If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic website: Differences between standard TVs & Irish TVs

Options
  • 20-01-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been looking to upgrade my awful 4 yr old Hyundai 42" plasma for a bit now and finally settled on either the Panny 42" PZ80 or 46" PZ85.

But these models seem to be UK specific because on Panasonic's website there is a section for Irish Plasma's & LCDs - the models no's for which bear no resemblance to any I've seen elsewhere on the web.

What I'm basically asking is whats the difference between these Irish models and the more common ones that I've actually read reviews for. If I buy the PZ80 or PZ85 from Northern Ireland, am I going to have incompatabilities with certain feature here in the South (Eg. Digital tuner or MPEG4)?:confused:

(Plus I won't go into the price differences here!!!)

I'm wary of spending money on these Irish models when there are so few indepth reviews online but I don't want an incompatable TV either.

My current input sources are:
    SD sky - might upgrade to HD in the future.(scart)
    Bluray via PS3 (currently component - will be HDMI in new TV)

Thanks in advance,
    A confused HD Newbie & first time poster on Boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

generally UK tvs have UHF only tuner and none bar maybe the z81 series have mpeg4 tuners so unless you are in a uhf only area you won't pick up analog terrestrial however that doesn't seem to worry you with sky.
    As such, if you have sky you don't need a tuner and can always add a STB on afterwards.
    Maybe the z81 series, some folks in Dub have reported it working with dtt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Quite a few higher-end TV's have the MPEG4 digital tuner and UHF/VHF, whether you buy it north or south. I know for certain that the W-series Sony's do, as well as the higher end Samsungs.

I think I read on here that Panasonic are one of the brands that do not have this (or maybe its just certain TV's in the Panasonic range).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

eyesore wrote: »
    I've been looking to upgrade my awful 4 yr old Hyundai 42" plasma for a bit now and finally settled on either the Panny 42" PZ80 or 46" PZ85.

But these models seem to be UK specific because on Panasonic's website there is a section for Irish Plasma's & LCDs - the models no's for which bear no resemblance to any I've seen elsewhere on the web.

What I'm basically asking is whats the difference between these Irish models and the more common ones that I've actually read reviews for. If I buy the PZ80 or PZ85 from Northern Ireland, am I going to have incompatabilities with certain feature here in the South (Eg. Digital tuner or MPEG4)?:confused:

(Plus I won't go into the price differences here!!!)

I'm wary of spending money on these Irish models when there are so few indepth reviews online but I don't want an incompatable TV either.

My current input sources are:
    SD sky - might upgrade to HD in the future.(scart)
    Bluray via PS3 (currently component - will be HDMI in new TV)

Thanks in advance,
    A confused HD Newbie & first time poster on Boards.ie

Looking at your sources it doesn't matter about the tuner as you will be using sky. Don't get ripped off over a tuner issue, most people will need to buy a separate box anyway when digital goes 'live'.
    Buy with confidence and save your pennies by buying from RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eyesore

Cheers guy's - thanks for the fast responses. Looks like I don't have much to worry about.

I'll check out the z81 series, Driver - thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.