Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fried mars bar

Options
  • 17-01-2009 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

i know, i know! call me a pervert... but is there a place in LIM where I can get a fried mars bar? i never had one before and i feel brave enough to try one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

go buy a mars bar and go into fords and ask them,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Munchins grill in Corbally beside Tesco Express do them. I had one once. They are nice but I wont be eating them again, I value my arteries:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Donkey Fords do a battered mars bar afaik but I think you have to supply your own mars bar.

Your cholesterol will go through the roof. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I did this at home. You can buy this stuff from Dunnes or Tesco which is a chinese batter, add a bit of water and dip whatever you want in it and deep fry it.

I did this with a Star bar and a wispa. The wispa completely melts so that when you break the batter with your teeth all the melted chocolate runs into your mouth.

It took a few years off my life. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Berty wrote: »
    I did this at home. You can buy this stuff from Dunnes or Tesco which is a chinese batter, add a bit of water and dip whatever you want in it and deep fry it.

I did this with a Star bar and a wispa. The wispa completely melts so that when you break the batter with your teeth all the melted chocolate runs into your mouth.

It took a few years off my life. ;)

That sounds epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Fries with That near the cornmarket used to do them, but I'm not sure if the place is still open. Its defo something you'd only do once for the sake of your health :)

DarkJager wrote: »
    Fries with That near the cornmarket used to do them, but I'm not sure if the place is still open. Its defo something you'd only do once for the sake of your health :)

Closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Closed down.

Thats a shame, the food was actually pretty tasty in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

DarkJager wrote: »
    Thats a shame, the food was actually pretty tasty in there!

Fries With that was absolutely top class. The battered sausages were unparalleled and the portions were savage. The guy running the place was a serious gent also, really on the ball when it came to customer service. I remember it had a bebo page and so did the lobster pot, I spent a good week on bebo trying to get the lobster Pot and fries with that to have a fight in Perry Square. Terrible shame that place never took off, I think it was the location maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

You could taste the 5 years the food took off your life though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

That fried mars bar thing is a scottish thing isn't it? my father had one in glasgow, said he could only manage one bite of it. He said it was nice but hard to chew and hurts the teeth. and you feel full after one bite anyway. It's a rotten idea but i wouldn't mind a bite to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

half a deep fried mars bar + ice cream = FRICKING DELICIOUS..

as far as i know it's a scottish thing..they seem to enjoy deep frying anything :D

The wispa completely melts so that when you break the batter with your teeth all the melted chocolate runs into your mouth.

~droolz~

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's 4 or 5 places that do battered Mars bars down in Dingle, but I've never heard of anywhere in Limerick doing them.

I shared one with a friend last summer, they really are the best confectionary ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I am pretty sure anything fried would taste nice! I think Homer did it in the simpsons once?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Beer battered chips had them in NZ god they were good.

As for the artery clogging wispa hope you keep the shock paddles close
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i think you can still get them in belfast if thats any use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

had one a few weeks ago, similar debate on the sligo board, was an interesting experience, not one i will be in a hurry to try again, the combination of greasy batter, melted chocolate and caramel and nougat was definatly very filling, half way through did not think i would finish it, eventually did, and took a litre of water to wash it down and flush it out

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Fries With that was absolutely top class. The battered sausages were unparalleled and the portions were savage. The guy running the place was a serious gent also, really on the ball when it came to customer service. I remember it had a bebo page and so did the lobster pot, I spent a good week on bebo trying to get the lobster Pot and fries with that to have a fight in Perry Square. Terrible shame that place never took off, I think it was the location maybe.

Hello lads,

I've just found this wee thread ,an to say it brought a tear to my eye would be a lie, but it did bring a smile to my lips.

I am that guy mentioned above and it is indeed a shame that the place never took off.
    If you're used to the area you'll appreciate that the serious slowdown of business in the cornmarket bar, the sale of burgers in the trinity rooms and the closing of the market night club left me with an uphill battle.

It was good whilst it lasted but alas it has left a serious financial hole in my pocket.

Our fish and chips was the best in Limerick, our house burger was 5oz of pure irish beef and our batter was and still is an old family secret.....I wonder would donkies be interested in paying me a fortune for it.

Fries.

Hello Fries-with-that.

Im sure if you contact David in Rios(Parnell/Castletroy) he would be only to glad to accomodate you by buying your secret.

He has the right menu, the ingredients, the customer base of students and drunks/pregnant women who will generally eat anything.

Hopefully you find another venture for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

cooperguy wrote: »
    Munchins grill in Corbally beside Tesco Express do them. I had one once. They are nice but I wont be eating them again, I value my arteries:D

They used to do (and prob still do) deep fried jammy dodger biscuits!! amazing;)

Advertisement