Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUE JAN 20 21:00 NEW Boardeaux v Coffin Dodgers

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

We need to bounce back from 2 weeks of poor results. We need lots of hard work and graft this week.

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin -
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith -
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

Des will send the text later today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Daryl -
    Clayton -

Martin - YES
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith -
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im out for this one, im in manchester tomorrow and wednesday for the united v derby game. no excuses lads, this has to be 3 points. all we can do now is win every game we can and see what happens.

while there no easy games on astro and anybody can beat anybody, we have more than enough quality to beat these lads. however, as we saw last year, they can bring you down to their level and they beat us 1-0, which ended a 7 match run and our season fell apart after it so they cost us a league challenge. the next 4 games can, if we apply ourselves, get us 12 points, but we need to really put a massive effort in.

good luck and get the 3 points please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Clayton -

Martin - YES
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek -
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl -

I reckon we go gung-ho at this one. Go out and try to play the football we know we can, try make some amends for last few weeks. Adventurous formations ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Wont be able to make this one. I have to stay in kilkenny overnight for work. Sorry (thats mainly aimed at martin :) )

I know the team can win this match though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Clayton -

Martin - YES
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek - yes
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark -
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie -
    Ciaran -
    Karl

Wont be able to make this one. I have to stay in kilkenny overnight for work. Sorry (thats mainly aimed at martin :) )

I know the team can win this match though.

Don't worry about it Peter, can get the train right out to this place. Takes ages but it's the only one I can get to easy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sockdolage

I won't be able to make it either, have an exam on Wednesday morning. BTW Des I still have my jersey from last week, brought it with me by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Clayton -

Martin - YES
    Ed - No
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo -
    Larry -
    Derek - yes
    Peter -
    Gav -
    Mark - No
    Gar -
    Dave -

Art -
    Eddie - YES
    Ciaran -
    Karl

I'm looking for a lift off Dan or whoever. Only have Eds number so if you read this Dan reply here, I'll be on here after 6. If not I'll get your number off Des later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Can't make this one, out with the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Clayton - No, injured
    Daryll -

Martin - YES
    Ed - No, away
    Dan - Yes
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes

Cathal -
    Mick Mc - No

Lepo - No
    Larry - No, college
    Derek - yes
    Peter - No, work
    Gav - Yes
    Mark - No
    Gar - Yes
    Dave - Yes

Art - Yes
    Eddie - Yes
    Ciaran - Yes
    Jules - yes

Few lads missing tonight but shouldn't be an issue. Any world on whether Daryl is in or not? With Lepo out too we might have to play someone random in goals. Good to have Gar back as well. EDIT: Jules too??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I can jump in if needs be, though I'll need gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I have a pair of glove that I'll bring along just in case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Clayton - No, injured
    Daryl - Yes

Martin - YES
    Ed - No, away
    Dan -
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes

Cathal -
    Mick Mc -

Lepo - No
    Larry - No, college
    Derek - yes
    Peter - No, work
    Gav - Yes
    Mark - No
    Gar - Yes
    Dave - Yes

Art - Yes
    Eddie - Yes
    Ciaran - Yes
    Jules - yes

With the weather as it is (sleet/snow in Tallaght at lunchtime) and that no-one knew the pitch was almost frozen two weeks ago, any chance this game might be postponed?

Clayton - No, injured
    Daryll - Yes

Martin - YES
    Ed - No, away
    Dan - Yes
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes

Cathal -
    Mick Mc - No

Lepo - No
    Larry - No, college
    Derek - yes
    Peter - No, work
    Gav - Yes
    Mark - No
    Gar - Yes
    Dave - Yes

Art - Yes
    Eddie - Yes
    Ciaran - Yes
    Jules - yes

6-1...more to follow...

So, strange game.

They turned up with 9 men, and we had a discussion, and had apparently decided to play a friendly if no more of them turned up, so I went with that.

then, just before kick off I got word that it was actually going to count as a league match, so I asked Gar if he fancied a run out with them, he agreed, and they upped to ten men. In fairness to Gar, he didn't do any messing, and got stuck in for them, I even think I saw him giving them some pointers. :P

We lined out 4-4-2

Daryl
    Keith -- Dan -- Cathal -- Mick
    Dave -- Martin -- Derek -- Gav
    Art
    Ciaran----

Jules and Eddie on the bench

I asked the lads at the back to play a high line, and for Daryl to deal with any long balls, which was done, apart from the fact that they left a hanger all night, but Dan and Cathal had that sorted after a minute or two.

going forward, I felt we should have been more clinical, in fact, I know we should have been. Sometimes I feel we try a pass or a touch too many, try to be too fancy.

Anyway, back to the game.

We took the lead with a bizarre goal, that I'm still not convinced actually went in, ciaran even said he turned away thinking it had been turned the other side of the post. i'm not one to argue with the ref though.

Ciaran scored again a while later, with a well placed shot into the bottom left corner.

Eddie came on for Derek midway through the first half, and then popped up with a 30 yard bending shot into the top corner, goal of the night.

then they had a shot from distance which looped over Daryl to make it 3-1 at ht

At half time I stuck Jules to LB in place of Mick, fair play to Mick, he had said to me before the game that he hadn't a problem with it. Good to see you back Jules :)

Art scored after a nice through ball put him one-on-one with the keeper, who initially blocked it, but typical Art determination kept him top of the scoring charts.

Then Gav got a shot away to make it 5, and then I decided to try and get more goals.

We went 3-4-3, and I think it stopped our flow a bit.

Crowded the last third too much or something, too many bodies.

Anyway, Dave put a nice ball accross, one all defenders hate for the very reason that it causes OG's, it's his second OG Assist of the season.

Last but not least, I should mention Daryl's excellent save at the end to turn that shot around the bottom of the post, keeping the score respectable.

Was a game which we were always going to win and it was good to get a few goals on the sheet though we should have been into double figures!!

Easily should have won by at least 10. But anyway, results elsewhere aint good so all we can do is try go on a run and hope others slip up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Really enjoyed getting back into the action and this was pretty much the perfect game to do it. Happy enough with the reaction of the legs today, not normal but nowhere near what it was last time and given it looked in October that I mightn't ever play again without that pain I'll take it. Doesn't mean it's fully sorted as it gets worse the more you exert it, but I'll take it one game at a time and fingers crossed.

Lovely slick football played at times taking advantage of the extra space that would've troubled many teams, some lovely 6/7 pass moves were almost finished off beautifully. Their keeper was Jekyll & Hyde - pure muck first half throwin balls into the net all over the shop, then pure class second half touching everything onto or just around the posts.
    Des wrote: »
    Crowded the last third too much or something, too many bodies.

Fully agree, we were cutting them to shreds out wide but always tried to play the ball in behind (tough with the speed of the surface) or whip it across into a box that was jammed when we had countless chances to cut it back for men in space at the edge of the box....would've easily hit those elusive double-digits if we'd done that more! But in fairness, at 6-1 lads are gonna try stuff to enjoy themselves so it's understandable.

Have to say the communication and organization is much improved, though again how much of it's hectic screaming at a fella versus calmly talking to each other to let him know you're there I'm not sure.....though that could just be my ears being dusty with the time off :) That said, that one shot I had from edge of the box was due to getting so many screamed roars for it that I couldn't make up my mind and just though 'f**k it' and had a pop!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des has it pretty nailed, but all I can add is agreement that sometimes it got too complicated and too many options.

Their goal was a complete fluke - Ronaldinho at the World Cup v England - it was meant as a long ball up to their hanger which floated in under the top corner. Otherwise it was a nice game at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from speaking to a few of you, seems it was a weird game and we could have knocked in alot more. still, 3 points is 3 points and helped the goald difference, though we need it to be alot better.

all we can do now is keep winning games. we have 7 left, thats 21 points to play for and would mean we could hit 41 points. theres only one team IMO that can possibly better than when all games are taken into account and that is oak tree. we can get 2nd with a massive effort, first with a massive amount of luck and results going our way. the next 3 weeks now are vital.

Advertisement