Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midweek Footie

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

after just seeing the team sheets liverpool have to be value @ 8/13 get on!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I wish they would hurry up and score, I'm waiting for them for the last leg for a small priced sixfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I wish they would hurry up and score, I'm waiting for them for the last leg for a small priced sixfold.
    ur wish just came threw

sick 1 all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

thedini wrote: »
    bad advice son

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

higgo1888 wrote: »
    bad advice son
    how was it bad advice, 8/13 still represented value in my book. But thanks for your valuable results based thinking.(welcome to the forum:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

how was it bad advice, 8/13 still represented value in my book. But thanks for your valuable results based thinking.(welcome to the forum:rolleyes:)
    Come on dini let's be honest with ourselves here. It was a shite bet. If 8/13 was value in your book well then it must be the worst book in the world.

Everton had won all four of the previous away games while Liverpool had won just three times in their eight previous premier league games. It was always gonna be a tight match. 8/13 isn't what Pighead would be looking for with those stats. Get a new book thedini.

However you would have to say it was a game Liverpool needed to win it to regain Top Spot.
    MU must be 1/3 now after that match.

Pighead wrote: »
    Come on dini let's be honest with ourselves here. It was a shite bet. If 8/13 was value in your book well then it must be the worst book in the world.

Everton had won all four of the previous away games while Liverpool had won just three times in their eight previous premier league games. It was always gonna be a tight match. 8/13 isn't what Pighead would be looking for with those stats. Get a new book thedini.

I couldn't be bothered discussing this with somebody who clearly has a convaluted high opinion of oneself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I couldn't be bothered discussing this with somebody who clearly has a convaluted high opinion of oneself.:rolleyes:

:confused: You cant just make up words and if the word you were looking for is convoluted, then it makes no sense in this context ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bad advice son

read the forum rules. no aftertiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

However you would have to say it was a game Liverpool needed to win it to regain Top Spot.
    In fairness they "needed" to win against Stoke, Hull, West Ham and Fulham also in recent matches. "Needing to win a match" does not equal to "have a good chance of winning a match".

Translation: Pighead you fcuker, you're spot on but did you have to say it out loud and make me look like a ninny in front of my internet peers?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Infraction issued to higgo1888 for breaching charter rules. At least pighead is giving reasons for his disagreement with the bet, but I don't really think this forum is the place in general for discussing bets that went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll have to disagree 5tarpool, if you can't discuss bets that went wrong in this forum, where exactly can you?

I'd advocate a thread similar to the one in the horse racing forum, a sticky where you can gloat and whine to your hearts content. It would seem as good a solution as any.

Hmm, well as a casual (more than avid) reader of this forum, I thought pointing out the reasons a bet was bad AFTER it lost was not liked. I know there is a difference between just saying 'bad bet' and explaining why (hence the infraction above) but I thought both were frowned upon.

I'll PM the other mods and see what everyone thinks and get back to ye.

To be honest I think the situation arises where the OP usually posts up a bet and proclaims it to be a value bet or sure thing with little or no analysis why this is the case. Normally what happens is the thread is ignored both ways (if it loses, or the OP comes on the bask in the glorious adulation of the forum users, which usually isn't forthcoming!). But once in a while someone will have a pop at the bet, which is fair I think in the circumstances, given there was little insight given as to why it was a value bet.

Now to be fair Higgo1888 was very curt in that sense, Pigheads reply was a textbook answer as to why the bet was in effect a poor value bet and the OP should be willing to accept that. God knows I've had a few go belly up here, namely the Munster-Connacht match during the xmas.

As regards discussing bets that went awry or ones that came in, I think maybe a Gloats & Near Misses sticky like the one in the Racing forum might prove the answer.

cson wrote: »
    To be honest I think the situation arises where the OP usually posts up a bet and proclaims it to be a value bet or sure thing with little or no analysis why this is the case. Normally what happens is the thread is ignored both ways (if it loses, or the OP comes on the bask in the glorious adulation of the forum users, which usually isn't forthcoming!). But once in a while someone will have a pop at the bet, which is fair I think in the circumstances, given there was little insight given as to why it was a value bet.

Now to be fair Higgo1888 was very curt in that sense, Pigheads reply was a textbook answer as to why the bet was in effect a poor value bet and the OP should be willing to accept that. God knows I've had a few go belly up here, namely the Munster-Connacht match during the xmas.

As regards discussing bets that went awry or ones that came in, I think maybe a Gloats & Near Misses sticky like the one in the Racing forum might prove the answer.

No I shouldn't be willing to accept that, myself and Pighead have a difference of opinion as to the value on the match. I still believe that it was good value everton hadn't won there in 10 yrs, no strikers(of note) torres back, chance to regain top spot etc etc.

This is why. Its a well reasoned argument.
    Pighead wrote: »

You put forward the team sheets as a valid enough reason in your first post. If you'd also added what you've just said there the chances are we wouldn't be having this conversation. ;)

it was 7.39 and I was in a rush getting my bet on;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

5starpool wrote: »
    Hmm, well as a casual (more than avid) reader of this forum, I thought pointing out the reasons a bet was bad AFTER it lost was not liked. I know there is a difference between just saying 'bad bet' and explaining why (hence the infraction above) but I thought both were frowned upon.

I'll PM the other mods and see what everyone thinks and get back to ye.
    sorry if i broke boards rules but im new to this site, i would have stated bad bet before the match if i had of seen the post, simple reasons it was a bad bet look at liverpool's shocking home form and the pressure on them to regain top spot, and everton's away form is terrific.

sorry if i broke boards rules but im new to this site, i would have stated bad bet before the match if i had of seen the post, simple reasons it was a bad bet look at liverpool's shocking home form and the pressure on them to regain top spot, and everton's away form is terrific.

Best all round if you mention that in the post then, but glad to see you won't be making a habit of that particular type of post.

To all else, I can't say this enough, but please report posts if you feel they are blatant aftertiming or some other breach of charter or anything you think is out of line. On thread arguments or accusations do not aid readability or help in general.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Will Defoe start or play any part tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The draw at 5/2 tonight is a good bet in my book.
    Spurs have an awful amount of injuries and might struggle but Burnley have been going terrible recently and with a 4-1 score Spurs won't be too bothered but i don't think they will lose

Browney7 wrote: »
    The draw at 5/2 tonight is a good bet in my book.
    Spurs have an awful amount of injuries and might struggle but Burnley have been going terrible recently and with a 4-1 score Spurs won't be too bothered but i don't think they will lose
    draw half time burnley full time

Advertisement