Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teacher

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Thinking of looking at the primary school teacher option. Can anyone tell me what the starting salary & benefits are? + Incremental increases with experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

there is a board over on education that helps you out with that info. One teh one hand you will hear half of them up on a cross about how much work they put in yada yada and then you have the other half posting about where they are going on holidays - they live in the real world i guess!
    Seriously its a good job that starts off on a good wages for a grad and builds up with the ability to earn outside for many teachers. But if you are going into it with €€ in mind it probably will drive you nuts. The salary for an accountant starts much lower initially but rises faster and you get to work with adults which for some people is a must. Would you take the risk of honours irish, then an undergrad and Dip in Pats or Mary I.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kiwikid wrote: »
    there is a board over on education that helps you out with that info. One teh one hand you will hear half of them up on a cross about how much work they put in yada yada and then you have the other half posting about where they are going on holidays - they live in the real world i guess!

You are on thin ice, kiwikid.

I will let the Teachers here deal with your comments in the above post, but I will say it one more time - lose the generalisations and stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

hands up....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

vinnyryan wrote: »
    Thinking of looking at the primary school teacher option. Can anyone tell me what the starting salary & benefits are? + Incremental increases with experience?

Thanks

There's a sticky at the beginning of Teaching and Lecturing called Teachers Salary Scale that has a link to the INTO website in it. Seems to be a well laid out website that should answer your questions.

Regarding incremental increases I'm assuming you move up one point with each year of service. There are a number of ways you can move further up the incremental scale such as having worked as a third level lecturer.

I'm not a primary teacher so perhaps some of the others may be able to give you better help regarding the relevant details.

However, just to stick my two cents in, teaching can be (we all have our days :rolleyes:) an incredibly rewarding experience so if you're thinking about heading down this road investigate all aspects of it. Getting into a school to do some sub work would be worthwhile although perhaps not that easy at the moment!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227449
    This is the link to follow for the information you want. It takes 23-25 years to reach the top of the payscale for primary teachers, depending on your qualification, as this will affect the point of the scale that you start on.

I'm a bit confused about the benefits you're asking about? You can leave school at closing time if you want but most of us either stay on for a while, or do a few hours work at home. The holidays are great, but do be prepared to put in some work while you're technically on holiday - if any cleaning or moving etc has to be done in the school, everyone usually goes in for a while. You'll also have a lot of paperwork to do in terms of long term schemes, fortnightly schemes etc, which have to be handed in to the principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

Bless you all for your responses.

So can I just check if I have an unrelated Primary finance degree (Hons) + a Masters in finance (Pass) and achieve an honours H.Dip. I would earn a starting salary of (given the the two links below); €5,177 + €5,177 + €1,301 + Basic €32,599 = €44,254

http://www.into.ie/ROI/WorkingConditions/Salaries/AcademicandOtherAllowances/
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/WorkingConditions/Salaries/CommonBasicScale/

If I could please ask one last question - if I have the above qualifications whats the best way and where to qualify?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can claim EITHER the allowance for a primary degree or the master's - not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Would you not think of secondary school. I would have thought the Finance degree would be easy to convert to Commerce degree and hence to teaching commerce stream subjects in Second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If I could please ask one last question - if I have the above qualifications whats the best way and where to qualify?

Well you could do the postgrad in Mary I which takes 18 months. I don't know if there is one in St. Pat's or not... maybe one of the primary teachers here could confirm? Or you could do the Hibernia course. It's online/distance learning so it might suit you better if you have to fit it in around work.You still have to do teaching practice obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Well you could do the postgrad in Mary I which takes 18 months. I don't know if there is one in St. Pat's or not... maybe one of the primary teachers here could confirm? Or you could do the Hibernia course. It's online/distance learning so it might suit you better if you have to fit it in around work.You still have to do teaching practice obviously.

Yes, there is a postgrad in St. Pat's, Coláiste Mhuire Marino, and Froebel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinnyryan

Thanks everyone, this has been a big help to me.

In times where this area appears to be facing cutbacks is there a particular course that is more highly ranked that the others?

What are course costs and length of times?

In terms of financial support is there any assistance at all I could claim?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Thanks everyone, this has been a big help to me.

In times where this area appears to be facing cutbacks is there a particular course that is more highly ranked that the others?

What are course costs and length of times?

In terms of financial support is there any assistance at all I could claim?

Thanks again

If you go down the Hibernia route you'll be entitled to no assistance from the state, seeing as Hibernia is a privately-run business.

With any of the other postgrads, you might be entitled to a grant, if you qualify for one of course!

In terms of a course ranked higher than another, everyone here will have an opinion (I personally recommend Marino) but basically all the courses are the same.

Advertisement