Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera gear as hand luggage.

Options
  • 17-01-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Flying to Italy with Ryan Air in May. What is the largest camera bag I can take on Board as hand luggage?:confused:
    My Kit will be 2 canon bodies, 70-200 f2.8, 17-85, 18-55, 55-250 IS about 5 filters plus Batteries and chargers. My current bag cant carry this, would anyone recommend the Lowepro mini treker AW? Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I normally take my Lowepro CompuTrekker AW when I travel. Never had an issue with it.

It should certainly fit all you need/want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi.

I'ved moved this to here as it doesn't really belong in Photo Challenges per se.

I have a Computrekker AW as well and I suspect you'll get everything into it okay. I'd question bringing both the 70-200 and the 55-250 though.

Ryanair have a cabin baggage allowance of 10kg. You may want to bear this in mind when you are packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry to hijack the thread but i figured i'd not start a new thread for myself.

I'm travelling to the states for 3 months and want to take my equipment with me.

i have

canon 450D
    canon 70-200mm f/4
    canon 18-55mm kit lens
    canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
    canon 50mm f/1.8

and will probably buy a flash over there probably a speedlite 580ex II and maybe - depending how cash flow is an Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

and i might be needing a space for a laptop too if possible.

what bag would suit me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I just checked as you were posting and have updated.

I've never had a problem with any airline, with the LowePro CompuTrekker AW. I've flown with - Ryanair, Aer Lingus, BA, Delta, United Airlines, Continental Airlines, and more.

• Advertisement

The CompuTrekker is JUST outside the Ryanair size limit, but seems to be within other airline guides. I've never had a problem. Yeah, it's always a better idea to keep it on your back, rather than at your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Just be careful with Ryanair as they usually only 1 piece of handlugage... So I had a problem with taking camerabag & handbag which wasn't allowed. Leaving from Dublin was no prob, they're not as strict, coming back from Brussels I was f*cked... So maybe flying in to Italy won't be a problem, coming back might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

sNarah wrote: »
    Just be careful with Ryanair as they usually only 1 piece of handlugage... So I had a problem with taking camerabag & handbag which wasn't allowed. Leaving from Dublin was no prob, they're not as strict, coming back from Brussels I was f*cked... So maybe flying in to Italy won't be a problem, coming back might.

Thats not just ryanair,thats most airports in the U.K anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Paulw wrote: »
    I normally take my Lowepro CompuTrekker AW when I travel. Never had an issue with it.

It should certainly fit all you need/want.

I have travelled with a number of airlines (including Ryanair) with the Compu Trekker and have had no problems. It looks like the OP will need something as big as the Compu Trekker to fit all that gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i've travelled in and out of a few British, american and far east airports on a few occasions over the last 4/5 months and the bag i carried two cameras and three lens one of them being a 70-200 f2, Speedlight and assorted chargers, batteries etc. + a 15" laptop was a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 link
    it's exactly the dimensions as approved by all internation and local carriers.

it's a bit hit and miss with some of the carriers, I was flying into Cork recently from Heathrow and it was like a train from Calcutta to Kabul people had big cardboard boxes and bigger suitcases than i had in the checked luggage some had huge backpacks, there was at least one childs buggy that i saw - all was missing were some chickens and a few goats!!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

I travelled with Ryanair last Wednesday from Dublin, and they seem to be tightening up on the hand baggage regulations. After checking in my main suitcase, they asked me to confirm I had only 1 piece of hand luggage, then they weighed this at the check-in. Following this, they stuck a large label on it, presumably to be checked at the boarding gate.

So, beware if your hand baggage does not meet the limits stated on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eddie65

I have travelled on Ryanair to Spain a few times and Aer Lingus to the States with a Tamrac 9 backpack which I had a camera boby 4 lens and flash plus some accesseries it can also hold a laptop and have never been quizzed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Calina wrote: »
    Ryanair have a cabin baggage allowance of 10kg. You may want to bear this in mind when you are packing.

Be very careful as Ryanair can be somewhat over zealous sometimes with regards to the weight. Many a time I have shoved various bits into a large coat I have with me to keep the guys/gals happy and put them back into my bag after leaving checkin.

Every time I fly from to Shannon from Liverpool they check the weight.

Yet when I fly to other European destinations they couldn't give a rats ass - go figure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I never had problems, i also use LowePro CompuTrekker AW and take the laptop all the time, they never checked the weigh even to the US they never checked or queried by backpack, and you always see people inside of your plane with way bigger suitcases...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thank you for all the replies. Will go looking for a bag this week end or next. Think Mini-treker A.W looks good bet from what I have seen on some sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

May I ask if you have experience and/or opinion on these bags?

Lowepro Stealth D650
    Domke F-2
    Lowepro Magnum
    Hama Defender 220

Domke and Lowepro Magnum don't have compartment for laptop, big disadvantage. However I had Domke F-2 loaded with L lenses the whole day on my shoulder and it was brilliant.
    I would appreciate your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I'm travelling ryanair in a couple of weeks time, so I've been doing some research on this. Their luggage limits are spelled out on their website, basically:
    - checkin: up to 3 bag, max total weight 15kg
    - carry on bag: one bag only, max weight 10kg, 55cmx40xmx20cm
    1 bag = 1 bag!
    i.e. if you have a hand bag, laptop bag etc. that is your one bag!
    They seem to be getting stricter in recent weeks, e.g. see this story from last wed:
    Ryanair will fine passengers who try to break cabin baggage rules

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

I travel on ryanair to Tennis and snooker events with my hand luggage as cameras/laptops/and lenses, the bag should be 10KG, but its always 16 KG and you can get away with that, but one bag is one bag now-a-days (sometimes you cant take a Tescos bag with you!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishsnooker/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

aer lingus are different (as are other air lines I would guess?)
    Additional small items (cameras, personal stereos, overcoats, handbags) are allowed.
    I don't think ryanair allow the additional small items, with the exception of coats? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I recently saw signs at Gatwick Airport for some of the UK Airlines. They were advertising there was no weight restriction on hand luggage. It still has to comply with the size restrictions & also be able to be lifted into the overhead lockers.

Wonder if that policy will spread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Flew out of Glasgow Prestwick during the week and they had notices all over the place about only 1 piece of hand luggage on all Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

After spending two weeks with a weighing scales and selecting ultra light knapsacks and reinforced nylog bags Iwould happily consider driving to Australia.6034073

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Hmmm, wonder what their definition of small camera is.

Surprised they allow a laptop as an extra item as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well if you keep to the weight and dimensions, do what I saw a female passenger do in Heathrow not so long ago.

She had a handbag, laptop and small carry-on bag. When stopped and told she couldn't take all three on board, produced a black bin liner, chucked them all in and tied a knot in it. The guard just looked gobsmacked, when she said "I've checked the dimensions and weight" and off she went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

ThOnda wrote: »
    May I ask if you have experience and/or opinion on these bags?

Lowepro Stealth D650
    Domke F-2
    Lowepro Magnum
    Hama Defender 220

Domke and Lowepro Magnum don't have compartment for laptop, big disadvantage. However I had Domke F-2 loaded with L lenses the whole day on my shoulder and it was brilliant.
    I would appreciate your opinion.

Sorry I dont have any information on these bags. But it Looks like I will settle for either the Lowepro Mini treker A.W. which will carry all my gear safely, 2 camera bodies, and 4 lens 70-200, 17-85, 55-250 and converter plus flash, cables, batteries and filters or the Lowepro Fastpack 300 which I think will fit all my gear in, at a squeese. It looks a nice bag. I wont bring my laptop. I suppose the other question is Do I really need to bring the 70-200 f2.8 to lug around the Italian Alps and Dolimites? I really like the 55-250 which is a really good lens and just that will be enough!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I just don't like back-bags from unknown reason. They are more comfortable, practical and bigger than shoulder bags, but I don't know. I feel like school kid with it on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i flew with Singapore airlines recently, and i brought in one bag:
    1 Laptop
    2 bodies
    2 speedlights
    3 lenses (1 being a 70-200 f2.8 IS)
    batteries, chargers, cables filters etc.
    god knows how much it weighed!! they didn't, either outgoing or incoming ask to weigh the bag - but i had read that notice on their website - i think if the bag is compact looking enough and it's not appearing to anchor you to the ground - you might be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The 'planes are so much bigger, so more luggage can be carried, I expect.

I'm re-posting this, as it contains all the information I have on surviving with a very small hand luggage allowance:

My cameras and lenses have separate lightweight bags which I have managed to fit into a very light North Face rucksack for airline travel. The "Flyweight" range also include a larger rucksack and a duffle bag, but I chose the smallest, which weighs 10 ounces:

http://www.basegear.com/north-face-flyweight-pack.html

I intend to carry a stronger bag, stored in my checked luggage, which is heavier and also safe for use in city walks. There are also fabulous strong polynylon.sacks which protect from moisture. Combined with bubble wrap, these should make shock-proof and very lightweight systems for putting into rucksacks:
    http://www.blacks.co.uk/rucksacks/compression-sacks/product/095297.html

I find the staff in the Snow and Rock shop in the Dundrum Centre extremely friendly and helpful. Rather than buy online I have been able to see anything I need before buying:

http://www.snowandrock.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was in Paris for the weekend, flew with Ryanair and thought that they have become much stricter with regard to hand luggage since my last trip with them in Summer, I saw many people asked to fit their bags into the blue frame at check in desks and one guy had his weighed as well.

They are not consistent either, in Dublin my wife had to put her handbag into her travel bag before security, but there was no such restriction in Beauvais, but there she had to get it checked for size twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Keep in mind that they're much more likely to weigh your bags when your flight is full, as if everyone carries the maximum sized bag they actually don't have enough room in the overhead bins and they'll try to make you check your stuff in.

Advertisement