop......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I had a double cassette (yes cassette) of sketches from the last word that I got circa 2000. Father Wishy Washy, Navan Man and the Drunken Politician.

I was going to ring Joe Duffy today to see if anybody else had a copy to save me looking in the attic.

If I find it and have the patience to make audio files out of them I'll stick it on youtube. Should get 8 or 9 views anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

BPKS wrote: »
    I had a double cassette (yes cassette) of sketches from the last word that I got circa 2000. Father Wishy Washy, Navan Man and the Drunken Politician.

I was going to ring Joe Duffy today to see if anybody else had a copy to save me looking in the attic.

If I find it and have the patience to make audio files out of them I'll stick it on youtube. Should get 8 or 9 views anyway.

"I'll buy that for a dollar"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

NAVAN MAN material is available on itunes for purchase, there are brief clips available for free including Father Wishy-Washy's predecessor, Father Sneaky.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Advertisement