Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU MMA CLUB

Options
  • 19-01-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey all

Just spreading the word on what we've got going on down here in DCU.
    We have settled and are now opening our doors to even more students regardless of college, affiliation, experience level..hell we've even got some lads from the surrounding schools.biggrin.gif So if your curious about this MMA stuff or want to get in some extra training or fitness work then come on down and give us a try. There will be a week of training devoted to revision of last semester training topics taking place in Feb so keep an eye out on the webpage listed below to find out the details.

History
    DCU MMA CLUB (officially known as the Kickboxing & Grappling Club) was started in september of 2008 and is just about to enter its 2nd semester in a few weeks time. The club was started as a way of introducing people to MMA as a sport and as a means of fitness and self defence. The committees goal is to help increase the popularity of MMA in Ireland and provide students with the relevant basic skills to enter into full time training facilities with the basic knowledge required to progress rapidly in both stand up, clinch and ground grappling. Thus far the club has proven to be a great success with over a 100 registered members and active classes averaging between 25-35.

Experience level
    In DCU MMA we have experience levels ranging from World Champion kickboxers and Grappling champions to complete beginners and juniors from the surrounding schools. The classes contain NSC competitors and thai boxers working together and trading knowledge and several coaches who are willing to take you aside and bring you through any technique you may be having trouble with/or missed, in a step by step nature.

What to expect in the coming months?
    Each Hour and a half long class contains an equal mix of stand up and ground work with fitness elements coming from pad work, grappling drills, rolling,sparring and circuit training. We mix up every session and you'll learn something new each class. The coming semester will feature

Here is a video of some of the class hitting mitts in the 4th week
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3qA2N6AO8

Here is an example of the class drilling Mount escapes
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kjomeZ...eature=related

Price?
    €4 registration
    Its only 3 euro per class or 5 euro for the whole week.

Check us out further for details such as training times etc at

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

All the best

Oisin
    DCU MMA COMMITTEE
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Two questions:

1) Will you accept alumni

2) Are there any college wimmins in it?

Answer the second question first.

Seriously if you're in DCU you should go there. I had some of the guys come visit my gym last week and they're obviously doing things the right way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Roper wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Will you accept alumni

2) Are there any college wimmins in it?

Answer the second question first.

Seriously if you're in DCU you should go there. I had some of the guys come visit my gym last week and they're obviously doing things the right way there.

2) YES

1)Having discussed this with the wimmins (who have the final say in all aspects of my life)here in DCU library, they have decided that yes, they do indeed accept alumni provided they are married or in a relationship, own their own gym and they mentioned something about 30 being the new twenty..or sexy..wasn't really listening.:D

Thanks for the kind words Roper.

Ok guys and girls.

Firstly for those thinking of joining us that have never trained with us before....come try us out for the first 2 weeks (2/3rd and 9/10th Feb). . If you have wondered is Mixed martial arts is for you?....well theres only one way to find out.

Just got the go ahead from DCU sports centre. Training recommences this monday the 2nd of Feb at 5.30pm in the big handball alley. The first class will be mostly rolling/pad work and we will be taking all questions on any techniques, combinations or anything else so if you've seen a technique during the break that you'd like to learn or have specific questions on any of the techniques we've covered already, let us know and we'll help you out.

The following week on monday and tuesdays class we will be running a revision course on all the techniques we have covered up to this point both in stand up fighting, clinch work and grappling.

Don't miss this.

We will be reteaching all the basics in these 2 classes so bring a pen and paper (not kidding) and write the techniques down. You will be amazed at how much you've actually learned so far and by looking over this piece of paper you'll freshen things in your mind and be more likely to remember them during sparring and rolling. Its a very useful tool.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask by either posting here on the thread or shooting me a PM.

All the bestwink.gif

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Hey Oisin,

I was looking at joining mma, Im a DCU student, I have 10 years kempo, and about a year of judo and taekwondo. Would I be outta my depth at this thing. Bare in mind i haven't sparred properly in about 4 years. Only thing is im away in NYC tuesday, should be back the following week , but sporting a double ligament strain on my left ankle.Really would want to do the refresher class. The whole thing sounds awesome fair play to you guys.

John

kanurocks wrote: »
    Hey Oisin,

I was looking at joining mma, Im a DCU student, I have 10 years kempo, and about a year of judo and taekwondo. Would I be outta my depth at this thing. Bare in mind i haven't sparred properly in about 4 years. Only thing is im away in NYC tuesday, should be back the following week , but sporting a double ligament strain on my left ankle.Really would want to do the refresher class. The whole thing sounds awesome fair play to you guys.

John

Hey John

This may put your mind at ease.... Your reading the post of someone with 15 years Kempo behind them..hell I was just teaching a class of juniors in the club were I started off at 6 years old tonight. Ironically I've also got a few years of GTI taekwondo under the belt so I know exactly were your coming from. :pac:

While the first week back is defo the type of class that would be great for a new trainee to watch as they'd get an idea of how deep the different skill sets go....the 2nd week is the real bang for your buck one. We're going to try and cover everything that we have done in the last semester in the space of 2 classes. There will be no rolling, we'll be taking limited questions..people will just be expected to listen..learn..write it down..practice..and move on....and then reproduce it over the coming weeks. Its gonna be intense..plus we are going to video most of the techniques for youtube so the class can watch them over again to really make them stick.

Just come on up to me at the start of your first class and say hi. I'm not difficult to find.

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

P.S sparring isn't mandatory at all on the feet as most are completely new to it...although it does go on. Rollin on the otherhand is. You won't pull off jack by just drilling against a non resistant opponent...plus were traing for intervarsitys.:D

• Advertisement

I Have a feeling Oisin, that we have fought, on many many occasions,

Let me guess, second name is Mc Cabe, your dad used to run jackson stops on Vernon avenue, and you teach in belgrove primary school with Stephen.

I have a picture of you me, Angela, and barry at a competition in the national basketball arena, the one where barry got disqualified??

Ring any bells??

John

Bloody Hell

Small world indeed john. Good to hear from you again. Hows that brother of yours keeping?

Well now your most definetely welcome to come join us :D. When I said I know were your coming from I didn't think it would be so literal.

Defo pop up to us the week your back for and we'll catch up and I'll take you through the basics.

Oisin

Baz is grand , Hes in DCU too, a year behind me in physics. I'm on Research now for 4 moths so i have time to burn.I'll defo head down when i get back. Hopefully the ankle is ready to take my weight again etc.

Im actually still dying to get my black belt in kempo as well. I was talking to Stephen about it last year, I popped in a day you were stuck somewhere (galway or one of them places) and he mentioned that everyone went modern. Or the other way around. So it kind of means I'd be starting from scratch. I kind of consider it a massive piece of unfinished business.

hows tricks with yourself, and also i hope you watched GSP steam role BJ last night. He creamed him!! The man is unbelievable.

john

kanurocks wrote: »
    Baz is grand , Hes in DCU too, a year behind me in physics. I'm on Research now for 4 moths so i have time to burn.I'll defo head down when i get back. Hopefully the ankle is ready to take my weight again etc.

Im actually still dying to get my black belt in kempo as well. I was talking to Stephen about it last year, I popped in a day you were stuck somewhere (galway or one of them places) and he mentioned that everyone went modern. Or the other way around. So it kind of means I'd be starting from scratch. I kind of consider it a massive piece of unfinished business.

hows tricks with yourself, and also i hope you watched GSP steam role BJ last night. He creamed him!! The man is unbelievable.

john

I'll talk to you when I see you about the kempo.

Even if the ankle isn't right you should still try and get down to watch as it'll make thins much easier on you for the future. Regardless I'll take you throuh whatever your unsure of myself.

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 david894

hey does anyone no how easy it would be to set up a boxing club in dcu or what it would take to try set one up for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

david894 wrote: »
    hey does anyone no how easy it would be to set up a boxing club in dcu or what it would take to try set one up for next year

hmmm no idea, question better suited to the "boxing" board though rather than this "MMA" board im sure!!!

Judomad wrote: »
    hmmm no idea, question better suited to the "boxing" board though rather than this "MMA" board im sure!!!

it was more the setting up process of the club i was interested in not the actual boxing/mma and considering one of the main contributors to this thred seems to have alot to do with the running(and possibly) setting up of the club in dcu i feel it is suited to this board

it was more the setting up process of the club i was interested in not the actual boxing/mma and considering one of the main contributors to this thred seems to have alot to do with the running(and possibly) setting up of the club in dcu i feel it is suited to this board

How easy???...I hope you like paper work;)

Oisin

haha thanks man, hear the mma club up there is doin well congradulations

haha thanks man, hear the mma club up there is doin well congradulations

Thanks David.

Advertisement