Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pre-pay dongle

Options
  • 18-01-2009 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i'm getting a pre-pay dongle for the 3 network (the only one with coverage here in the west).should i get the more expensive one .is there any difference much?and also can i just pick up a 2nd hand one somewhere if i want or do i have to get it new thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The newer ones don't make it any better, get the cheapest. If you get a used one, make sure it's unlocked, or only locked to the Three-Ireland network. Being locked yo any other network, including Three-UK, will not work.

Also, are you sure it's the only one with coverage? Have you tried any others out, or where did you find this information. Three is probably the worst one to go with. Even though they have coverage, the majority of users find it unusable anyway, a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

jor el wrote: »
    The newer ones don't make it any better, get the cheapest. If you get a used one, make sure it's unlocked, or only locked to the Three-Ireland network. Being locked yo any other network, including Three-UK, will not work.

Also, are you sure it's the only one with coverage? Have you tried any others out, or where did you find this information. Three is probably the worst one to go with. Even though they have coverage, the majority of users find it unusable anyway, a lot of the time.

hi i got the info from carphone warehouse(he showed me the coverage map) .got no coverage with 02 as i have 3g phones they work some areas but not where i am.can i get a trial with the pre-pay dongle?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you say you have a 3g phone, so to see if you have 3g signal around you house, just go to a few different windows and do a network search on your mobile (like you do when you go abroad), the phone will list off all the available 2g phone networks, and all the available 3g networks, and will clearly label them, but sadly it wont give you signal strength

checking on my phone now it got

vodafone
    o2
    meteor
    3g-vodafone

so i can go in and buy a vodafone 3g modem, hmmm, think i'll stick with my eircom 3mb

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

jor el wrote: »
    Three is probably the worst one to go with. Even though they have coverage, the majority of users find it unusable anyway, a lot of the time.

Have to dissagree. At first it was pretty bad i used to have perfect singal but it just refused to work at any high speeds...nowadays, with at least the last 7 or 8 months, its beeen flying it!:D

when i go to network,operator selection on my n95 it shows the 4 networks. only vodafone and 3 are showing up 3g?

• Advertisement

Your obviously not able to pick up o2 3g signal where you live so its either 3 or vodafone at least for the time being! Have a look at this for a price comparision http://www.3ireland.ie/broadband/compare.htm

coffey-16 wrote: »
    Your obviously not able to pick up o2 3g signal where you live so its either 3 or vodafone at least for the time being! Have a look at this for a price comparision http://www.3ireland.ie/broadband/compare.htm

ya definitely dont have o2 anyway.is 3 the only one doing pre-pay i'm not interested in a contract.

As far as i know vodafone only do pay monthly...3 could be your only option if thats the case!:rolleyes:

As far as i know vodafone only do pay monthly...3 could be your only option if thats the case!:rolleyes:
    thanks i'm gonna try and pick up a 2nd hand one now with the downturn biting.does the model matter or does it just have to be unlocked/locked to 3

You can use any of the 2nd hand locked models as long as they are meant to be used with 3ireland using one that is even meant for 3uk wont work!

• Advertisement

ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭iamlegend2008

You can use any of the 2nd hand locked models as long as they are meant to be used with 3ireland using one that is even meant for 3uk wont work!

Hi, Im using a 3 3GB prepay UK modem here in Ireland and its works fine. However, the modem must be registered on the 3 UK network before its used here. There are no roaming charges because of an agreement setup between 3 companies in different countries.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dave, have you looked a the inq phone 3 have at the moment, works as a modem as well....haven't heard any reports on using it as a modem but it's in the instruction book.....works out better value than a modem cause you'll be getting 10e in credit back every month you top up.......don't think you can use the free credit to buy the 10gb data add on but you could use it for calls etc......just a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Hi, Im using a 3 3GB prepay UK modem here in Ireland and its works fine. However, the modem must be registered on the 3 UK network before its used here. There are no roaming charges because of an agreement setup between 3 companies in different countries.

Cheers

You are using a 3UK modem and a 3Uk sim, a 3Uk modem will not work with a 3Irl sim

Advertisement