Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Question

Options
  • 20-01-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Its my first time in the Legal forum but Ive been on Boards for awhile. Ive read the charter ao Im not looking for legal advice just some tips etc.

My girlfriend is Chinese and she has been here 6 years on a student visa. She has finnished her degree and her student visa is up in May. Understandably after 6 years she wants to stay here as her friends and me :P are here.

What are her options now? Ive heard its next to impossible to get a working visa.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

She can apply for residency on the basis of a de facto relationship but you'll have to have really extensive proof of your relationship. If you're not living together it might be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Immigrant Council of Ireland - www.immigrantcouncil.ie.

Give that a bash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    She can apply for residency on the basis of a de facto relationship but you'll have to have really extensive proof of your relationship. If you're not living together it might be a problem.

A friend of mine tried this, she was living in NZ with her boyfriend of 2 years when her visa expired so they went to immigration. They broughts pictures of them together, bank statements etc and NZ let her stay.

They moved back her last year and had to apply for a visa and appeal the rejection 3 times. I wrote a letter to immigration on their behalf also.

Man its goign to be tough but keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Dandeloin can you expand more on what youve said maybe even a link!

You can apply for citizenship if your here more than 5 years and shes here 6. But it does nt count if that 6 years was on a student visa! Shes currently on a graduate work permit but that only lasts 6 months.

Thanks for your time please keep the tips coming if you have any.

• Advertisement

No link, I don't know if it's a formal policy but in my office we had to contact the Immigration Service on behalf of someone in the same situation and that's what they told us. The Immigrant Council (see above) should be able to advise you on the full list of requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lordhawhaw

she can get green card, she needs to be on list of approved grads/ professions, get employed earning min 27 k and have a employer sponsor herOr you can get down on one knee...............

lordhawhaw wrote: »
    she can get green card, she needs to be on list of approved grads/ professions, get employed earning min 27 k and have a employer sponsor herOr you can get down on one knee...............

At 27K she's not even eligible for an ordinary work permit far less a so-called "green card" (a misnomer, they're nothing like the green card as we understand it). She'll need to either earn over 60K, or if in a very limited number of professions (check the DETE website) she may be eligible at 30K.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

yeah the green card thing is way more difficult than it seems.

Advertisement