Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop running too hot

Options
  • 17-01-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭

Any ideas .....

My laptop has been shutting down recently for no apparent reason, until I felt the base & its really hot.

I installed NCH software & its flashing warnings that the CPU is running at 86 degrees ! - the fan is definitely working - any thoughts ?

The laptop is about 18 months old - its an Advent 7113

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Andip wrote: »
    Any ideas .....

My laptop has been shutting down recently for no apparent reason, until I felt the base & its really hot.

I installed NCH software & its flashing warnings that the CPU is running at 86 degrees ! - the fan is definitely working - any thoughts ?

The laptop is about 18 months old - its an Advent 7113

Think its solved - We've had building work in the house recently - opened up the laptop and the fins of the cooling 'tube ?' that leads to the CPU had a thick layer of plaster dust on it...cleaned it off & its running at about 56 degrees.....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭087dannyboy

How can you tell what degrees the cpu is at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

There are several programs that can do the job for you.
    I think Speed Fan was the name of the one I previously used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Andip wrote: »
    Think its solved - We've had building work in the house recently - opened up the laptop and the fins of the cooling 'tube ?' that leads to the CPU had a thick layer of plaster dust on it...cleaned it off & its running at about 56 degrees.....

What did you do to remove the dust?

Gently brush it off with a fine bristle brush or use a vacuum cleaner, obviously not sticking the nozzle right on top of the fins!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,001 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RichyX wrote: »
    There are several programs that can do the job for you.
    I think Speed Fan was the name of the one I previously used.
    Everest now also has live sensor readout. And the moo0 system monitor reads Hard Disk temperature.

• Advertisement

I used NHC - Notebook Hardware Control - it was recommended to me & its free - not sure how accurate the temp gauge is, but it got me out of trouble - details here http://www.pbus-167.com/

Profiler wrote: »
    What did you do to remove the dust?

Gently brush it off with a fine bristle brush or use a vacuum cleaner, obviously not sticking the nozzle right on top of the fins!

I removed the offending piece from the laptop & cleaned it very gently with a pure bristle paint brush - worked a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

I was just going to say check the fins on the cooling block, but you've got it sorted.
    One thing that you could do if you didn't want to open the laptop up, is use a hoover on the grills and vents on the underside and side of the laptop. This usually works for normal dust buildup.
    I've a small wallmounted hoover, it has an attachment with bristles, I use this on the exterior vents on the laptop and have yet to open the laptop up.

On my Desktops or other repair jobs I also use a clean paintbrush, seems to be the best for the job, and the temp difference can be quite dramatic

Rgds,
    s

I was just going to say check the fins on the cooling block, but you've got it sorted.
    One thing that you could do if you didn't want to open the laptop up, is use a hoover on the grills and vents on the underside and side of the laptop. This usually works for normal dust buildup.
    I've a small wallmounted hoover, it has an attachment with bristles, I use this on the exterior vents on the laptop and have yet to open the laptop up.

On my Desktops or other repair jobs I also use a clean paintbrush, seems to be the best for the job, and the temp difference can be quite dramatic

Rgds,
    s

Is there any danger from static when you use a vaccuum on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Ther should be no problems with static, as it's the outside of the case (not inside the laptop), if you leave it plugged it, but with the Wall socket turned off, then it's grounded through the earth pin of the plug and any static should be dissapated.
    The laptop case is plastic which is a potential for static.
    and the places on the bottom and sides of the laptop are for incomming air and this is where the cooling fins are, so you're basically cleaning dust from the cooling fins etc...

anyway static is too much hyped for general components, I was talking with a guy from a reliability lab in the us as few years ago, and they only had one SMT component that they could confirm as a static shock victim, saying that, I observe all static controlls when handling any processors or graphics cards, as static could destroy these due to the extremely small size...
    I'm not going to take the risk whit those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement