Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoneline Broadband without going to Eircom for connection?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys,

Just got an Xbox 360 and want to put it online but I don't have broadband in the house at present (not counting 3 3g modem).

I seem to have a phoneline installed in the house (I got the number off it by calling 199000) but it's not connected at the moment.
    The thing is, I don't see the point in paying for a phone / broadband package if I can use VOIP with the broadband alone. Eircom only seems to offer the packages and there must be cheeper alternatives out there, but how do I go about getting the line connected?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

doc62 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just got an Xbox 360 and want to put it online but I don't have broadband in the house at present (not counting 3 3g modem).

I seem to have a phoneline installed in the house (I got the number off it by calling 199000) but it's not connected at the moment.
    The thing is, I don't see the point in paying for a phone / broadband package if I can use VOIP with the broadband alone. Eircom only seems to offer the packages and there must be cheeper alternatives out there, but how do I go about getting the line connected?

Any suggestions?

Eircom own the lines and only they can reactivate them, after which you can migrate to any other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doc62

So can i only pay eircom for the connection or do I have to enter a contract with them and then migrate at the end of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

According to this article http://www.moneyguideireland.com/free-landline-connection-with-eircom-till-jan-28th.html you can get free connection if you hurry - offer ends Jan 28th. I think you have to stay with eircom for 6 months.
    No one else can connect the phone - only Eircom. So you may as well get it for free now if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah, they're doing free connection/installation at the moment but I would imagine you're contracted to stay with them for a year.

Thought that was going to be the case. Didn't see it on their website but do eircom do broadband out of a package then or do I have to use the phone as well?
    Does anyone even use their house phone any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Yeah, they're doing free connection/installation at the moment but I would imagine you're contracted to stay with them for a year.

They mention 6 months in the terms and conditions -
    http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/DialUpPromoTandC_1008.pdf

Cheers guys, just looking at their site now, think i found my answer, the help was appreciated though.

Advertisement