Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does private car insurance cover passengers?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

I am looking to purchase comprehensive car insurance. I am a little confused over how much cover I have in the event of an accident with respect to passengers.

On one insurance policy, in its comprehensive insurance benefits section it says it will cover your passengers medical expenses upto €1000 others only cover upto €150.
    Is your passenger not a third party?...and as such if they decide to sue you/your insurance company for their costs resulting from a car accident should you not be fully covered to meet all of their costs including all medical bills?

This is my first time looking for car insurance so question may be a little naive. But I would appreciate if someone could provide some clarity on this for me. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your passenger is a third party, they're fully covered by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yeah they are a 3rd party. Even if you get the minimum statutory cover, which is 3rd party, they are still fully covered for any injuries in the event of an accident. I'd be interested to know what those other proposed benefits are about, the 150 Euro for passengers, etc??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm guessing it's some kind of travel insurance add-on?

Advertisement