Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook €210(not inc P&P)

Options
  • 18-01-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well just got an email from ebuyer about their sale,
    It's a HP Compaq 2133 Mini-Note VIA C7-M ULV Processor 1024M/120G 8.9

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008

Its running linux but i'm sure it capable of running XP no problem,

For €210(checked today on xe.com) less P&P from ebuyer is not a bad deal

Though I'd tell ya all :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks decent enough... battery life seems a bit shorter than the atom processors but one or two reviews I looked at were good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2133_Mini-Note_PC

Express card slot is a nice feature to have and the screen has a decent resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Supposed to have a lovely keyboard, excellent build quality but a shockingly slow processor. Also poor battery life. Having said that, initial copies shipped with Vista on the machine so reviews will have reflected that. Don't think I ever saw a review of the Linux model which surely would be miles quicker to run. The native resolution might be a little too high for such a small screen? Plus, there's a glossy plastic coating to the screen which may make it very difficult to use out of doors/in bright lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Don't ship to Ireland. United Kingdom is pre-filled in when you try and put your address in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't ship to Ireland. United Kingdom is pre-filled in when you try and put your address in.
    Pay with Google Checkout and you can ship to Ireland and use your Irish credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Found this in a review:

The only issue that caused concern with the screen on the Mini-Note was the use of an additional protective layer of glossy plastic over the screen. While this extra layer of plastic helps protect the display, the unfortunate side effect is significant reflection. We're not talking about a typical glossy screen. We're talking about a screen with a completely separate glossy layer applied over it.

When viewing the display your eyes naturally shift focus between what is being displayed on the screen and what is being reflected in the glossy surface of the second layer over the screen. Since these images are on a slightly different focal plane you can easily develop eye strain and headaches from looking at this screen. I actually developed a mild headache after less than two hours of using this notebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The chassis and keyboard build are great on these, you'll be won over just pawing at it for a short while.. the CPU on the other hand is like a smouldering turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Thanks Ricky91t,

Got one of these, paid using Google Checkout. Quick delivery, stuck nLite'd copy of XP Pro on it (see other post here).

Great quality feel to the HP; fast enough for what intended (browsing, email, word), fits a lot onto that 1280 x 800 screen!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Great price for that machine.

Battery life ain't great and the processor is iffy even for a netbook (though the trial model I got had Vista on it, stupidly enough) but the keyboard is absolutely fantastic as is the overall build-quality.

Feels like it's actually a piece of hardware as opposed to a fisher-price toy.

Nice and neat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Random wrote: »
    Pay with Google Checkout and you can ship to Ireland and use your Irish credit card.

Wish I knew this ages ago - amount of times I've wanted to buy things from Ebuyer and thought they didn't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

benifa wrote: »
    Wish I knew this ages ago - amount of times I've wanted to buy things from Ebuyer and thought they didn't ship to Ireland.

my new hdtv arrived from them yesterday.

best recession ive ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've got mine running Vista HP now. More ram would be nice but seems fine

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Am tempted, how much was postage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Nice to know this helped of some people :)

I don't know what the shipping is though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was £202 all in

Random wrote: »

Nuts, doesn't seem like Google Checkout takes Laser Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks op-just ordered for my son's birthday-seems like a better choice than the one I was going to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Nice to know this helped of some people :)

I don't know what the shipping is though

Shipping is GBP12.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Shipping was £12.99 for me!

Money was debited from my cc account and it worked out at €230. Now I just have to wait for it to come! How fast are they to send stuff out?

lindtee wrote: »
    Shipping was £12.99 for me!

Money was debited from my cc account and it worked out at €230. Now I just have to wait for it to come! How fast are they to send stuff out?

took about 5 days for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

• Advertisement

Nuts, doesn't seem like Google Checkout takes Laser Card.

Cant get Google Checkout to work with my Visa. Its well in funds, keeps rejecting. Any magic to this ?

Tried paypal also but ebuyer appends 'UK' onto the last line of the shipping address, & so paypal rejects as an unknown address

Help !

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

Should have no problem setting up google checkout account with your visa (note that laser/paypal don't work with ebuyer when you are living in Ireland). Once setup (don't forget to put your mobile number in as this is used by the couriers to contact you), then you need to confirm it via e-mail. Once activated you are ready to rock.
    Don't setup an account or register with ebuyer.
    Just go in to ebuyer, put your goods in the basket, pay with google checkout and sit back and relax. Goods should be with you within a few days! Simple as that.

[QUOTE=joeswatch;Don't setup an account or register with ebuyer..[/QUOTE]

This did it joes thanks

Crazy that if you register it kicks you & they send emails requiring utility bills & copy passport as ID, but if you just order as a noname there's no problem !

Will be delivered Tuesday.

Threw in a Liteon 8x Slim External DVDRW LightScribe USB White for good measure (GBP47)

The one good thing about registering is that you can track your order. Couldn't seem to manage that with google

kearnsr wrote: »
    The one good thing about registering is that you can track your order. Couldn't seem to manage that with google

The trick is to register with ebuyer, but then logout & place your order as a noname.

If you try to order when logged in, you get the effects I describe above, & you cannot complete the transaction (ie pay).

Once you successfully order & pay thru Google Checkout, you can go back in & ebuyer recognises (from address) that you have ordered, & you can track from there on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

the link in the first post is out of stock - does anyone know of an alternative, please?
    qwertz wrote: »

When I got to that link, there's an image of a netbook, but no price or buy now. Does that mean it's no longer sold? I would have expected it just to be out of stock, but to still have a price...

Advertisement