Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro letter in this months Edge

Options
  • 16-01-2009 10:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I know feelings in this Games forum are mixed about Edge magazine, but I was proud as punch today when the new Edge carried a letter by myself about Retro consoles, and todays consoles when they are retro.
    It's published under my real world name Peter Davis.

If anyone reads the mag, have a look at the letters page and tell me what you think.

It's good to push the retro agenda!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Nice one. I'll have a look.

One of the topics I made on their forum a few years ago made the magazine. I also got a paragraph in the Top 100 games special extoling the virtues of Gitarooman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

YOU HAVE A REAL WORLD NAME?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CCCP^ wrote: »
    YOU HAVE A REAL WORLD NAME?!

Sadly, in my line of work, somebody introducing me to a family member or fellow professional as "Clinical Nurse Manager Ciderman" just wouldn't inspire the same respect or confidence, pity really...

So, I have a real world user name instead, had it a while now, working out well as it happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's published under my real world name Peter Davis.

Grand, should be able to get an address from that. All I need now is a crowbar and your retro collection will be mine! Mwhaha!

Anyway if I'm in town I'll probably pick up Edge and give it a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Congrats :) I'll look out for it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Grand, should be able to get an address from that. All I need now is a crowbar and your retro collection will be mine! Mwhaha!

You'll have to get past security first, namely a vicious trained attack West Highland Terrier and the visceral stomach churning, bowel loosening majesty of my wifes 3 hens...

Oh yes, and you thought a crow bar would suffice!!!

Truth be told, a nominal monetary sum to my wife whilst I'm at work and she'd help you carry them all to the car/van/wheelbarrow/sacks on the side of a donkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Well done , i dont mind Edge myself but i pick it up every month along with Retrogamer and Games TM. Probably the only multiformat mags i trust in relation to game reviews...

GamesTM are a bit soft on reviews while Edge tend to be quite harsh so i always aim somewhere between their two scores

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Truth be told, a nominal monetary sum to my wife whilst I'm at work and she'd help you carry them all to the car/van/wheelbarrow/sacks on the side of a donkey

Does it have to be monetary?? :p

Any chance you can pop a scann pf the letter up?

Nope, it doesn't have to be monetary, it can be blanchardstown centre vouchers either!!

And, I'll see what I can do with posting the letter itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You wrote the letter, therefore owned the copyright in it, and you may still own it.

Provided conditions, which you might have had to accept for sending the letter to Future Publishing / for the letter to be published, do not assign the copyright to Future Publishing, then you are free to do with it what you want.

Post your own letter, not a scan of the publication, and you should be clear of any copyright issues :cool:

I congratulated you before in the general retro thread, but am doing so again in the 'relevant' thread (particularly as the letter contents do reflect my own feelings about the issue).

That said, the UK's going to have a proper (Council of Arts-funded, etc, etc.) videogame museum in Bradford, just up the road from me - Yay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement