Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coin meters

Options
  • 21-01-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i am wiring up an apartment for a guy and he wants it run off a coin meter, there will be a T90 shower(8kw),2 panal heaters(2kw),fan heater(1.2kw),undersink water heater(1.2kw),electric hob & oven aswell as the usual lights and sockets ud have in an apartment.
    would this be hard on a coin meter and would u be forever puting money in it to keep these appliances going?
    its a 2euro coin metre?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It would depend what rate you set the meter, to how often you have to put in coins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

€2 at 15c per unit = 13.33 kW/hours.
    According to my maths, a power shower at 8kW will use €2 in 1hr 35mins.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

10-10-20 wrote: »
    €2 at 15c per unit = 13.33 kW/hours.
    According to my maths, a power shower at 8kW will use €2 in 1hr 35mins.

wow when you read it like that it looks crazy. Anyone know the final story with coin meters anyway, I thought that selling electricity on was banned but coin meters seem to have survived, I still don't think a landlord can mark them up, they may do so but I don't know if it's legal :confused:

Having said that having one on the correct ESB rate might be a good way to economise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont think its illegal but should be the correct rate. But that brings its out problems. Because the bill is made of of several things and not just unit charges its very hard to set a correct overall rate.

* Unit charges €0.1640 (kWh)
    * Standing charges (€0.2520 per day) €15.37 bi monthly
    * A PSO levy (currently set at zero)
    * A Public Service Obligation (PSO ) Related Rebate €1.91 per month
    * VAT on the total amount at 13.5%

The correct way would be to set the meter at the unit charge plus vat €0.1861. Then every two months will need to give the landlord €17.44 for the standing charge which includes the vat.

If it was me, i would get the landlord to request a meter change, and get ESB to install a token meter, so you are in complete control and its 100% fair and above board for all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

ESB Networks will not install token meters on request (at least not on foot of a customer request), unfortunately.

Even some of the more problematic customers don't receive them ;)

It's not a policy I agree with, as other utilities have no problem with providing budget controllers to anyone who asks. NIE for example.

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware of that. I presume they don't want the re-setting cost rising, that's their main reason I would suspect.

OP if they wont install a token meter for you, i suggest you think about getting the bill in your own name if that would suit you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I thought in the case of apartments all meters hat to be accessible from the one location for reading. In any case it's common practice for the tenant to sign up with the ESB rather than the landlord.
    Any time coin meters are used, the customer just uses the collected loot to pay the ESB bill with anyway, I don't think the ESB have ever emptied them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

davton wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of that. I presume they don't want the re-setting cost rising, that's their main reason I would suspect.

That's pretty much it, I reckon.
    SteveC wrote: »
    I thought in the case of apartments all meters hat to be accessible from the one location for reading. In any case it's common practice for the tenant to sign up with the ESB rather than the landlord.
    Any time coin meters are used, the customer just uses the collected loot to pay the ESB bill with anyway, I don't think the ESB have ever emptied them.

They're not ESB property, so they wouldn't be going near them.

The old florin meters are long since gone (we had one up until the mid eighties), which were the last coin op meters ESBN used.

Advertisement