Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold internal walls

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Apologies if this is the wrong place for the question or if I dont get the building terms right.
    Im in a new build house, well a year old, and I've noticed that the internal walls are cold.
    From when the house was being built they are wall, aeroboard, wall, plasterboard, plastered.
    Now you can see whay I apologies for the building terms.

But I noticed that they are cold to touch, now I dont mean cold like when you put your hand on a table or anything. Really cold.
    Should they be cold if they are built this way.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

HighWire wrote: »
    But I noticed that they are cold to touch, now I dont mean cold like when you put your hand on a table or anything. Really cold..

Is there condensation on the walls inside?
    Is there mould at the ceiling wall joints in any room corners?
    What kind of heating system do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Hi there, no there is nothing like that at all.
    Its just normal radiators which are oil powered.
    I know its hard to say exactly what could be wrong with more details.
    The lack of building knowledge doesnt help sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I doubt you have a problem. The wall will take along time to raise even the smallest amount in temperature. If they were especially cold, you would have the problems mentioned in post above.

Im not a believer in partial fill cavity insulation. I think alot of the benefit is lost due to draft / air movement in the cavity due to the difficulty in fixing the insulation perfectly tight against the inner leaf.
    I believe if the equivalent insulation is fixed to inside of wall, much more value will be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

HighWire wrote: »
    ....no there is nothing like that at all..
    Then you shouldn't really have a problem. The inside walls do act like a storege heater but it takes a long time to heat up to the required temp, and with the recent cold snap this would be even more evident. Then the cavity mightn't be sealed properly leadin........;) Your'e probably fine, just keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on it.
    Thought about something when you said about the storage heat thing.
    Could the walls be cold cause the room isnt actually heating up properly?The room has T&G flooring and noticed that the skirting is a little raised above the floor, about 5mm - 10mm. The radiator has nothing on the back either, you know the aluminium sheet type thing that sits down the back.
    So could it be heating up but drafts are stopping the room from
    staying warm, so the walls are cold?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement