Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Cooker Recommendations

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

My husband and I are installing a cooker/stove in our open plan kitchen living area. This is a new build house. The chimney is in the living area hence cooker/stove will be in that location.

This cooker will only be required to heat the room as we will have oil heating and solar panels for our hot water requirements.

We would appreciate your thoughts opinions recommendations on: AGA, Stanley, Rayburn solid fuel ranges.

Stanley ranges we are specifically interested in the Errigal. Have you the splashback and the platerack (clothes airer) - do you find these useful - would you recommend or not?

Feedback on the Esse ironheart cooker, would be very welcome. This is a model we came across in the North which appears to be a good compromise for us between the look of a stove (seeing the fire) having the option of an oven/cooker top.

However, from one or two web-sites we have seen, the airfilter which supposedly keeps the glass door clean does not work that well. Could you let us know of your experience?

Also, we are unsure of its heating cooking capacity.

Any advice thoughts and opinions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LMitch

We've have an Esse Ironheart, which was installed approx 18 months ago, in our large kitchen/dinner but leave the door open to our lounge and it heats that room beautifully too - despite the cold winter!

Can't recommend these stoves enough, you do need an ordinary oven for warmer months as the heat from these are overpowering but I use mine for drying clothes, cooking and heating.

It really has its own personality and brings such warm character to our home.

With regards to cleaning, we found we needed to give it a good clean after 3 months of use initially and then about every 6 moths but we do burn hard day and night. If you load it well it will stay in enough to rake through in the morning and roar into life when some more woods thrown into it. It also keeps the rooms warm when out, for a while anyway, because it acts like a huge night storage heater. Having said all that and with regards to keeping the glass clean, the secret is to burn dry wood, anything wet will tar up the glass and smoke when the door is opened, but otherwise it behaves itself - the door is really easily cleaned by just using white vinegar and a scouring sponge.

We love ours and it has saved us a FORTUNE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

i hav rayburn no.3 in need of refurbishment or swap for one done up. great range lots of hot water can anyone advise me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jasperm

Myself and my husband are renovation our house and we are considering installing an esse wood fueled range cooker in our kichen accompanyed by the electric esse plus 2.

They say that the esse woodburner can be keep going for 12 hours without refuelling. Both of us work so we need something like this. We want the range to heat the rads downstairs, supply hot water and also to cook for the winter month.

Can anyone give advice on how good the esse actually is and also how easy it is to regulate and cook on. My mother had a solid fuel range in ou kitchen for years but never really used it becuase it was too difficult to regulate!!

Any advice on wood burning ranges would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Jasperm wrote: »
    Myself and my husband are renovation our house and we are considering installing an esse wood fueled range cooker in our kichen accompanyed by the electric esse plus 2.

They say that the esse woodburner can be keep going for 12 hours without refuelling. Both of us work so we need something like this. We want the range to heat the rads downstairs, supply hot water and also to cook for the winter month.

Can anyone give advice on how good the esse actually is and also how easy it is to regulate and cook on. My mother had a solid fuel range in ou kitchen for years but never really used it becuase it was too difficult to regulate!!

Any advice on wood burning ranges would be appreciated.

Hi, I myself would install a multifuel cooker unless you have access to plenty of cheap wood or free.

It really depends on how many rads you need to heat as to the cooker suitable.

There are a few good quality simple to use cookers.

Brosely woodburning cookers.

http://www.broseleyfires.com/Range-Cookers/ (La Nordica) Very good make and I like the window to see the fire.

And Warmsler.

http://www.wamslercookers.co.uk/

No window to see the fire but well made and I like the adjustable grate for less boiler output in summer.

The only problem with wood and slumber burning is you will have to let it go out and clean the flue passages inside the cooker:( A fire is best burning brightly as less flue deposits/tar formation.

The esse ironheart is made primarily of steel and only has a boiler for heating the hot water only. The W35 is better as it has a good sized boiler and would heat about 5 radiators depending on their size.

See if there is any reviews on here. www.whatstove.co.uk

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement