Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorhome cover

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I'm picking up my camper on Sat, after have water ingress repairs done.

I'm wondering if I should use a cover in future. Let's face it the majority of the time it is parked up and it's raining!

I've heard about paint rubbing etc.

Anybody have any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

haven't done it myself, but have heard that if you cover the m/home or caravan, that you can retain the moisture rather than dispell it as the air can't circulate?

I think also you can get more algae growing on the outside..

just did a bit of googling.... breathable covers..

http://www.coverworld.com.au/acatalog/30ft-33ft-motorhome-covers.html

hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I have purchased a full motorhome cover (Royal) and will report back on it's performance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

Motorhomes covers are perfetc no rubbing and they breath very well and keeps away frost , you can buy very covers from Uk for 80stg for 25ft motorhomes , Pm me if you want names

I bought a Royal one and it arrived today! very exciting... I suppose I will have to get out the ladder to fit it......

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

3ps wrote: »
    I bought a Royal one and it arrived today! very exciting... I suppose I will have to get out the ladder to fit it......

Has the royal cover got the fleece like lining on inside ????

• Advertisement

yes it's fleece lined, well synthetic fleece!
    also has nice reflectors along the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

hi
    if you can park at side of house,how about one of these

28a3fcce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Hi Shifter

I'm thinking about throwing up one of those.. but I'm curious if the rain is excessively noisy when raining?

KoNiT wrote: »
    Hi Shifter

I'm thinking about throwing up one of those.. but I'm curious if the rain is excessively noisy when raining?

hi KONIT
    you wont hear it in the house,not to bad when standing under it.

very handy when cleaning out&washing when it is raining

i also put outsidehookup on wall beside it,handy for charging&heating

dbb70665.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

SHIFTER wrote: »
    hi KONIT
    you wont hear it in the house,not to bad when standing under it.

very handy when cleaning out&washing when it is raining

i also put outsidehookup on wall beside it,handy for charging&heating

dbb70665.jpg

Nice job. Did you put it up yourself?

*Kol* wrote: »
    Nice job. Did you put it up yourself?

cheers KOL
    yes i put it up myself, it was handy enough to put up.dearest part was the plastic roof sheets.you need to put plenty of screws in every 6" apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Its a fine cover Shifter,hope that side of your house doesn't get strong winds :eek: I had a very similar structure on a rented house years ago and the edge of the sheeting took off in a gale,would of decapitated someone,it stuck in a nearby garden like a spear!!

aerosol wrote: »
    Its a fine cover Shifter,hope that side of your house doesn't get strong winds :eek: I had a very similar structure on a rented house years ago and the edge of the sheeting took off in a gale,would of decapitated someone,it stuck in a nearby garden like a spear!!

cheers aerosol
    thats why i have out plenty of screws in it.it does get a right bit of gales blowing through it,that was why i also didnt sheet the side or end to let it blow through.shes as safe as a house.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

3ps wrote: »
    I'm picking up my camper on Sat, after have water ingress repairs done.

I'm wondering if I should use a cover in future. Let's face it the majority of the time it is parked up and it's raining!

I've heard about paint rubbing etc.

Anybody have any experiences?
    Hi 3ps,

where did you have the water ingress repairs done? Was it expensive? Was there much damage. I have recently noticed some water damage in my MH:mad: and would appreciate anybody's experiences with this.
    Tia, Mick

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. I got the work done at Donagheys in Letterkenny. Not local to me at all but they came recommended and I felt they did a good job. My entry step was rotten and they fabricated a metal one... I never even thought of asking them to do that. I got them to do a few other jobs while it was in there as it was convenient.

My only advice is to have it assessed and repaired ASAP. They told me if I had left it any longer that the repair would have been extremely expensive.

I had water ingress repairs done, a cracked shower tray re-inforced, patched and painted to match, a full habitation service, and some minro engine work done and it came to close to 2k. The labour for the water ingress repairs was the bulk, perhaps about 1400.

Expensive, yes, but could I do it myself? no. You are paying for the convenience and expertise.

Don't go by my quote though as each case will be different. If you catch it early enough you might be able to just get the damp dehumidified out and areas resealed etc. I had to have wood removed etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Thanks for that 3ps.
    I'm in west cork so donegal is a fair distance. I will give them a shout all the same.
    Yes, I figured that having it seen to sooner than later is the way to go.
    Mick.

Advertisement