Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your forum feedback

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:46pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭

Forums are for the people that use them, and the rules should respect the wishes of the posters withn the forum. Of course general boards rules are always going to be in place, but if someone has a comment to make about things they would like to change, be clarified in the charter, or taken out then feel free to post it here.

We will review this thread for suggestions/comments and if we feel there is enough support for something, or that something is a good suggestion, then if it is good for the forum and its posters, then we can make the change.

All (civil) feedback welcome. No promises to include something because it is mentioned, but if you have grievances or constructive criticism, this is the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Was going to suggest a 'Boasts' sticky similar to the bad beats one in poker and i see there's one been set up which is great. While posts like the one on Ronnie for the snooker aren't exactling trolling or anything, it was VERY pointless in terms of the forum (neither a tip nor discussion and no advice was asked or offerred).

Otherwise, the elimination of aftertiming would be the main thing, both in terms of stating bets made and slating losing tips. This could be the job of all posters and not just mods. Simply posting 'aftertiming' after guilty posts may be an idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From that point of view, I think reported posts are quite important. the last couple of instances of in thread accusations of aftertiming were not reported at all, and th eone before that I got a PM about it. Reporting posts is the easiest and most traceable way or doing this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

The board could really do with a proper description about proper bankroll management where it could be explained that proper gambling involves discipline rather than this lark below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469396

Something like this:

http://www.goonersguide.com/basic_betting_tips.html

http://www.goonersguide.com/advanced_betting_tips.html

While I understand that most people bet the odd tenner on some long-shot for a bit of crack, anybody who bets regularly with decent amounts of money should be encouraged to have an understanding of the basics.

Edit: 400th post! Yeehaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

5starpool wrote: »
    From that point of view, I think reported posts are quite important. the last couple of instances of in thread accusations of aftertiming were not reported at all, and th eone before that I got a PM about it. Reporting posts is the easiest and most traceable way or doing this imo.

+1

I don't think users realise sometimes how much mods value reported posts. It makes life so much easier and we can then take the appropriate action.

The 'boasts' thread is a great idea and will go a long way to alleviating the after timing problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just ban people who aftertime instantly. If there's a boast thread it should only be used for boasting so I can avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I think that is roughly what we will be doing.

The boasting thread hasn't kicked off yet but when it does any after timing outside of it will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My own suggestion would be to have one big thread for people posting accumulators. I really don't see the merit in people just posting selections without giving any reasons for them (in fact the forum charter bans selections wihtout reasoning).

Obviously I've no problem with people putting up individual bets or even accumulators, as long as they post the basis for their optimism. Posts highlighting what a poster deems to be value would also be welcomed. Obviously discussion on gambling news, strategies etc would be encouraged. I'd strongly discourage threads entitled "Who do you think will win the superbowl". While there's nothing wrong with having a thread on betting within the superbowl, surely the American Football forum is a better place to discuss who'll win. (Obviously this is just an example and would apply to all sports)

Advertisement