Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a H dIP?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a degree in Commerce with Irish
    If i wanted to teach either Irish or Accounting/Economics/Business, could I do it at Junior Cert level? Or do i need a H Dip?

Could i teach any of the following at Junior Cert Level as a sub teacher? Or do i need a H Dip?

If i wanted to teach at primary level, do i need a H Dip?

If i wanted to teach as a sub teacher at primary level, do i need a H Dip?
    In other words, what can I teach right now without getting a H Dip?
    Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Nick Behan wrote: »
    If i wanted to teach either Irish or Accounting/Economics/Business, could I do it at Junior Cert level? Or do i need a H Dip?

Could i teach any of the following at Junior Cert Level as a sub teacher? Or do i need a H Dip?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Bascially you can do primary school subbing without a h dip.

Moved from LC Forum (before Tom Dunne reports it!) - methinks it'll be a bit more suited here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

You must be a holder of a H.Dip in Education to teach at primary or second level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You can sub without a H.Dip, for sure. Also you can teach permanently without a Dip if you have a Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You can sub without a H.Dip, for sure. Also you can teach permanently without a Dip if you have a Masters.

Oh, really? Did not know that. At second level or primary level or both? Does the masters have to be in the subject that one is teaching? How common is it to end up doing that, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

Also you can teach permanently without a Dip if you have a Masters.

Is it possible to see this confirmed in the regulations somewhere?

If this is true there are thousands of Master's holders wasting a lot of money doing the H Dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was told that by a teacher, don't know where to look to confirm. Humphries there is an important difference between the two-if you don't do the H.Dip you don't get the yearly bonus that H.Dip teachers get. So they aren't wasting thousands in the long run. All this subject to confirmation of course, which I'm afraid I cannot provide at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've never heard of this. A person with a masters still doesn't have any teacher training qualifications and I imagine won't be registered by the teaching council.

I was told that by a teacher, don't know where to look to confirm. Humphries there is an important difference between the two-if you don't do the H.Dip you don't get the yearly bonus that H.Dip teachers get. So they aren't wasting thousands in the long run. All this subject to confirmation of course, which I'm afraid I cannot provide at the minute.

Bloody hell, don't call it a bonus, someone will be ringing the radio stations telling them to take away the teacher's bonuses next! :eek: There is an incremental payscale and then teachers get an allowance for their teaching qualifications (honours or pass hdip) and a degree allowance (hon/pass degree, hons/pass masters or PhD, any one of the three)

From the teaching council website

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=202&NID=160#2._Qualification
    2. Qualification requirements for Post-Primary teachers

A post-primary teacher in Ireland (Republic of) must hold a suitable degree and a suitable teacher-education qualification.
    A suitable degree is a degree or equivalent award from a State recognised university or similar third level college which is adequate to enable the holder to teach to the highest level (in the case of the majority of subjects, this is Leaving Certificate, higher level) at least one subject from the post-primary schools curriculum [see list of post-primary teaching subjects at appendix 1 below]. The duration of such a degree programme must be at least three years of full-time study or equivalent.

A suitable teacher-education qualification is a qualification from a State recognised university or similar third level college directed towards the 12-18 age range (First year to Sixth year). The duration of such a programme must be at least one year of full-time study or equivalent.

The most common teacher-training qualification in this country is the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (previously the Higher Diploma in Education) and is awarded on successful completion of a one–year full-time course.

Nick Behan wrote: »

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

To answer your question, you don't have to be qualified to be a sub... but it helps. The general feeling though is that there won't be much teaching work out there next year and with pupil teacher ratios going up, hours and jobs will be cut in schools all over the country, so any teachers that lose their jobs will also be looking for work, not to mind the hdip students that will be graduating. By all means look for subbing work, just don't be too surprised if there isn't that much of it out there.

If someone is doing the H Dip purely for financial purposes then they would have to be seriously prepared to play the long game. The annual allowance is only about €700 after tax so it would take someone ten years or so to make up the cost of doing the H Dip course, and that is not to even consider the earning potential for that year which they give up by attending college.

If one was to calculate the true cost of the course on the basis of the possibility of being otherwise gainfully employed for the entire year earning something in the high 30Ks (which with a Masters' they would) then someone would earn as much in that one year as in over 30 years with the extra H Dip allowance.

If someone can teach with a Masters and have no need to do the H Dip other than for a few bob, then there seems to me to be scant justification at all for doing it, and it seems amazing that the courses are over-subscribed.

Of course as we know the reason people do the H Dip is that it is required for teaching and people cannot register as teachers without the H Dip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

really!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No! This is rubbish. You need a H.Dip if you want a hope of a permanent job.

People with a masters end up teaching alright, but they're not qualified. What use is an in-depth knowledge of quantum physics if you don't know how to teach the Leaving Cert syllabus?? The H.Dip is the required recognised teaching qualification in Ireland.

You get paid more if you have a masters but it isn't a substitute for the Dip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Without being to come across badly can we stick to facts here? It's misleading and unfair otherwise.

If someone can teach with a Masters and have no need to do the H Dip other than for a few bob, then there seems to me to be scant justification at all for doing it, and it seems amazing that the courses are over-subscribed.

Of course as we know the reason people do the H Dip is that it is required for teaching and people cannot register as teachers without the H Dip. A Masters is the thing that people could possibly justify doing for financial benefit as the allowance is five times that of the H Dip - presumably because the H Dip is essentially compulsory and therefore needs little incentivisation.

That's not really true. Teachers get a HDip allowance and a Degree/Masters/PhD allowance. The allowance for an pass masters is the same as that for the hons degree and the hons masters allowance is only 500-600 more than the hons degree allowance. A teacher is only allowed one of these allowances along with the HDip allowance.

Currently it's not worth my while (financially) shelling out for a masters to gain €500 extra a year before tax

A teacher has to have a degree and a hdip to register as a teacher so there is no real financial incentive to gain a masters over a degree.

That's not really true. Teachers get a HDip allowance and a Degree/Masters/PhD allowance. The allowance for an pass masters is the same as that for the hons degree and the hons masters allowance is only 500-600 more than the hons degree allowance. A teacher is only allowed one of these allowances along with the HDip allowance.

Currently it's not worth my while (financially) shelling out for a masters to gain €500 extra a year before tax

A teacher has to have a degree and a hdip to register as a teacher so there is no real financial incentive to gain a masters over a degree.

This is correct. I misread the material on the ASTI website. I will amend my original post now as there is enough misleading stuff being written down here by another poster.

Advertisement