Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone watch TG4?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

I love this station, they show great programmes like One Tree Hill, Gossip girl (which I thought RTE would have shown) Samantha Who, Cold Case, The Hills, and Pimp my ride, not enough people watch this station I reckon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

ya they do have some good programmes, id watch it. some good films midweek sometimes and the old westerns on a friday night! mobs i mherica(spelled wrong) was brilliant last year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah they did show some great shows, OZ, The Wire, Curb etc. Hopefully they'll get a good quality import from the US soon because atm they've no good shows.

And Southpark in Irish. Why?! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wouldn't be a fan of any of the shows listed, but I have come across some decent stuff on it every so often - well worth a check and much more worthwhile than a lot of the satellite channels...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

TG4 is by far the best TV station in this country.
    Great imports - only station in Ireland and UK that shows Survivor.
    As mentioned - Oz, The Wire, The OC, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl etc.
    And also the homemade stuff is awesome - Ros na Run, Seacht, Aifric, Paisean Faisean etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Some good films on there from time to time ...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ros na Run and Aifric are quality shows!
    Haven't realy watched Underdogs but it seems to be a good idea and it's get loads of coverage in the papers and radio.

And they historical documentaries with Irish narrators. Lots of good ones on many different topics
    I hadn't realized they imported so many American shows before this thread, seems they've a wide choice.

Don't forget the many GAA matches that wouldn't be high profile enough for RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

They definitely seem to have the more creative shows. I watch it regularly. The docmentaries are more varied than RTÉ. wouldnt be to into the American imports but its a nice mix for everyone which is good.

South Park as Gaeilge is funnier. Paiseann Faiseann is good aswell. Would they ever do a new Irish learning programme? Like Turas Teanga?

According to the two opinion Poll Threads, TG4 is the most Popular/Favourite TV Station in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

scannal is good - not sure if its rte2 or tg4

I'm watching TG4 tonight, just to get a flavour of it .............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

It's certainly one of the more credible channels on TV atm. Some good homegrown docs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Did anyone watch ferim factor last week it's on again tomorrow 9.30. Your wan from Cork is a bit of a character. One of the judges a dairy farmer from Cork is a bollix, a know it all. Last week the judges got stuck in the Cork wan for kicking the sheep and made a big deal out of it. She didn't actually kick the sheep she only nudged the sheep back with her leg. When she was talking on camera after about what the judges said she was livid and said I never harmed an animal in my life and as long as I have a breath in me I never will. She will be giving out about the judges again tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Best Tv station pound for pound methinks.
    Good movies,good docs,The Wire=unbelievably good,other good imports too.Homegrown shows are great,and the Weathergirls.
    Go híontach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did anyone watch ferim factor last week it's on again tomorrow 9.30. Your wan from Cork is a bit of a character. One of the judges a dairy farmer from Cork is a bollix, a know it all. Last week the judges got stuck in the Cork wan for kicking the sheep and made a big deal out of it. She didn't actually kick the sheep she only nudged the sheep back with her leg. When she was talking on camera after about what the judges said she was livid and said I never harmed an animal in my life and as long as I have a breath in me I never will. She will be giving out about the judges again tomorrow night.

It was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages. I had a right laugh.
    Definitely worthwhile watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

and the Weathergirls.
    Go híontach :D

+1

and the Newsreader babes they have.

Where do they get all these smokin' hot chicks from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Feirm Factor -absolutely priceless.

Love Ros Na Run. Nice chicks in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Yes I watch TG4. It is great for Irish documentaries and some movies and american programming. But what I think is funny is that some american programmes are dubbed into Irish! It looks odd when having seen them in English. Some of my friends think South Park in Irish is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I actually watch this station alot, I dont really watch RTE1, they do show some great programmes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarah113

ahh guys its all about seacht nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tg4 is a great station but anyone who says Aifric is any good cannot be more wrong. It's not good, it's deriviative shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

lovinit wrote: »
    I love this station, they show great programmes like One Tree Hill, Gossip girl (which I thought RTE would have shown) Samantha Who, Cold Case, The Hills, and Pimp my ride, not enough people watch this station I reckon
    Totally agree.

Their recent documentary series on the presidents of Ireland was one of the best I've seen.

The really punch above their weight considering their shoestring budget.

I also think that their being based in Galway and not in the 'roysh' D4 media triangle helps a lot to define their sense of mission.

Considering the fat bloatware that is RTE, we all should really get behind TG4 a lot more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

+1

And I like the way the show a lot of stuff that doesn't come from UK/US/OZ/NZ

Only caught half of that Danish detective series , plenty of good drama on the continent available to them.

for no reason
    270109a.jpglait3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

hahahah traolach what a charachter he is. seriously i havent laughed at an american/british kids tv show for ages but aifric always gets me a laugh.

ros na run-epic show-taidgh what is he on?

love the way they show other european shows.

TG4 FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

Totally agree.

Their recent documentary series on the presidents of Ireland was one of the best I've seen.

I also think that their being based in Galway and not in the 'roysh' D4 media triangle helps a lot to define their sense of mission.

Considering the fat bloatware that is RTE, we all should really get behind TG4 a lot more.

I agree, some of their output is very good and the fact that it is located outside Dublin is great IMO. I used to watch Ros Na Run, haven't seen it in ages but it was always very good, extremely well acted and a hell of a lot better than Fair City. RTE has always given off the impression that people were hired on the basis of who they knew in Montrose rather than talent.

There is some incredibly bad stuff on TG4 too lets not forget, some of their game shows/talent shows/kids programmes are very poor. And not an awful lot of hours of the aforementioned documentaries as Gaeilge are actually produced every year.

I do wonder though, for all the actual Irish language output they have, is it worth the Government pumping millions into it every year, and would the likes of Ros Na Run etc actually get more of an audience if it was on RTE and hence promote the language more.

Not sure if would work but would it be possible to allow TG4 to keep producing their Irish language output but to let the station itself cease and all programmes to be shown on RTE.

Advertisement