Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No display on monitor problem

Options
  • 21-01-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

An older pc but not too old(motherboard is about 3 to 4 years old) seems to be booting up fine, it's making all the right noises, keyboard lights come on etc etc. But I'm getting no display on any monitor I try. All my monitors are working fine - they work with my main pc. I've tried Dvi-D connections and Analog - neither works. I've tried different graphics cards - no difference. I've checked over all my connections -everything looks fine.

Anyone any idea of the likely cause of the problem. I'm inclined to think it's a faulty motherboard, but before I rush out to buy a replacement just wanted to see if any of you computer geniuses think it might be some other issue?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Clear the CMOS?

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

try reseating your ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

If you have tried installing other graphics cards and monitors and you see no text on the screen then the chances are it is an issue with the system board, there are a couple of basic ways of testing the MB:

remove ram cards and see if you get beep codes indicating the MB has detected they are missing (not all MBs will beep)

remove CPU and see if you get beep codes for missing CPU

refer to your vendors website for beep code sequences,

also see this link http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/support/lcs/faq/411559.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Thanks for the advice. I've tried reseating the ram and cleared the cmos(I think ;) ) and no visuals happening. :( think at this stage I'm just going to abandon ship and try to get a cheapy replacement motherboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it displaying anything at all??
    Sometimes moniters will display until windows loads and then come up with that error. If it is showing the boot screen then hold F8 while windows is loading and choose "Enable VGA mode" then drop the refresh rate down to the lowest setting you can and restart the system.

If it is displaying nothing at all then I would suggest seeing if there is onboard graphics, if not then your AGP/PCI slot could have come away from the board, if so its only a small solder fix.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Is it displaying anything at all??
    Sometimes moniters will display until windows loads and then come up with that error. If it is showing the boot screen then hold F8 while windows is loading and choose "Enable VGA mode" then drop the refresh rate down to the lowest setting you can and restart the system.

If it is displaying nothing at all then I would suggest seeing if there is onboard graphics, if not then your AGP/PCI slot could have come away from the board, if so its only a small solder fix.

It's displaying absolutely nothing. For some reason I didn't think there was onboard graphics but just have spotted that there is. I'll check that out - I have a feeling though that all this fiddling about and shutting down the pc with the power button I might have done additional damage. The boot up after clearing the cmos didn't sound right.... anyway I'll see if this onboard graphics works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If the onboard works, then go into the bios and disable the onboard. That is your problem mate. ;) If not try the other thing I mentioned above.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If the onboard works, then go into the bios and disable the onboard. That is your problem mate. ;) If not try the other thing I mentioned above.

Sorry what looked inititally like a slot for a vga connection was a slot for something else :o.

On the other thing ... my AGP slot doesn't seem to have come away from the board and I don't have the equipment afaik for a solder fix, I wouldn't know where to begin there tbh.

Advertisement