Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thurles and fighting!¬??

Options
  • 18-01-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

recently there is fights everynight of the weekend anywhere you go in thurles its not the lads either the girls are worse.. i cant be bothered even going out there for a pint anymore usually go out in dublin or limerick and i never have seen trouble in either..

your toughts and comments.

e.g. of this group of 15-20 years i heard were fighting last night in the middle of the square.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

recently there is fights everynight of the weekend anywhere you go in thurles its not the lads either the girls are worse.. i cant be bothered even going out there for a pint anymore usually go out in dublin or limerick and i never have seen trouble in either..

your toughts and comments.

e.g. of this group of 15-20 years i heard were fighting last night in the middle of the square.

Maybe there's a lack of alternatives?

It's an fairly boring town, I'm surprised there's not more "dogging" up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Ive, not been out in a pub in thurles since early Oct 08 when i saw a guy jump counter in supermacs and beat the crap out of female serving behind counter, cos he was delayed in being served. Its sickening the level of violence in the town lately and its younger their bloody getting. I have my teenage son barred from going into town since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Ive, not been out in a pub in thurles since early Oct 08 when i saw a guy jump counter in supermacs and beat the crap out of female serving behind counter, cos he was delayed in being served. Its sickening the level of violence in the town lately and its younger their bloody getting. I have my teenage son barred from going into town since then.
    The only time i go to Thurles is when Tipp are playing hurling, by the sound of things I better keep it that way...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thurles has always been bad for fighting, it has been like it for the last 20 years, goes through phases of being bad though. littleton vs thurles, or thurles vs holycross, jesus the amount of stupid i have watched

is thurles not the same as every small town in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Tis a decent enough town for a few pints in the day/evening, but rough enough late at night(was the last time I was down there!)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hmmm, I'm glad I only go back there once every few months. Saw a bit of trouble at Christmas but tbh it seems par for the course these days whenever I talk to people who are around there a bit more often than I am.

Whatever happened to going for a few pints and enjoying yourself, getting ****faced and kicking the crap out of anything that moves doesn't sound like a good night to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joanne4

i hate the thoughts of my kids goin out in thurles over the next few yrs. i stopped goin out myself a few yrs back cause of the violence. its just not worth it.

Does anyone know whether that nightclub is still going at the back of Hayes Hotel?

Brgds
    Johnny

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether that nightclub is still going at the back of Hayes Hotel?

Brgds
    Johnny

Hayes bejasus?? it sure is mate and still a frigging dump..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Was only in Thurles last saturday for the cork game.

DIdnt stay around for a few drinks as was driving. There were loadsa little ****s in the square getting started on people their own age though.

Like that everywhere though. Its a shame.

• Advertisement

Hayes bejasus?? it sure is mate and still a frigging dump..:D

Sound cheers, will be down in Thurles in about 3 weekends time(prob staying in Hayes as cheap and a late brekkie etc), needless to say staying far far away from the nightclub though, at least the residents bar in there stays open til all hours!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Sound cheers, will be down in Thurles in about 3 weekends time(prob staying in Hayes as cheap and a late brekkie etc), needless to say staying far far away from the nightclub though, at least the residents bar in there stays open til all hours!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

How much is it to stay a night there?

Brgds
    Johnny

Head to Blake's, The Castle Tavern or The County for a few decent scoops and good craic, tho Blake's seems to be the only spot in town lately with a Dj on a sat nite. The security staff in there seem to be constantly on top of things, so imo its as safe a bet as you'll get in Thurles.

hblock21 wrote: »
    How much is it to stay a night there?

No idea mate, i try to avoid the gaff as much as i can!:P

Sound will give them a try Monica, also dont mind Ryans which is a decent spot for a few pints first as well......

Ref staying in hayes - think it about 50 Euro a night including breakfast?

Brgds
    Johnny

joanne4 wrote: »
    i hate the thoughts of my kids goin out in thurles over the next few yrs. i stopped goin out myself a few yrs back cause of the violence. its just not worth it.

Ive been going out in Thurles for the last two years and to be honest i never come across any fighting on the streets or anything like that. Im not a kid either, im in my mid twentys. I dont really get it when people say thurles is gone to the dogs for fighting n stuff. Far enough theres the odd one thrown out of supermacs and of course the food-fights!!

I think its a case of, if you constantly see fighting every weekend, your obviously hanging around the wrong people FULL STOP

Head to Blake's

Are you mad?

Any 'normal' i.e. not a knacker, scumbag, stays well away from that place. Scum of Thurles go there.

Are you mad?

Any 'normal' i.e. not a knacker, scumbag, stays well away from that place. Scum of Thurles go there.

Em no trust me am quite sane! It used to be like that but i've been a regular in there since before Christmas and the craic is mighty.The security staff are great at stopping anything before it starts and showing potential trouble makers to the door. Its definitley had its trouble alright but i think the Owner and staff have learned a few lessons as regarding who to let in.

Em no trust me am quite sane! It used to be like that but i've been a regular in there since before Christmas and the craic is mighty.The security staff are great at stopping anything before it starts and showing potential trouble makers to the door. Its definitley had its trouble alright but i think the Owner and staff have learned a few lessons as
    regarding who to let in.

Interesting. I'll hold my judgment tho if you don't mind!

I've been there twice. Once in 2007 and again in 2008 and each time there have been allot of actual knackers. Anyone that talks about the place has only bad things to say about it and anyone that says they go there every weekend id have my concerns about! But as you've said it may have changed.

My landlord told me a story about a time he went in wearing combats. A bouncer stopped him looked down at his pants and says 'sorry thought you were wearing tracksuit bottoms' My landlord then looked to his side and there was this traveler drinking away. Needless to say he(landlord) looked at the bouncer, turned on his heels and never went back again!

Interesting. I'll hold my judgment tho if you don't mind!

I've been there twice. Once in 2007 and again in 2008 and each time there have been allot of actual knackers. Anyone that talks about the place has only bad things to say about it and anyone that says they go there every weekend id have my concerns about! But as you've said it may have changed.

My landlord told me a story about a time he went in wearing combats. A bouncer stopped him looked down at his pants and says 'sorry thought you were wearing tracksuit bottoms' My landlord then looked to his side and there was this traveler drinking away. Needless to say he(landlord) looked at the bouncer, turned on his heels and never went back again!

Ok just to clarify, i dont go out very often but i might pop in for a pint when im town etc, so it wouldn't necessarily be every weekend, phew(way to avoid sounding like a pro alcho!!):o

But, yes i agree with your post, there were actual bona fide Knackers allowed in there one time, but after a particularly nasty incident in Oct that has all been stopped. If your from town, its not necessary for me to name the knackers surnames but the well known ones have been forcibly barred.

The reason i'm so well informed is i have family working in there and he wouldn't dream of having me in bar where my safety would be an issue.

Also the security staff has been changed with one or two exceptions, they also have a female bouncer which i think rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

Ok just to clarify, i dont go out very often but i might pop in for a pint when im town etc, so it wouldn't necessarily be every weekend, phew(way to avoid sounding like a pro alcho!!):o

But, yes i agree with your post, there were actual bona fide Knackers allowed in there one time, but after a particularly nasty incident in Oct that has all been stopped. If your from town, its not necessary for me to name the knackers surnames but the well known ones have been forcibly barred.

The reason i'm so well informed is i have family working in there and he wouldn't dream of having me in bar where my safety would be an issue.

Also the security staff has been changed with one or two exceptions, they also have a female bouncer which i think rocks!

in my opnion blakes owners etc are lovely, as are the staff but its not the travellers etc that cause the trouble from what i have seen there by the way..

noel ryans is a nice pub but being honest i am in my mid twentys and love to go out to the tatch with a few friends or two-mile-borris..

intresting the opnion of people on pubs in the town, a lot has changed since the days of the binn lisin, i even remember when it was callanans, as a young lad used to go there with my granddad,

@hblock are you from the town yourself?

@monica the pub choice in thurles is poor as you said about music and so on less and less pubs are doing it, larrys is just around the corner from me nice place to pop in for a pint

used to drink in the castle all the time aint been there in a while, gets a bit crowed sometimes hard to get a drink in..

@hblock are you from the town yourself?

Yes I am, been here for 2 years now. Original from Mullinahone. My job brought me here, it sure wasn't for the nightlife. Its a grand place really tho, you just have to make sure your really drunk in hayes!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

Yes I am, been here for 2 years now. Original from Mullinahone. My job brought me here, it sure wasn't for the nightlife. Its a grand place really tho, you just have to make sure your really drunk in hayes!

i agree with that also, hayes.. oh good good(my ass have to be going in the door sideways).. there is no alternative in the town, due to the same heads owning overthing here which is such a pity the munster has a full on club inside it and its closed:( the anner altought they dont have the facilities for a night club
    .. where else is there mr.0s in templemore, grants in cashel.. seen better set ups in sheds

JIM OF THE MILLS ftw!:D

Advertisement