Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Vs Chorus

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Which is better?
    Im thinking of getting rid of Chorus as Sky have way is cheaper and it I want Sky+ Box. The Sky+ Box is half price at the moment and so is multi room for a year (Which you can stop when it gets to full price and still watch free to air channels)

Note: Chorus digi-box not available in my area.

So any one know any other information?
    Which did you find better? Why?
    Ect.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I have both cause I use NTL for my broadband. However, I'm paying €74 a month for that privilge...I wonder if i should be changing something there.

Sky is great by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sky is good but it seems after a while the mount attachting the Dish to the roof becomes loose and in the stormy weather we've had recently and it becomes unwatchable

There used to be quite a few issues with the plus boxes but i think they're resolved now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Based on what is available in your area the best would be to go to www.uchoose.ie and compare products so you can make up your own mind depending on what stations/options are "must have" for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Sky is good but it seems after a while the mount attachting the Dish to the roof becomes loose and in the stormy weather we've had recently and it becomes unwatchable

In your case perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There used to be quite a few issues with the plus boxes but i think they're resolved now

Bad install. Can equally happen with MMDS dish.

No free option with Chorus.
    Sky= Pay TV with free install and you own equipment and can cancel after a year and still have all the main UK channels free. The Sky+ does not record when out of subscription, but you can swap in a Freeview/Sat4free recording box on the coax and record free channels, or add it as a 2nd receiver as the Sky Dish can feed two receivers.
    Free option for Satellite, but higher install cost unless DIY.
    Wide variety of boxes for Satellite.
    Higher Quality, HD and more flexible recording options on Satellite.

You can have BB from Chorus and either free Satellite or Sky PayTV as a good combo solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Thanks Rich,
    Chorus is in our attic. Think they might put the dish in there for Sky?
    Maybe its the safest.

A dish in an attic wont work. It will need line of sight for the satellite.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A dish in an attic wont work. It will need line of sight for the satellite.
    I don't know how chorus works. Its in there.

Sky will not work if your dish is in the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Best getting a freesat box or equivalent.....have had Sky for 8 months and the amount of decent stuff that was on is gone down the tubes due to repeats...

Am giving it til the end of the minimum contract and if it doesn't improve I'll be quite happy to stop paying.....

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Best getting a freesat box or equivalent.....have had Sky for 8 months and the amount of decent stuff that was on is gone down the tubes due to repeats...

Am giving it til the end of the minimum contract and if it doesn't improve I'll be quite happy to stop paying.....

Oh, really but what about the channels that are not free to air?

padocon wrote: »
    Oh, really but what about the channels that are not free to air?

If they keep showing the number of repeats that they do at the mo, they'll be no loss.....

Mind you, there's one thing that'd bug me - the fact that Sky's stupid box doesn't let you hide unwanted or unavailable channels....and that would be worse without the Sky sub.

I'm dying to find a decent box that's compatible with the Sky Eye that will let me do this......free pints for anyone who can point me in that direction!

If they keep showing the number of repeats that they do at the mo, they'll be no loss.....

Mind you, there's one thing that'd bug me - the fact that Sky's stupid box doesn't let you hide unwanted or unavailable channels....and that would be worse without the Sky sub.

I'm dying to find a decent box that's compatible with the Sky Eye that will let me do this......free pints for anyone who can point me in that direction!

Chorus can do that but you have to pay or they take the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

People always ask me why do I pay more for SKy instead of the others.............I always tell them the picture quality is far superior.

The cost for me is secondary in this regard.

spongeman wrote: »
    People always ask me why do I pay more for SKy instead of the others.............I always tell them the picture quality is far superior.

The cost for me is secondary in this regard.

Yes I have been told the quality of sky is much better than Chorus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What channels are the repeats on?

Most of the channels on Chorus are also on Sky FYI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Can you use the RED Button with the new Chorus/UPC digital?? Or is it just plain and not really digital at all

dedon wrote: »
    Can you use the RED Button with the new Chorus/UPC digital?? Or is it just plain and not really digital at all

The red button has nothing to do with whether or not it's digital. Yes, it's a use of spare capacity on the digital signal, but not having it doesn't mean that you're not getting a digital signal.

barnicles wrote: »
    What channels are the repeats on?

Most of the channels on Chorus are also on Sky FYI!

What's the FYI about ? I know that....could be wrong, but I think the only difference is that Chorus include Setanta Ireland in the basic sub.

What I was saying is that paying Sky OR Chorus is becoming increasingly less worthwhile given the amount of repeats.....the free boxes are becoming increasingly appealing given that they give you at least some extra choice for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I cancelled my Sky in November. All the best channels except Irish ones are free and still works. I have it on a UK program guide.

• Advertisement

The red button has nothing to do with whether or not it's digital. Yes, it's a use of spare capacity on the digital signal, but not having it doesn't mean that you're not getting a digital signal.

So you can access the red button with the new Chorus digital??

dedon wrote: »
    So you can access the red button with the new Chorus digital??

Don't know if Chorus have an equivalent....like I said, it's a particular use of the spare capacity on digital - whether or not Chorus use it the same way as Sky do I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think chorus/ntl have anything like the sky interactive stuff.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think chorus/ntl have anything like the sky interactive stuff.

So its a poor product in my opinion. With Sky you can watch other games with the red button or watch other news etc. Sounds like a much better product to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd have no interest it myself.

But even if Sky didn't have the interactive red button, it would still be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭drdoon

Can I use my chorus dish with a free to air box? I have silvercrest free to air box with a chorus dish on the roof. I thought I could use it but don't seem to have any reception regardless of what direction dish is pointed in, strange. The coaxial cable is exactly the same, so there are no physical connection issues. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

drdoon wrote: »
    Can I use my chorus dish with a free to air box? I have silvercrest free to air box with a chorus dish on the roof. I thought I could use it but don't seem to have any reception regardless of what direction dish is pointed in, strange. The coaxial cable is exactly the same, so there are no physical connection issues. Anyone?

You need a satellite dish for this, chorus dish is totally different and won't pick up satellite signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭drdoon

thanks mossie, bat least i know now.

Advertisement