Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a poker coach

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been playing poker for a couple of years. Started with Sngs and now play 6max 25NL. I'm a small winner at 25nl but havn't put much work into my game up until now, but I've just joined a training site and decided to put some serious time into improving.

I should have a bankroll for 50nl around the end of February at which point I'm thinking of getting some coaching, I can afford to pay for this outside of my poker bankroll. Can anyone recommend a decent coach either on this board or over at twoplustwo that charges in the region of $50 or so per session?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Send a PM to hectorjelly or valor on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭insomniak

joepeger on pokerstars, check out his graph on sharkscope

he askedmethe same thing a few months ago but i just told him a few things, and to go onto 2+2and ask them any toughspots there, so he did and now he knows generally what the do in most spots
    thats because he couldnt really be bothered paying $50 and hour when he couldnt be too sure of the quality of the teacher and didnt want to trust anyone else. he's making a very good hourly profit with only 2 bad downswings(he's on one now but still has a lot in his account), but with the bonuses and profit he's making enough for what he wants, only a student...
    just letting you know what some others do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DubTony wrote: »
    Send a PM to hectorjelly or valor on this site.

Thanks for the referral, and all past ones! I'm winding down my coaching at the moment though, I don't have time for any more students.

To the OP
    It will be hard to find coaching for $50 an hour. Try posting hands and reading all you can. That or a poker training site. I work for pokerswat.com, which has a lot of good videos at high and low stakes. Other sites are good too.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm sure I wont be getting any decent established coaches for $50/hour.

Over on the 2plus2 coaching forum there are however plenty of people offering uNL and sometimes SSNL coaching for around $50 an hour. I'm guessing the reason for the low price is that they have no coaching experience, what kind of things should I be asking a coach before I decide to take his services. PT/HEM graph etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Use the $50 for a subscription to Deuces cracked, Cardrunners or Pokerswat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jaron02

Thank you for sharing a nice post. A personal poker coach will assist the amateur player to improve his game, make better decisions while playing the game and of course to make more money by winning more games.
    The best part of the process is that you get to select which poker coach you want. This decision is based mostly on the reputation of the coach and his success rate of turning average poker players to champion poker players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭FuttBucker

ama0330 on 2p2 does coaching for 50$ an hour, he crushed those stakes for awhile i think, send him a PM on 2p2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lolwut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

FuttBucker wrote: »
    ama0330 on 2p2 does coaching for 50$ an hour, he crushed those stakes for awhile i think, send him a PM on 2p2

Just because someone can crush the stake does not necessarily mean he will make a good coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

dK1NG wrote: »
    Just because someone can crush the stake does not necessarily mean he will make a good coach.
    Very true, I have heard of lots of small stakes coaches charging $250 per hour who are not actually very good at the teaching aspect, but more just sweat your game. There are however plenty of great coaches out there but I wouldn't bank on getting anyone to coach you for as little as $50 pre hour.

OP, just study the small stakes vids and adhere to the starting hand charts. You should find one on 2+2 or on cardrunners if you are a member there. The 50nl games online are not hard to beat if you play a solid TAG style. There are probably a few leaks in your game that just need to be pointed out. For example, you may be calling to much, or not Cbetting enough. Why don't you post up some of your stats and I'm sure plenty of people on here would be happy to give you some advice.
    GL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

Id use the 50 to get on deuces cracked and download some of there series ones that come to mind are Baby Steps and From the Ground up and WOT's math series!

If you really really want a guy you can contact me and ill link you a blog to a guy who does 10-25nl guys but i would go with the training site getting coached isint for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

I'd get this poker coach.

040106-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

I know its been asked to death on which training site is best, but for micro stakes where getting a subscription represents a huge % investment, which one would be reccomended?
    With deuces cracked, can you buy a weeklong subscription and DL as many vids as possible?
    Any other sites that allow downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

if you're looking for someone who put the busto in busto stakes, try this guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

I know its been asked to death on which training site is best, but for micro stakes where getting a subscription represents a huge % investment, which one would be reccomended?
    With deuces cracked, can you buy a weeklong subscription and DL as many vids as possible?
    Any other sites that allow downloads?

I had the same idea when i signed up with them 2 years ago, get on get all the vids and tip on but thats there idea the content is so good that you will pay the 146$ for 6 months ( n yes i still pay). There are other sites CR,Stox, Leggo and others personally i like DC just the whole package suits me forum,vids etc, having said that i havent tried Leggo i know though from others the content is really good. You can get CR and Stox for free just by grinding at FTP! As far as download what you want and run off i think DC are the only ones.

www.rakeline.com

Advertisement