Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irregular bowels movements

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if the following is normal or can it be explained?
    Fot the most part about 75% of the time, when i have do to a number 2, it's no problem at all , the stool is grand , no discomfort or anything and it's over in a 30 seconds.
    But for the other 25% of the time and this is usually happen for a few days or a week, the bowel movement is different and very uncomfortable, the stool is mostly soft and it's usually takes 6-8 mins for the whole thing to pass. As i mentioned this last for a few days at a time and things are back to normal. I don't know whether i should be worried about this. I'm a very healthy person, i eat a balanced diet and am fit, go to the gym and do regular exercise and i'm 32 yrs old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

This may come across as a silly question, but do these uncomfortable bowel movements occur at specific times during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do u suffer from a itchy back passage, is there any sign of blood on the toilet tissue when u wipe yourself??

if so it could be Piles/hemorrhoids

but more than likely its irritable bowel syndrome, which is more emotionally based than physical....are u stressed, worried??..negative emotions can have an effect on your digestive system

i had the same systoms a few years back....so i read in a health mag to eat shredded wheat and drink lots of water and it did the trick

but remember for every health issue you got to...consult your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

went to the doctor and she advised me it might be irritable bowel syndrome and took some blood to sent for testing, she also suggested cutting out wheat as i eat a lot of that.

but to answer your questions, no there is no sign of blood and it doesn't happen at specific times during the week, thanks for helping by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Is there any pain? I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a few years ago and almost died because of it, according to my now gastroenterologist. I had symptoms like you first but I never mentioned them to anyone. they gradually got worse and I was virtually incapacitated due to how bad my colon had become. So, it's good that you went to your doctor - Well done dude.

Kevin

I had to go to hospital cos of it. Although my stomach problems were down to worrying. It has been a while, but im getting better, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Stay away completely from Milk and bread for a month, if you see a big difference (and I bet you will), problem solved

Most people are not able to tolerate one or both

That's hilarious you mention that...

I just found out I'm intolerent to Yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

alibabba wrote: »
    Stay away completely from Milk and bread for a month, if you see a big difference (and I bet you will), problem solved

Really ?

Yes

we over-use milk and bread (white bread especially) in our diets,
    and the one place to 'object' to this overuse is the bowel. It slows down/shuts down when you take these over the course of a week.
    Its amazinf the difference in a bowel movement when off milk and bread for a week or so. Call it Total Clearout !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yes

we over-use milk and bread (white bread especially) in our diets,
    and the one place to 'object' to this overuse is the bowel. It slows down/shuts down when you take these over the course of a week.
    Its amazinf the difference in a bowel movement when off milk and bread for a week or so. Call it Total Clearout !

Eh, I have milk and bread every day and I can assure you there is no sign of irregular bowel movements here. :cool:

• Advertisement

I did say MOST and not ALL
    Good for you all the same.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I did say MOST and not ALL

Can you provide a reputable link to a peer-reviewed scientific paper to confirm this.

There is lots of speculation over the numbers of people intolerant of dairy and wheat products. Some sensationalist websites would have you believe that 75% of people cannot tolerate or are sensitive to dairy foods but provide very weak so-called evidence to support it. I'm very interested in finding a reputable source for these claims so if you have one, share it :)

I hope I dont sound arrogant, but I dont need a scientific paper to prove that I have a problem with milk n bread. People get too bogged down with these IMO.

From my own expierence, and also from what I am seeing with my three kids at home .... When I digest milk and bread, my bowel shuts down. I go off these and my bowel returns to super normal. Same with my kids. Those are facts, plain n simple.

Now if its a question of what percentage of the public are intolerant to wheat and dairy, thats another discussion.

my suggestion was geared towards anyone that has a problem with their bowel should always look first at intolerance to dairy/milk.

But if you do want a paper to browse, the John Hopkins Gastro website is always my first and last port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I hope I dont sound arrogant, but I dont need a scientific paper to prove that I have a problem with milk n bread.
    I wasn't talking about you, honestly, with some people it's 'me, me, me' all the time :D:D
    People get too bogged down with these IMO.
    I'm a PhD qualified scientist, I like to read the science because I can then tell if a study is well conducted or full of ****. I don't trust some unqualified journalist or biased reporter to interpret data for me ;)
    From my own expierence, and also from what I am seeing with my three kids at home .... When I digest milk and bread, my bowel shuts down. I go off these and my bowel returns to super normal. Same with my kids. Those are facts, plain n simple.
    Those are genetics, plain and simple, you've passed your intolerance genes to your kids, poor them :(
    Now if its a question of what percentage of the public are intolerant to wheat and dairy, thats another discussion.
    ...and that's what I asked, if you know of any proper, decent scientific studies, please link me to them. It seems as if you don't though so my query is probably void. If anyone else has some good links to hand that would be cool.
    my suggestion was geared towards anyone that has a problem with their bowel should always look first at intolerance to dairy/milk.
    Absolutely, there's never any harm in reducing intake of certain foods. However, the note of caution is that even if symptoms ease when you remove a certain foodstuff from the diet, the foodstuff may not have been the cause of the problem. There may still be a problem there but the symptoms calm down once you stop eating the food.
    But if you do want a paper to browse, the John Hopkins Gastro website is always my first and last port of call.
    Try PubMed if you are interested in Scientific papers, if not, that's cool, most people find them quite boring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi op here. I gave up wheat under advisement of my GP. and that was 4 weeks ago. haven't had any IBS since then, just thought others might like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Most people have allergies of some kind are another. Many are extremely mild reactions. some manifest as rashes, others in other ways. But your digestive system is very sensitive.

There is a theory that some types of irritable bowel syndrome are caused by food allergies or intolerances. Not all have to be milk or wheat. I know someone who can't eat pork products because of the effect on stomach and bowels.

Advertisement