Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home wireless. Fools guide.

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

Not so PC savvy, so would appreciate a few pointers if possible.

We have a Dell dimension PC with a UTVinternet supplied ZyXel USB modem.

Now we want to get a wireless set up in house with laptop.

Would someone be so kind as to point out what type of modem (link if possible and difficulty/cautions in set up) we need to transmit and what wireless spec we should look for if buying a laptop.

Many thanks and sorry for ignorance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

All laptops come with wireless nowadays, so there is no need to worry about that.

Does the Zyxel modem do wireless?

If so, it's simply a matter of entering a code into the laptop from the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thanks Tom. No, the modem isn't a wireless, so really need to know what to get. Even in Maplin today, there's too much of a choice...and I just want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,001 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On the USB modem: presumably youre connecting it to the PC through a USB-B port like this:

usbg-ms201.jpg

Is there also an empty port on the modem that looks similar to a telephone jack?

Is there also an empty port on the modem that looks similar to a telephone jack?

Why did you call me "Jack"? Nobody has called me that since I was a kid?

There is only a USB port to pc and a telephone line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

So you will need a wireless router/modem so you can have wireless and also get rid of your existing Usb zxyel so you wont have too much clutter
    There are a number of these on the below link with probably the belkin or netgear to most common.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12211

Now using this you can have this beside your PC and a Network Cable going into your computer.
    Or else you could get a wireless card/USB dongle to connect your Pc wirelessly to this.Please see below.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12214

If you are still confused just say.
    Sometimes us Tech nerds arent the best at explaining stuff.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If you've got the small blue modem that came free with UTV (the zyxel 630-11) it'll definitely be no good to you for wireless. Because it's got a USB connection, you won't be able to just pick up a general router (one that just covers the network and doesn't do internet) and daisy chain it as all the wireless routers will expect an Internet modem to connect to it through a network point, which the blue zyxel modem doesn't have.

So you can do one of two things, get a combo router/DSL modem or get one of each and connect them. Far easier and cheaper to get one combo router/DSL modem, pointless having two plastic boxes when you can get one that does both.

I have that Belkin in floydmoon1's first link (the 54Mps G model). Using it on UTV broadband and it works fine.

The only hassle I have with it (and I stress this is of my doing as I haven't set it up properly) is that when the every-two-days disconnection comes, the machine using it via wireless can only get a local connection, hence I'm resetting the router every two days. That's of my doing though, must start a thread sometime with details, asking what I need to do to sort it.

Setup on the thing was nice and easy, all done with a web browser so it doesn't matter what operating system you're using on your PC (I've piddled about with the settings in two versions of Windows and linux). Easy to set up security as well.

It's only a G router so it's limited to 54Mps but that's more than good enough for a small number of machines operating on a network (I only have 2) and good enough to stream whatever video or audio to want or need between the machines or off the net. I didn't need a G+ or N router and most people don't (ignore what you see on the back of the box for recommendations, 54Mps is far faster than your Internet connection so unless you have more than a few machines all accessing the web at once, the top speed is more than enough), it was cheaper than the higher equivalents.

I reckon 49.99 sterling is quite pricey though, you'll get that one or something equivalent cheaper.

I'm sure the netgear is as good or better, bit more expensive as a rule though. Can't comment on the netgear as I haven't used one.

Think I have found Belkin 54G cheaper here at Dabs.ie

What I have noticed is that the OS is XP, which I have on PC, but I will have Linux on laptop. Is this an issue?

Am I correct in then thinking that I can connect from phone jack to this and then via USB to PC and then be able to use a wireless network enabled laptop?

By the way, thanks to all for help!

As an update, I ended up getting an Edimax router from Maplin (€65). Am set up and grateful for assistance here and the crew in Maplin Galway.

You get the feeling that they would work there for free, if they had to.

Advertisement