Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of the sockets gone

Options
  • 18-01-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

Yesterday afternoon, as I went to turn on the Hoover half of the sockets in the apartment went. I flicked all the switches on/off on the fusebox but to no avail. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I'm thinking I have to change the switches or something like that

Here is a pic of the fuse box - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a3ccj5&s=5

I used the hoover on the other sockets so it seems to be ok

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well, none of your tripswitches are down so then it's likely to be one of the following:

- Faulty circuitbreaker.
    - loose connection onto the circuitbreaker serving that circuit.
    - loose connection at one of the sockets that is being used to loop to the others. (most likely IMO)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try a phase tester on each of the trip switches to make sure you have a live out.
    Also try a phase tester on the affected sockets, it could also be a loose connection on a neutral.
    If you are not compleatly comfortable testing live main then it would be best to get an electrician to check it out for you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

koolkid wrote: »
    If you are not compleatly comfortable testing live main then it would be best to get an electrician to check it out for you

+1

IMO stay away from the fuseboard/fusebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭willbur

hi first remove all items that are plug in to the sockets that are gone ,
    then the mcb that has triped , push it down further then up this is what you have to do for some mcb if no joy pm me your no when your home
    and i will go through way.s fo fixing this safely regards willbur:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Stoner wrote: »
    +1

IMO stay away from the fuseboard/fusebox.

+2

Definitely do not open the consumer unit / fusebox. You should get an electrician out. It sounds like a possible neutral fault or loose connection. Once you're actually working inside the consumer unit, you can end up accidently touching the actual mains i.e. the ESB main supply which is only protected by a 63A or 80A fuse. It can kill or seriously injure you!

If some of the sockets on one of the radials are dead, it's possible that there's a loose connection at the back of one of the sockets en route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 glowworm

try resetting the rcd or push it down fully and push it back up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Unlikely but a possible cause is a fault with the appliance? Try another appliance on all sockets and if all work, at least you know where the fault is.

Sometimes the wiring in plug on appliance can be loose and cause problems, but if it's a factory fitted & sealed plugtop then this is very unlikely to give any problems.

A good sparks would find fault in 30 mins or less:D

Advertisement