Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any boardsies in Frankfurt?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving over to Frankfurt next week, and was wondering if any boardsies live or lived there?

The move has come right out of the blue, so I'm trying to get a general impression of the place before I touch down!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

my older sister worked here for a year and a bit :)

she really liked it but she said frankfurt has a bit of the irish summer syndrome, i.e rain rain rain, but less of those dreary outragouesly cold days we get here in eire in the summer.

sorry thats all i know really. i could ask her some questions about anything u need to know if ya like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I lived there for over 2 years. Not the nicest of German cities, but there are good spots plus it's very easy to get out of the city. Couple nice small towns around the Taunus. Weisbaden, Darmstadt, Heidelberg are not far away for day trips. During the summer you head along the Rhein to some of the wine valleys. If you are into motor sport, Hockenheim is close by. Frankfurt have an ice-hockey team, they are in the Bundes Liga.

Night life is not bad, lots of good clubs like Cocoon, Living (under the central bank), King Kamehamea (one of my faves, Hanauer Landstrasse), U60311 (techno, but good, built in an unused underground station at Haupwoche). There was a great a club called 190 East, next door King Kamehamea but I think it might be closed now.

One of the main areas for heading out would be Sachsenhausen, good bars along here, few Irish bars as well. The Sibhin would have been the best of them, good sessions in there. It's not on the main pedestrian street, too hard to describe! Bornheim can be good with the right crowd and the city center has a few good bars, can be a bit yuppy, you'll see the Ferarri's, Lambo's, etc parked there. Helium and Studio are good, they are at Haupwoche.

If you want to watch sport then O'Reillys across from the Haupbahnhof is the spot. They have plenty of big screens showing different games. The red-light area is just there as well, you'll see the junkies shooting up on the street. The Polizei leave them to it in that area.

The are around Romer is nice and on Saturday mornings if you get up early and head across the bridge, there is a flea market on the other side of the Mainz. Some cool stuff can be found there.

Weather is alright, better than Ireland. But the Summers can be a bit unbearable if it hits the mid-30's. No sea breeze there to keep you cool and the place can stink. But you could also get an Irish summer there!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 uiscebeatha

I live in Koblenz, it's about an hour away by train.

I love it here, am having the time of my life!!

This whole region is nice, you're very close to Mainz, and Cologne and Bonn aren't far.

How long are you here for?

Advertisement