Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock your Houses - Gang on loose in Galway, Mayo and Roscommon

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just reading an article on this website about the Gardai searching for a highly mobile gang of thieves who have targeted homes in Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.

Nothing worse than someone breaking into your house. It happened my gran three times in Dublin over the years and they left the place in a state everytime.

I'm sure most folk up here in Galway lock their doors but if not it might just be time to start being more vigilant.

And as it appears one of our local headford doctors was a victim of this gang so thats just a little close for comfort!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Next door neighbours got robbed last year. Absolutely fleeced them. I'd love to have been home and seen them. I'd never advocate violence but scum like that make it hard not to.

Lots of houses hit in Corrandulla area last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kazooie wrote: »
    Next door neighbours got robbed last year. Absolutely fleeced them. I'd love to have been home and seen them. I'd never advocate violence but scum like that make it hard not to.

Lots of houses hit in Corrandulla area last year as well.

But I do believe they got caught? One of them tried to escape by crossing a field and tried to hide among some cows but the cows actually gave him away to the police. No joke, the guards checked the field after the cows got disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Can't beat having a dog that will go mental as soon as anyone comes near the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Seems like that was good advice. There was a family tied up and robbed up the road last night: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0216/galway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This happens every so often. Small country towns are easy pickings for them. Half the time we don't lock our cars, allot of people will go into the shop and leave their cars running outside.

I think people are beginning to cop onto it. Our town got raided 2 years ago. They got my sisters car radio and a load more around town. That was just opportunistic petty theft though nothing like that RTE report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seems like that was good advice. There was a family tied up and robbed up the road last night: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0216/galway.html

Terrible, must have been very traumatic esp for the young kids.
    I live in the area, shocking when it happens close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah i get a bit worried about my mams house in Mayo hearing things like this. Doubt they are likely to target estates in towns though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They have no problems targeting estates, more loot.

ScumLord wrote: »
    This happens every so often. Small country towns are easy pickings for them. Half the time we don't lock our cars, allot of people will go into the shop and leave their cars running outside.

I think people are beginning to cop onto it. Our town got raided 2 years ago. They got my sisters car radio and a load more around town. That was just opportunistic petty theft though nothing like that RTE report.

Yeah, I know what you mean about locking cars. I've totally got out of the habit since moving West, both at home and at the shops (wouldn't leave the keys tho!).
    When I was living in Dublin I wouldn't leave it unlocked for a second and would be looking out any time I hear a sound. I guess it's because people are so nice down here you forget the world isn't like the town in "it's a wonderful life" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yeah, I know what you mean about locking cars. I've totally got out of the habit since moving West, both at home and at the shops (wouldn't leave the keys tho!).

You obviously aren't here long enough when you haven't got into leaving the keys in and the car running, though :D

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    You obviously aren't here long enough when you haven't got into leaving the keys in and the car running, though :D
    That's when I'll be a 'real' culchie! :p:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That's when I'll be a 'real' culchie! :p:P

You'll have to move to Mayo first.:D

galwayrush wrote: »
    You'll have to move to Mayo first.:D

LMAO. Ahh that's going a bit too far. Maybe I'll just leave the teactor running!

Advertisement