Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axe-wielding Dwarf?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi. Used to play this arcade game back in the day. It was a platform game and IIRC the main characters weapon was an axe on a chain that he would fling forward and then it would fly back to him. At the end of every level there was a dragon to defeat. I think there were different levels of armour that you could buy also (bronze, gold etc).
    Apologies for the poor recollection but if it rings a bell with anyone I'd appreciate it if you could give me the name.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Golden Axe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

KTRIC wrote: »
    Golden Axe ??

Nice one KTRIC. Can't believe I couldn't remember the name.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I loved golden axe:(

Actually it looks like my memory has merged two games into one. I definitely remember playing Golden Axe but there was another game where the weapon shot forward from the character. It was 2d only unlike Golden Axe.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

RMDrive wrote: »
    Nice one KTRIC. Can't believe I couldn't remember the name.
    Cheers.

No probs. My favourite game of the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Actually it looks like my memory has merged two games into one. I definitely remember playing Golden Axe but there was another game where the weapon shot forward from the character. It was 2d only unlike Golden Axe.
    Any ideas?

Lots of arcade games like that allowed you to throw knives, including Streets of Rage and Double Dragon (iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Any ideas?

Sounds Like Rygar???

2280_1.png

Not Rygar I'm afraid, nor Streets of Rage or Double Dragon. I'm less and less confident in my memory now. Would there be a site that I could browse through that might have it listed???

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

You could try doing a search on Wikipedia it lists a lot of the games avaliable for different consoles! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Are you sure it was a dwarf?

Could be a game called Black Tiger from Capcom going by your descriotion of a chain weapon. Check out www.klov.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bah... I know I know it. Pretty sure I wasted plenty of 10ps as a yoof.

You could upgrade your weapon and it was a platformer, fantasy based and there used to be flappy bats and **** to kill. Gawd it's on the tip of my brain :(

EDIT I'm thinking Back Tiger alright Logie although I dont remember the game being as pretty as the screenshots I can find of it. BT has to be what the OP is thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

DEfinetly black tiger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Black Tiger, now that was good, GoldenAxe though, hated it, never understood the attraction at all

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

Golden Axe 3 was better. It was one of the easier games in the arcade, most people could finish it with one credit.

Black Tiger it is!!! Nice one folks. Many's a 10p I threw into that game. You would think I would remember the name huh!

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

He's still got it... :D Black Tiger is a 80's classic and was in quite a few arcades in Ireland well into the 90's. Capcom released some excellent arcades in the late 80's. Bionic Commando, Forgotten Worlds and Strider. I won't mention the original Street Fighter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I was going to say Castlevania :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't heard of thsi, I'll have to give it a go. Love the Capcom CPS 1 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

My God man! How can you not remember Golden Axe! :p I used to play it every frday after school in my child-minder's house with her son (who was spoilt rotten). He used to start crying if I didn't let him get on one of those fire-breathing dragon creatures. I always had to give him lee-way in the game because he was **** and I was good.

I used to let him beat me at Street Fighter II too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Any ideas?

sounds like ghosts'n'goblins or ghouls'n'ghosts. he wasnt a dwarf though, he was just very small.

gg1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement