Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points of law

Options
  • 20-01-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Firstly I'm not looking for legal advice. I already have a solicitor who isn't back until next week but thought I'd try here.

Story is I was caught with blow. 'Possession, cannabis resin' on the summons and I'm due to appear in court in the next month. I know of someone who was caught with small amounts of coke, ecstacy and cannabis at Electric Picnic and wasn't convicted. Instead he was given a fine. Factors as I see it were the judge, the small amounts and also the fact this guy said he had come back from abroad (Oz) to go to court and would be returning there soon.

I've heard the judge at Naas where I'm going isn't lenient at all and takes a dim view of public order offences and similar cases. I've never been in trouble before, am in my late twenties, in a decent job BUT plan to go to the US and New Zealand/Oz this year. Any conviction would f*ck up any travel plans but also possibly my job for me.

Is there not a standard ruling for these offences? Should there be? If I am convicted then depending on the cost I'll have to appeal. Does anyone know of anyone who has appealed a similar case? What were their experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You say you're not looking for legal advice, but you clearly are. Your solicitor can answer these questions when he gets back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement